Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
8 yrs if re-signing, 6 otherwise. Or 8 yrs if RFA and 4 yrs if UFA. Those are both interesting ideas. I wonder what the unintended consequences of each might be. They do seem to help re-signing our own young players up to first ufa contract.

Max 4 year ufa contracts would seem to be appropriate in such a capped league that requires such constant churn to stay under the cap and redistribute players evenly.

For the cap to work as intended, every player needs to be valued properly and then the players are distributed around the league to make all teams equal. Getting a hometown discount is really a cap circumvention. Imagine if Karlsson and Duchene said they are both willing to sign 1 yr $1mil contracts with the leafs. Cap circumvention? I think there should be a CBA rule that allows half the teams to register a joint complaint.

Im not sure if the NHLPA would really put up too much of a fight or not to prevent the max years going from 8 to 4. I guess 8 yrs helps players get more guaranteed and insured earnings. But 4 yrs also allows more frequent UFA contracts for the best players. I don’t think the PA’s decision on which way to lean here is as clear as I thought. The PA also want to ensure the best players get the chance to be paid market value as often as possible. They are an association not a union.

Im just not as convinced yet that 8 yr ufa contracts are a disadvantage for small market fans that we need to find a solution for. It doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense to say we can afford 4 years 13mil for Karlsson but not 8 yrs $11 mil. And im thinking in cases like this, players like karlsson negotiating a 4 yr contract are likely to get a higher aav than with an 8 yr one so it could even be worse for us. I

Different contract length for RFA's vs UFA's won't work. It makes no sense. UFA's should have more rights than RFA's, not less.

The PA would definitely put up a fight for lower contract length. They fought against capping it at 7/8 in the last CBA. It means less guaranteed money for the players, so ofcourse they won't want it.

The difference between 4x13 and 11x8 contracts is about $30 mill in total dollars. That's pretty significant for a small market.

Dave Poulin was on 1200 this morning talking about how crazy RFA contracts are getting, and this summer will be huge due to the high number of quality RFA's available this summer. I would bet that if the norm becomes for RFA's to seek long term deals at big cap hits the NHL will look to control RFA salaries in the next CBA.

RFA contracts shouldn't be so potentially crippling to teams. The fact some of these guys play 2-3 years and then are commanding UFA type salaries is crazy. The team should have them cost controlled for a few more years to give them a chance to retain these guys.
  • Max contract length to 4 years + an optional 5th if re-signing
  • Put an age/service time salary maximum on RFA's (a smaller % of the cap than the UFA maximum)
It will be a tough sell, but I think it would be a huge net positive for the league.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Different contract length for RFA's vs UFA's won't work. It makes no sense. UFA's should have more rights than RFA's, not less.

The PA would definitely put up a fight for lower contract length. They fought against capping it at 7/8 in the last CBA. It means less guaranteed money for the players, so ofcourse they won't want it.

The difference between 4x13 and 11x8 contracts is about $30 mill in total dollars. That's pretty significant for a small market.

Dave Poulin was on 1200 this morning talking about how crazy RFA contracts are getting, and this summer will be huge due to the high number of quality RFA's available this summer. I would bet that if the norm becomes for RFA's to seek long term deals at big cap hits the NHL will look to control RFA salaries in the next CBA.

RFA contracts shouldn't be so potentially crippling to teams. The fact some of these guys play 2-3 years and then are commanding UFA type salaries is crazy. The team should have them cost controlled for a few more years to give them a chance to retain these guys.
  • Max contract length to 4 years + an optional 5th if re-signing
  • Put an age/service time salary maximum on RFA's (a smaller % of the cap than the UFA maximum)
It will be a tough sell, but I think it would be a huge net positive for the league.
I think the league will have an easier time selling the RFA reduction vs the UFA reduction. Maybe they could have an exceptional player status on 1 RFA that allows the league set boundaries to be surpassed. The team has to decide. Still be a weird case for Marner but Nylander would not have sat out.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

True, but even with all of Ceci's faults teams can exploit the Leafs cap inflexibility and should get an add on with Zaitsev. Dorion would (and rightfully so) be asking for a higher price which teams like the Oilers and Canucks aren't too keen on which limited expendable assets.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

I don't know why this guy does this to himself. He has to know that the Sens are signing Ceci long-term, and yet he still talks as though the player is being shopped.

Genuinely worried about his mental health when the news of Ceci's 5 year/27M extension breaks.

Reactions: aragorn

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
I've always been a proponent off a system designed to make it easier to retain you're own draft picks. Something like you get a 15% discount off the cap hit of a player you drafted and developed. This rewards times for strong drafting and development as opposed to penalizing a team for developing too many good young players at once.

Reactions: albator71

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Radko Gudas traded for Matt Niskanen.

Kind of a weird trade.
The Flyers retained 30 per cent of Gudas' $3.35 million cap hit on his contract - which runs through next season - in the deal.
Niskanen is signed for two more seasons at a $5.75 million cap hit, meaning the Capitals save $3.41 million on next year's cap in the swap

Caps save money and get a physical d man

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There was no chance anyways, Duchene has been dreaming of UFA for years
No chance? I dunno i bet they offer him the best deal. They are stacked with young elite talent and have an amazing GM. I really dont see a better opportunity anywhere else, plus he gets to be the man. He seems to want to be the go to guy.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Caps also get a much, much worse dman in return though.

Obviously this is a cap/money move but I'd be pissed if I was a Caps fan.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The Flyers retained 30 per cent of Gudas' $3.35 million cap hit on his contract - which runs through next season - in the deal.
Niskanen is signed for two more seasons at a $5.75 million cap hit, meaning the Capitals save $3.41 million on next year's cap in the swap

Caps save money and get a physical d man

Niskanen is no p***ywillow himself

He did have a really bad year though and Gudas will make them nastier to play against. I actually like the move
for the caps, so long as they put the extra cap to good use

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Niskanen is no p***ywillow himself

He did have a really bad year though and Gudas will make them nastier to play against. I actually like the move
for the caps, so long as they put the extra cap to good use

I like Niskanen. Why couldn't we trade Boro for him?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I like Niskanen. Why couldn't we trade Boro for him?

I like Niskanen too but I like Gudas as well. If Niskanen plays like he did last year for the rest of his contract... it doesn’t look good. Gudas at 2mil is solid, he’s a good #5 D, maybe even a #4 with the right partner . Boro... not so much

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
I don't understand. Almost all of us despise Boro.
I hope so, maybe I just read the wrong posts and follow the wrong people on twitter. When he fired shots at Karlsson to the tune of playing the game the right way there where tons of people right behind him. That's what I don't get...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I hope so, maybe I just read the wrong posts and follow the wrong people on twitter. When he fired shots at Karlsson to the tune of playing the game the right way there where tons of people right behind him. That's what I don't get...

Twitter? :laugh:

No offense but Twitter has even more fools than HF. The average blue collar guy who thinks Karlsson doesn't look like he's trying hard enough is far more likely to end up on Twitter/Facebook than here.

Burn Twitter. Nothing of value will ve lost.

Reactions: RaMai

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
would have taken a flyer on connor ingram for a 7th two years from now...not much space for him here tho

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
would have taken a flyer on connor ingram for a 7th two years from now...not much space for him here tho

Value would have been there, but where the heck would he play?

Tampa also probably would have sent him out of conference over a team within the division at that price.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's interesting that a team like Washington who are already a good sized team & tough would think they needed to add more toughness when most on this board want to go exactly the opposite way.

Reactions: Clayonator

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ott: Detroit #6 overall
Det: Brannstrom

Ottawa: Will Nylander
Tor: #32 overall, Abramov
(After Tor pays the huge signing bonus)

Reactions: Riceroni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad