Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
If we can't afford Chabot, then we can't afford Laine.

I don’t think Chabot will stay even if we pay up. There’s just no real upside to a long term contract in Ottawa for him.

Laine on the other hand has been rumoured to not be offered anything more than a 5 year deal from the Jets. We might be able to negotiate a seven year deal at around 9 million per.

I’m not advocating for this, but I think the reality is TC is gone and we should start trying to think of every possible option for acquisition.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I don’t think Chabot will stay even if we pay up. There’s just no real upside to a long term contract in Ottawa for him.

Laine on the other hand has been rumoured to not be offered anything more than a 5 year deal from the Jets. We might be able to negotiate a seven year deal at around 9 million per.

I’m not advocating for this, but I think the reality is TC is gone and we should start trying to think of every possible option for acquisition.
Why you think is gone. He said many time in interview that he like to be part of the rebuild. He like the city and his girlfriend study at university of ottawa and it was reported that negotiation go pretty well

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Chabot is team controlled until he is 27. What are you talking about? His contract still has a full year left on it.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It's not Chabot's choice, he's an RFA. As long as the Senators can match an offer sheet, he's staying here.

I would guess that it is more whether the Senators are willing to commit to Chabot at superstar RFA money/term rather than is Chabot willing to commit to the Senators.

Laine isn't coming any cheaper than Chabot. It would be the exact same contractual situation, which is that they both can command superstar RFA contracts. Melnyk would need to pay either one, or risk losing them to an offer sheet.

If our problem is an inability to give Chabot that kind of contract, trading for Laine doesn't solve the problem.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Would Melnyk match an Aho-type offer sheet worth 10.5M x 5YRs made almost entirely of signing bonuses and heavily front-loaded?

That's what I'm worried about. Could see Melnyk preferring a couple 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd as compensation for letting him go and not signing the deal.

Reactions: Cosmix

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
No because that would net us 4 first round draft picks amd chabot is not Karlsson who can pretty much make our team completely competitive for a playoff spot.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
10.5 is just below the threshold of two firsts, second and a third.

Mmm maybe at 5 years but at 7-8 o was pretty sure it is, unless it changed with the cap this year, I was positive last year 100% @ 7-8 years. Don't see an offer sheet being 5 years though.

Unless for some odd reason I'm thinking 11.5 million in which case sorry.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

10.5M is only two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd no matter the length of the term.

Chabot probably prefers a 5YR deal if he wants to bet on himself. Also reduces the risk of being stuck in Ottawa long-term if Melnyk decides to match.

I must 11.5 then like I said sorry I don't like to state bad information. Tbh i was mostly calculating marner and point so I might have been using north of 11.5 as well.

Um well then I think they would match.

IMO threshold is 4 first round draft picks and he's gone.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Mmm maybe at 5 years but at 7-8 o was pretty sure it is, unless it changed with the cap this year, I was positive last year 100% @ 7-8 years. Don't see an offer sheet being 5 years though.

Unless for some odd reason I'm thinking 11.5 million in which case sorry.
I think you're right. A 5 year deal would probably be more appealing to Chabot as it was for Matthews

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Would Melnyk match an Aho-type offer sheet worth 10.5M x 5YRs made almost entirely of signing bonuses and heavily front-loaded?

That's what I'm worried about. Could see Melnyk preferring a couple 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd as compensation for letting him go and not signing the deal.

If the answer is no, it is a trick answer because I don't think it will get to an offer sheet if we cannot match. If they cannot match, they will trade him so that they can control the return.

That would also be beneficial to the team acquiring him, because they can then explore different terms without being restricted by offer sheet compensation.

To Philadelphia
Thomas Chabot (signs an extension with Philadelphia)

To Ottawa
Shayne Gostisbehere (3 years @ 3.25M real cash)
B Prospect
2020 Mid-1st Round Pick
2021 3rd Round Pick

The Sens get to add Gostisbehere at a manageable salary and pretend they are still trying to win (which they aren't if they can't pay Chabot). Ottawa does not get full value for Chabot, but they aren't getting it in this situation. They get more value than a 1st/1st/2nd/3rd that they might get in an offer sheet.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Why you think is gone. He said many time in interview that he like to be part of the rebuild. He like the city and his girlfriend study at university of ottawa and it was reported that negotiation go pretty well

Karlsson and his wife loved the city too.

Doesn't mean much.

Reactions: Cosmix and Deku

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Chabot's also been heavily involved with the current media tour and marketing campaign, where Ottawa was doing their level best to pretend Karlsson didn't exist during their "negotiations".

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Chabot's also been heavily involved with the current media tour and marketing campaign, where Ottawa was doing their level best to pretend Karlsson didn't exist during their "negotiations".

What does a failed Carolina Hurricanes prospect have anything to do with the Chabot negotiations?

Or are you talking about Melker, the guy who is on the Sharks?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Yeah but he have no hate between him and Melnyk like Karlsson

Give it time! I'm sure when Melnyk communicates what he thinks Chabot is worth, hate will develop. How many times do you think Melnyk will ask, "Do you walk on water?"

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Karlsson and his wife loved the city too.

Doesn't mean much.

I am confident that if it had been up to Karlsson, he would be on our roster right now.

Melnyk did not want to keep him. Can't fault Karlsson for getting a much better contract than we were going to offer from San Jose.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I am confident that if it had been up to Karlsson, he would be on our roster right now.

Melnyk did not want to keep him. Can't fault Karlsson for getting a much better contract than we were going to offer from San Jose.

I think Melnyk would have wanted to keep him, but for $7 million per season.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad