Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Holmes*

Trade him to the Leafs for Kadri + or try to pry Rielly out of them.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Trade him to the Leafs for Kadri + or try to pry Rielly out of them.

No, please. I don't want to risk the possibility of him going to the Leafs and then burning us this season and next. Also, Kadri has an attitude problem, and I don't want Don Cherry's kissing buddy on our team. As for Reilly... meh, I don't think he's worth the risk of Spezza burning us while wearing a Toronto uniform.

Send him to the West, where he'll get less media attention, which he will like, and where we wont have to see him too many times per season.

Get a first round pick if possible. We need one this year, especially if Spezza is on the way out.

John Holmes*

The only problem is that Spezza needs to agree on a destination.

Toronto is surely a place he would agree to go, and they do have a few players that could help us down the road.

We know BM would have drafted Kadri if he were still there too.

Leafs are dying for a #1C.

We match up very well with them in a potential Spezza deal.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You can't trade Spezza because nobody will likely pay full value for him. Now if the Leafs offered Kadri, Rielly and a 1st I would do it but otherwise you are best to hang onto him and hope he finds his game again.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Can we please not trade spezza to the leafs. Spezza would most likely regain his form and punish the sens for the rest of his career. Bishop is already becoming a sens killer. We do not need spezza to become another one if he gets traded to the leafs. In addition, i extremely doubt murray would even think about trading spezza within our division.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
otherwise you are best to hang onto him and hope he finds his game again.

But what if he doesn't? This isn't some random slump for Spezza. Its clearl injuries are slowing him down.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You have a majority. At least on these boards. You should just be happy with that and leave the rest of us dullards out of your crusade.:)

Agreed. I still maintain that 30 mediocre games isn't enough to give up on Spezza, and I hope management feels the same way.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Can we please not trade spezza to the leafs. Spezza would most likely regain his form and punish the sens for the rest of his career. Bishop is already becoming a sens killer. We do not need spezza to become another one if he gets traded to the leafs. In addition, i extremely doubt murray would even think about trading spezza within our division.

One game and Bishop is a senators killer?

The Fuhr*

You can't trade Spezza because nobody will likely pay full value for him. Now if the Leafs offered Kadri, Rielly and a 1st I would do it but otherwise you are best to hang onto him and hope he finds his game again.

I thought that too before looking into his contract.
Spezza is easily affordable for everyone.
There would be a sweet bidding war for him... Contending teams could use Spezza as there 3-4 best forward.

Only thing that hurts value is the NTC but if Spezza is willing to move it... He will return a Ryan type package... Spezza is so cheap in today's NHL.

The Fuhr*

Sens could even retain the portion of his cap hit that exceeds his salary.

Spezza at a 4.0 cap hit and salary next season... He'd return a huge amount

John Holmes*

I wouldn't worry about Spezza too much, if he were a Leaf. He'll just give the puck away to us instead.

I'd be all over a Spezza - Kadri trade.

Kadri is exactly the kind of guy we need on the team.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Trade him this deadline or next. By both of those dates, you have a better idea than you do at the moment of Spezza's playing value.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I wouldn't worry about Spezza too much, if he were a Leaf. He'll just give the puck away to us instead.

And then we'll score a goal. After that, he'll set up 3 goals and score one himself.

Great plan!

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Players with cap hits that exceed their salaries only provide good returns from cap floor teams. A team that would want Spezza would more likely be a cap ceiling team, and his contract is the opposite to what you want in that scenario.

Spezza's real salary next season is 4 M, but his cap hit is 7 M. That means keeping Spezza allows the Sens to spend 3 M in real money below the floor when the cap goes up to 1-2 M past the internal budget figure. He is not going anywhere for many reasons, and his internal cap friendly contract is at the top of the list.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006

of prospects/picks. Then we can watch the team raise those guys into players over the next four years while the team finishes two spots out of the playoffs each year.

Super.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Just so everyone is clear on the retaining salary and cap provisions of the CBA as they try to trade Spezza, here is Clause 11 "Retained Salary Transactions":

In the context of Player Trades, participating Clubs will be permitted to allocate the AA and related
Salary and Bonus payment obligations between them, subject to specified parameters (“Retained
Salary Transaction”). Specifically, the Club trading a Player may agree to retain a percentage of the
SPC’s AA and related Salary and Bonus obligations for each of the remaining years of the Player’s
SPC, up to 50% of the SPC’s AA. In each Retained Salary Transaction, the percentage allocation
of the retained AA and retained Salary and Bonuses must be the same (i.e., the Salary and Bonus
obligations as between Clubs would be allocated on the same percentage basis as the AA being
allocated) and cannot be altered from year to year. So, for instance, if an assigning Club agrees to
retain 30% of an SPC’s AA over the balance of its term, it will also retain an obligation to reimburse
the acquiring Club 30% of the Player’s contractual compensation (Salary and Bonuses) in each of
the remaining years of the contract

Taken from http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CB...ummary_of_Terms_FINAL_-_Jan._12,_2013 (1).pdf

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
When was Spezza's last four point game?

54 games ago, 64 if you count playoff games.

Of the 639 regular season games Spezza has played:
237 games with 0pts (37.1%)
231 games with 1pt (36.2%)
116 games with 2pts (18.2%)
42 games with 3pts (6.6%)
11 games with 4pts (1.7%)
1 game with 5pts (0.2%)
1 game with 6pts (0.2%)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Is there a spezza rumour out there or just more useless talk about moving him cause fans feel like it?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
54 games ago, 64 if you count playoff games.

Of the 639 regular season games Spezza has played:
237 games with 0pts (37.1%)
231 games with 1pt (36.2%)
116 games with 2pts (18.2%)
42 games with 3pts (6.6%)
11 games with 4pts (1.7%)
1 game with 5pts (0.2%)
1 game with 6pts (0.2%)

And how many actual Senators games ago was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad