Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yep Stone over Duchene all day every day. He's one of the top 10 players at his position. Duchene is not.

It really can't he over stated how good Stone can be. He made Smith into a 25 goal scorer. That's how freaking good he is. He made a guy who isn't even NHL calibre into a goal scoring winger. Any line you put him on is our top line regardless of who he plays with.

Duchene is a very good player but he's never really been a guy to elevate his linemates.

This is an easy decision.

Reactions: BigRig4

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Yep Stone over Duchene all day every day. He's one of the top 10 players at his position. Duchene is not.

It really can't he over stated how good Stone can be. He made Smith into a 25 goal scorer. That's how freaking good he is. He made a guy who isn't even NHL calibre into a goal scoring winger. Any line you put him on is our top line regardless of who he plays with.

Duchene is a very good player but he's never really been a guy to elevate his linemates.

This is an easy decision.
This is just not true at all. Stone is a beauty and a good argument can be made he's better and more important than Duchene, but Duchene absolutely makes those around him better. Colorado fans said it, and anyone who watched him last year saw it. He's an excellent player.

Reactions: ThreePosts

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We need all three signed and happy or we really have no chance,Duchene, Stone and EK...Combined with the rest of the team playing well..And we may be able to push for 7th or 8th,without them we give COl 1st oa

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is just not true at all. Stone is a beauty and a good argument can be made he's better and more important than Duchene, but Duchene absolutely makes those around him better. Colorado fans said it, and anyone who watched him last year saw it. He's an excellent player.
Are there any examples of players having massively out of character career years like Smith and Pageau with Stone for Duchene?

Duchene is more of a put his head down and try to go wide on a Dman type guy. He's not super creative and a distributor like Stone. Stone is an Alfie type. You generally know what Duchene is about to do at all times.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Are there any examples of players having massively out of character career years like Smith and Pageau with Stone for Duchene?

Duchene is more of a put his head down and try to go wide on a Dman type guy. He's not super creative and a distributor like Stone. Stone is an Alfie type. You generally know what Duchene is about to do at all times.
Avs fan chiming in. The best example of Duchene making a line mate better is probably Parenteau (also leached off Tavares) or Peter Mueller pre-concussion (20 points in 15 games after being traded to the Avs while playing with Duchene). Duchene and Fleischmann also really worked well together but he proved he could provide offence on his own in Florida.

You’re correct Duchene isn’t really the type to make others better, as he plays a pretty selfish game. I wouldn’t say he tries to beat dmen wide all the time though, what he does is maintain possession by spinning in the corners over and over again until a line mate gets open. All Duchene needs is a player that can get open and shoot. That’s why he worked so well with Hoffman and Mueller, as they were guys that didn’t really need to be engaged in the play to be effective. It was actually very difficult to find players that Duchene meshed really well with. The good thing about Duchene is that since he doesn’t really use his line mates as much, you don’t need to have top line wingers next to him, just get a guy that likes to get open and shoot, that’s all Duchene needs.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yeah Stone is a damn miracle worker when it comes to getting the best out of his linemates. Can pretty much guarantee over a full season that his linemates will have their production boosted by at least 10P by playing with Stone.

Makes sense, as he's one of the smartest players in the game, and players with high end hockey sense tend to be the easiest to play with.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Avs fan chiming in. The best example of Duchene making a line mate better is probably Parenteau (also leached off Tavares) or Peter Mueller pre-concussion (20 points in 15 games after being traded to the Avs while playing with Duchene). Duchene and Fleischmann also really worked well together but he proved he could provide offence on his own in Florida.

You’re correct Duchene isn’t really the type to make others better, as he plays a pretty selfish game. I wouldn’t say he tries to beat dmen wide all the time though, what he does is maintain possession by spinning in the corners over and over again until a line mate gets open. All Duchene needs is a player that can get open and shoot. That’s why he worked so well with Hoffman and Mueller, as they were guys that didn’t really need to be engaged in the play to be effective. It was actually very difficult to find players that Duchene meshed really well with. The good thing about Duchene is that since he doesn’t really use his line mates as much, you don’t need to have top line wingers next to him, just get a guy that likes to get open and shoot, that’s all Duchene needs.

If that's true then Gabriel Gagne may yet become an NHL player. Just get open and shoot!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Duchene creates space by making the D respect his speed, has outstanding core strength (the guy turns like a mofo) and is excellent around the board all while having very smooth hands. He's also solid on faceoffs, which is something I find gets overlooked a lot.

If I had to pick between Stone and Duchene I bedgrudginly pick Stone but we need both of them.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
If that's true then Gabriel Gagne may yet become an NHL player. Just get open and shoot!
I’m not really sure who would work best in Ottawa now that Hoffman is gone, Boedker maybe, he played mostly with Mackinnon on the Avs so it’s hard to say. Duchene also worked well with Eberle for Hockey Canada, who also fits that Mueller/Hoffman mold. Guys like Stone could probably be better utilized with another Center as Duchene doesn’t really need a smart player to play with. For example Duchene and Yakapov actually didn’t look too bad together, as Yakapov didn’t have to think at all, after Duchene got traded, Yakapov quickly became scratched every game.

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Hoffman works well with Duchene because he did just that - got open for a shot. Find Duchene a sniper.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Stone has to stay healthy before I can say he is consistently better than Duchene

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Duchene creates space by making the D respect his speed, has outstanding core strength (the guy turns like a mofo) and is excellent around the board all while having very smooth hands. He's also solid on faceoffs, which is something I find gets overlooked a lot.

If I had to pick between Stone and Duchene I bedgrudginly pick Stone but we need both of them.
If we want to be remotely competitive, we need to sign all three and build around them.

Unfortunately, we don't have an NHL calibre owner.

Reactions: topshelf15

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I’m not really sure who would work best in Ottawa now that Hoffman is gone, Boedker maybe, he played mostly with Mackinnon on the Avs so it’s hard to say. Duchene also worked well with Eberle for Hockey Canada, who also fits that Mueller/Hoffman mold. Guys like Stone could probably be better utilized with another Center as Duchene doesn’t really need a smart player to play with. For example Duchene and Yakapov actually didn’t look too bad together, as Yakapov didn’t have to think at all, after Duchene got traded, Yakapov quickly became scratched every game.

Yeah now that Hoffman's gone we're really lacking in terms of pure shooters. Why I brought up our prospect Gagne, he'll basically be a top 6 sniper or bust. I'm at least hoping he'll click with Boedker, if nothing else it makes for a speedy line.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We know that a six year term was never on the table, no matter how hard you try to spin if to match your claim.

Yes, I know, and I've said so, many times now.

Pierre Dorion stated that Kyle Turris (and his agent) did not ask for a 6 x 6 (what he signed with Nashville)....... that has not been disputed by Kyle Turris (and his agent). This was all said, in the press conference, back in November, when they introduced Duchene ......... we all know that

We do know, according to Kyle Turris himself, who has said he ... "initially asked for a contract that took him into his mid-30s worth roughly $6.5 million per season" ... when he (and his agent) were negotiating his extension with Pierre Dorion.

Kyle turns 29 next month, so depending on how you want to interpret "mid 30s", a 7 or 8 year extension.

Pierre Dorion confirmed this, when he said ... “never going to be movement from seven or eight years. "... in his press conference in November.

Six-Year Extension "Never On The Table" Between Turris, Ottawa

Turris was seeking 6.5 M, and 7 or 8 years from Ottawa.

So really don't know what you're getting at, and what you're accusing me of trying to spin.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
They could easily afford to have all of EK, Stone and Duchene assuming they stay reasonable in their demands (7-8.0 per for the forwards, ~11.0 per for Karlsson)

I agree. The plan should be to build around them. There is good stuff in the pipeline. The 2019-2020 season should see a really nice influx of skill and youth.

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Formenton-Pageau-Ryan
Boedker-Smith-Batherson

Chabot-Karlsson
Who knows?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Theres an option here to just ignore this nonsense you know? We as a collective really need to consider this.
Mods have made it abundantly clear that they have no desire to curb his behavior and will instead infraction you for calling on posters to ignore what we view as trolling.

The alternative is to continuously call him on his errors. I chose to happily point out his errors as often as he posts them.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Mods have made it abundantly clear that they have no desire to curb his behavior and will instead infraction you for calling on posters to ignore what we view as trolling.

The alternative is to continuously call him on his errors. I chose to happily point out his errors as often as he posts them.
Point out the errors as much as you want.

It is against site rules to discuss ignore lists and flame posters by calling them trolls. I cannot make this more clear to you: this is not an HFsens thing; this is a site-wide rule that has been in place for more than a decade. Breaking rules = infractions. That's the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad