Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy, Will Oilers Fans Have Any Good Oilers News on Canada Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
It's painful. I really like Bouchard. Yet posters swear I hate him. I followed Bouchard through his junior days. But he is the most overrated player in hockey... at least on this board. I've followed hockey for a long time and this is the worst case I've ever witnessed.

You'd tap that three years after she passed away. That's the real PLINKO.
Cold Ethyl
She is still alive though

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Things could still change. I think a lot of trades could still be made. Especially for teams like Winnipeg and Calgary.

Vegas is more or less the same team that won the cup to me. Sure they lost Smith, but thats about it really. We rarely see teams repeat though, so hard to say what Vegas will be after their cup hangover. I think they will still make the playoffs though but they likely wont have the same drive that took them to a cup.

Not sure on LA. I think they are worse but we will see. I personally dont care for PLD so I think they have less depth than they did before (without much of a talent upgrade). There goaltending is pretty awful. But I dont really know if the Kings are done, I could see another move or two from them. I think LA has more talent that then are given but as long as McLellan is their coach, I think they are always going to fall short.

Seattle will be interesting. I discounted them all year. They made the playoffs with very poor goaltending. They were more impressive in the playoffs than I probably gave them credit for. Probably will still be a playoff team, but I dont think I really consider them a threat.

Calgary. They will be worse and are a mess. Some trades are probably coming. Even if their players werent leaving and they were running back, I still dont think they would be a playoff team. I guess they could be a wild card because I dont see much from the Central outside of Colorado, Dallas and Minnesota.

Vancouver - I think if Demko is healthy, they could pass Calgary but thats not saying much. Nothing team.

Anaheim/SJ - Wet fart noise

Central is pretty woof. Colorado and Dallas really the only two teams to note. Minnesota cant beat anyone else but could probably hex the Oilers. Who knows with Winnipeg - there are a lot of shoes to drop there but they are probably a mess. Nashville is a nothing team. I could see St. Louis improve and maybe be a wildcard team (but thats more because all the other teams are mess), I think they are a non factor. Chicago and Arizona ... wet fart noise.
Good post. Needs to be remembered in fiarness that PLD went from one less than ideal situation to another and a Jets team that is a notoriously clusterf*** room with dissent. I mean its one of the reasons he was there in the first place getting Laine out of there as the knives were in on him too. LA is nothing like that instead a team with two leaders that won cups and a pretty solid supporting crew that fosters a decent room. There will be more expectation in LA and more pushback from team, in an effective way if PLD is dogging it. They tend not to have too many passengers in LA.

I'm with you on Seattle in that I was wrong. But I still think there could be fallback. They were getting legend goaltending when I watched. Making playoffs sure shouldn't be hard in this division. Really its an indictment if you don't finish first 3 spots because of the competition. I see Vegas, Edmonton, LA getting the spots in no particular order. Seattle WC again.

I would still tap Diane from The Price is Right and she is 78. Puts new meaning to the phrase COME ON DOWN
I still have the Playboy edition. Probably a collectors item. She does look fine in that, um, long time ago. hehe

Cold Ethyl, lol. Love that tune.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Every team that wins the cup experiences attrition. Name one team that hasn't lost players post cup win. Vegas are still gonna be stiff opposition. Especially playoffs.

Pace doesn't mean a lot when a player is increasingly injured or not in the lineup. As others have said its not actual pts. Vegas have a deep lineup at every spot.

its funny that I find myself on this side of the argument as I always liked Reilly Smith. Just lol bad finish sometimes. if there was a trophy for firing high and wide with an open net Smith would win it. The good news is his pace and anticipation gets him so many scoring chances. he's like Nuge in that regard. In right spots a lot of the time.

I'll take back the wordage. Could have worded it better. Didn't think it was a point people would hang on being an out of town kind of thing. heh Its a slow news day here.
Yeah... I didn't say differently? I just said they're worse than they were. Which is true. No team in the league can lose a Reilly Smith caliber player and not be worse for it.

Reactions: Macblender

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Good post. Needs to be remembered in fiarness that PLD went from one less than ideal situation to another and a Jets team that is a notoriously clusterf*** room with dissent. I mean its one of the reasons he was there in the first place getting Laine out of there as the knives were in on him too. LA is nothing like that instead a team with two leaders that won cups and a pretty solid supporting crew that fosters a decent room. There will be more expectation in LA and more pushback from team, in an effective way if PLD is dogging it. They tend not to have too many passengers in LA.

I'm with you on Seattle in that I was wrong. But I still think there could be fallback. They were getting legend goaltending when I watched. Making playoffs sure shouldn't be hard in this division. Really its an indictment if you don't finish first 3 spots because of the competition. I see Vegas, Edmonton, LA getting the spots in no particular order. Seattle WC again.

I still have the Playboy edition. Probably a collectors item. She does look fine in that, um, long time ago. hehe

Cold Ethyl, lol. Love that tune.
I always thought she was hottest piece of ass going

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
they lost 45 goals in Vilardi, Durzi and Iofalo and gained 36 goals in PLD and Lewis...now banking on rookies to get it done and an aging and slowing Kopitar to repeat
their defense is worse
their goaltending is worse

no, LA isn't better at all
Clarke was fantastic on his stint, so much so they even played him on his opposite side for a couple games, and he faired well.

He was only sent down cuz they weren't willing to tank players like Durzi and Walkers contracts, and to not burn a year of his ELC.

Also, go look at what he did this year on the OHL. It was downright disgusting. He's a gamer

The Kopitar slowing down thing has been spouted for years. Pretty sure Kopy will be just fine yet again as long as Kempe plays the same.

Durzi cost them 5 games that i watched, so it isn't even remotely a " if someone can fill his minutes" scenario, it's an upgrade regardless

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Clarke was fantastic on his stint, so much so they even played him on his opposite side for a couple games, and he faired well.
He was only sent down cuz they weren't willing to tank players like Durzi and Walkers contracts, and to not burn a year of his ELC.

The Kopitar slowing down thing has been spouted for years. Pretty sure Kopy will be just fine yet again as long as Kempe plays the same.

Durzi cost them 5 games that i watched, so it isn't even remotely a " if someone can fill his minutes" scenario, it's an upgrade regardless
The Oilers scored 25 goals in the series and Doughty was on the ice for 13 of them while being a primary culprit for a lot of them. Anderson was on for 12 against.

Durzi sucks but he was barely a factor by comparison. Kings lost that series because Doughty and Anderson got absolutely caved.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I've watched a lot of hockey in my lifetime. I've watched Bouchard from his sophomore year in London to present day.

During the 2018 draft I had my fingers crossed that the Oilers would select Bouchard. His flaws remain the same throughout. He's a good player. He will never be a great player.

And for the record, I've stated this numerous times if you want check, I'm fine with 6M x 6 years for Bouchard, but a penny more and I'd move him without hesitation. And that's taking into consideration a substantial hike in the salary cap over the next few seasons.

“I’ve watched a lot of hockey” isn’t backing up your claim, it’s confirming your bias. Basically, you just don’t like the player. You cannot claim anything else.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
OH boy.

Idk what season you were watching but Bouchard spent the majority of the season on the bottom pair playing sheltered minutes with Broberg after he struggled early on. But sure, keep looking at those stats without context

I dislike Nurse but I can even admit he was far and away the Oilers best D before Ekholm arrived

Bouchard got babysat by Ekholm at even strength and benefited off a historic PP with McDrai for his points. I'm an Oiler fan but I'm not blinded by bias. Bouchard has great potential but he's not close to a complete player yet
You got proof of that? This is what utter ignorance is. Us analytics folks watch the games, then we check to see if our eyes actually saw what we think we did- if not- we try to reassess. Also, you know so little about analytics you do t even understand they take QoC and linemates into account. Bouchard didn’t get babysat. Sorry. I love the fact you think it’s just a switch Ekholm flipped.

Nurse was/is the worst of the d-men Oilers have in zone denials and exits. He’s one of the leagues worst. Can’t do it. Lol, ironically, Nurse benefits a huge amount of playing most of his time with McDavid- but I guess you overlooked that. Nurse, when paired with a D-man who is good at puck retrievals and zone denials becomes pretty solid. That’s why Bear and him worked. But you knew that.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
“I’ve watched a lot of hockey” isn’t backing up your claim, it’s confirming your bias. Basically, you just don’t like the player. You cannot claim anything else.
Bouchard is on the ice with McDrai for points and the other team plays accordingly, like McDrai is on the ice. What do you think that means? How are they positioned? Who are they covering? Who are they watching?

And Bouchard has a phenomenal partner in Ekholm now... put it all together.

by the way I just finished stating I have no problem locking up Bouchard for 6 years. I stated this over a dozen times now. That's how much "I don't like the player."

It's a struggle.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bouchard is on the ice with McDrai for points and the other team plays accordingly, like McDrai is on the ice. What do you think that means? How are they positioned? Who are they covering? Who are they watching?

And Bouchard has a phenomenal partner in Ekholm now... put it all together.

by the way I just finished stating I have no problem locking up Bouchard for 6 years. I stated this over a dozen times now. That's how much "I don't like the player."

It's a struggle.
You say you like the player, but like all your posts lately are saying we can’t win with him, he is only Pp points and he needs to be gone yesterday.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
You got proof of that? This is what utter ignorance is. Us analytics folks watch the games, then we check to see if our eyes actually saw what we think we did- if not- we try to reassess. Also, you know so little about analytics you do t even understand they take QoC and linemates into account. Bouchard didn’t get babysat. Sorry. I love the fact you think it’s just a switch Ekholm flipped.

Nurse was/is the worst of the d-men Oilers have in zone denials and exits. He’s one of the leagues worst. Can’t do it. Lol, ironically, Nurse benefits a huge amount of playing most of his time with McDavid- but I guess you overlooked that. Nurse, when paired with a D-man who is good at puck retrievals and zone denials becomes pretty solid. That’s why Bear and him worked. But you knew that.
Ekholm saved Bouchard’s season. Every sane person knows this

If you put Bouchard in Nurse’s shoes, he’s crumble and I don’t like Nurse

Reactions: McDoused

Macblender

May 5, 2014

Also, go look at what he did this year on the OHL. It was downright disgusting. He's a gamer

Kopi had a stellar year but will be what 36 next season closer to 37 by the playoffs with lots of miles on him. Is he going to be bad by any means no but is he forever just going to be close to a ppg two way stalward idk what next season holds.

Clarke will be good but I like our chances if they are relying on him on a top pair vs McDavid or Drai. Rookie D who has all world edge control and agility to the point his skating is still a strong suit but top end speed isnt quite there. But at the same time I expect growing pains on his way to becoming a 1D.

Either way I think the Kings either treaded water at best or are worse on forward and at G in my view depending on which PLD shows up and for how long. They need a big deadline to give us as much of a challenge as they did last year IMO especially for goaltending.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
It’s kinda like saying you’ve read every single copy of Penthouse letters ever printed. Yeah you probably had some exciting moments but it don’t make ya an expert.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Kopi had a stellar year but will be what 36 next season closer to 37 by the playoffs with lots of miles on him. Is he going to be bad by any means no but is he forever just going to be close to a ppg two way stalward idk what next season holds.

Clarke will be good but I like our chances if they are relying on him on a top pair vs McDavid or Drai. Rookie D who has all world edge control and agility to the point his skating is still a strong suit but top end speed isnt quite there. But at the same time I expect growing pains on his way to becoming a 1D.

Either way I think the Kings either treaded water at best or are worse on forward and at G in my view depending on which PLD shows up and for how long. They need a big deadline to give us as much of a challenge as they did last year IMO especially for goaltending.
Kopitar also got pumped at even strength in the playoffs. 4 goals for 7 goals against, same as Kempe. Doughty-Anderson 4 goals for 8 against. Byfield 3 for 8 against.

Biggest plus for LA next season is having Gavrikov from the start, who was their best defenseman.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I think Ken Holland is a level 5000 troll, for the most part he eventually gets something done, he doesn’t overreact.

He knows the roster is good enough to make the playoffs as is and will wait to make the trade he needs.

I’ll give the old man the benefit of the doubt, the team he has assembled this year was capable of winning the cup, it came down to execution and goaltending. Maybe you blame him for the goaltending but otherwise he’s got us close.

The longer toews stays unsigned I wonder if he gets him for nothing or something like that.

Guess we will see, back to summer for me, I’ll keep popping back once in a while.

Reactions: fresh meat

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Kopitar also got pumped at even strength in the playoffs. 4 goals for 7 goals against, same as Kempe. Doughty-Anderson 4 goals for 8 against. Byfield 3 for 8 against.

Biggest plus for LA next season is having Gavrikov from the start, who was their best defenseman.
2 straight years of Kopitar getting exposed in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad