Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | The Answer in Goal is NOT in the Room, Get Us a Damn Goalie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Father time and injuries have caught up to Smith in a big way this season. Koskinen has shown once again that he can't handle the workload of a NHL starter and Holland isn't interested in seeing if Skinner can take the ball and run with it.

If this team wants to go anywhere this season they need an upgrade in net, this should be obvious to anyone with a working pair of eyes and/or ears.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We are so f***ed and we are going to overpay on a massive level for a goalie. Does any team in the league have a more glaring hole to fill than the Oilers? I can’t think of one. Sure other teams would “like” to add some scoring depth or a this kind of defenceman here and there but it’s like we go into every game with five skaters. It’s brutal.
If you consider Husso could be the answer, it would be an overpay, but you could add him without as much concern for the cap (right now) which is significant.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Honestly, if I'm the Oilers I waive BOTH Koskinen and Smith to see if either get grabbed (not likely at all) and then you Recall Skinner and figure out the goaltending after that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you consider Husso could be the answer, it would be an overpay, but you could add him without as much concern for the cap (right now) which is significant.

Pretty sure the ask is a 1st round pick. He is their starter, although Binnington did have a good game last time out.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Even a team like the Senators can look at their veteran, cup winning goaltender in Matt Murray and send him down to work on his game in the AHL. Meanwhile, we’re so adamant on “doing right by our veterans” that we intentionally sabotage our own games by playing the worst possible option in net.

Pierre Dorion is a better GM than Ken Holland. Take that in.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Father time and injuries have caught up to Smith in a big way this season. Koskinen has shown once again that he can't handle the workload of a NHL starter and Holland isn't interested in seeing if Skinner can take the ball and run with it.

If this team wants to go anywhere this season they need an upgrade in net, this should be obvious to anyone with a working pair of eyes and/or ears.
Shades of 06 before Roloson. Clinging to a playoff spot with a solid roster because we have the worst goaltending in the league. Suddenly a Markkanen, Conklin, Morrison trifecta doesn't look so bad...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Evena team like the Senators can look at their veteran, cup winning goaltender in Matt Murray and send him down to work on his game in the AHL, while we’re so adamant on “doing right by our veterans” that we intentionally sabotage our own games by playing the worst possible option in net.

Pierre Dorion is a better GM than Ken Holland. Take that in.

Every GM in Canada, even fired ones like Benning are better than any GM the Oilers have had the last 15 years.

Time to stop lying to ourselves like we're in some better boat than anyone management wise, this team is so stupidly managed it's mind boggling.

A GM like Dubas, flaws and all, would be by a country mile the best GM the Oilers have had since 2006.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just dont understand why St. Louis trades Husso when theyre clearly heading to the playoffs and Binnington hasnt been good. We keep trying to target players on teams that have no reason to trade said players.

Yup, we are likely limited to trying to add a goalie from a non playoff or bubble team.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I hope Rishaug is going the Stauffer route with a cryptic tweet something is happening today.

If Skinner is called up, I hope Smith is put on waivers.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Shades of 06 before Roloson. Clinging to a playoff spot with a solid roster because we have the worst goaltending in the league. Suddenly a Markkanen, Conklin, Morrison trifecta doesn't look so bad...

At least Skinner has some potential. That said Jussi did an admirable job for us after Rollie went down.

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Yup, we are likely limited to trying to add a goalie from a non playoff or bubble team.
I made a comment about tunnel vision on MAF and Varlamov, and I"d love to add either if we could but it just doesnt seem likely. Same with Husso. Sure Im all for it but like you say our options are likely guys who fall into the "same as what we have" category. At this point whats the harm in trying more of the same?

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Honestly, if I'm the Oilers I waive BOTH Koskinen and Smith to see if either get grabbed (not likely at all) and then you Recall Skinner and figure out the goaltending after that.
Are we even allowed to waive Koskinen? I thought no trade blah blah blah.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sure but he isnt the reason theyre where they are this year. Imagine us trading Smith last year just before the deadline.

Why?
So that's not he same situation, you understand that right.

That's like trading Smith last deadline and being upset about it, because he's outplayed locked in Starter Talbot who's still here and signed long term.

Husso is a UFA at the end of the year, and Jordan Binnington, for his struggles, is the guy who won them their Stanley Cup and who they are significantly invested in Financially.

It's just not the same situation.

mrjnick

Feb 12, 2022
The entire league knows the Oilers need goaltending.. That and the fact that Holland will most definitely get fleeced for a very minor upgrade makes me lean towards just calling up Skinner. If we ride Koskinen and Smith to the TDL, we're missing the playoffs.

Calling up Skinner allows you to see what you've got in Skinner going into next season. If he puts up average numbers you have a backup and need a 1A to allow him to get some reps in next season. If he's above average you've got a starter and can have 40 year old Smith back him up.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: La Bamba

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Smith and a sweetener for Husso. Going to have to trade the goalie who has been the weaker of the two and who doesn't have trade protection.

Don't think any team wants Smith over Koskinen in a trade. Koskinen expires this year, that's more attractive than having Smith for an extra year, although he'll probably get LTIR-ed.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So that's not he same situation, you understand that right.

That's like trading Smith last deadline and being upset about it, because he's outplayed locked in Starter Talbot who's still here and signed long term.

Husso is a UFA at the end of the year, and Jordan Binnington, for his struggles, is the guy who won them their Stanley Cup and who they are significantly invested in Financially.

It's just not the same situation.
It is though. Because the contract status doesnt really matter right now. Husso is a huge part of why theyre in it this year. Moving him to do Binnington a solid when he's been trash this year is basically throwing in the towel when theyre 2nd in the division.

I just dont see why a team would do that. Hes a cheap rental for their push this year at worst.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It is though. Because the contract status doesnt really matter right now. Husso is a huge part of why theyre in it this year. Moving him to do Binnington a solid when he's been trash this year is basically throwing in the towel when theyre 2nd in the division.

I just dont see why a team would do that. Hes a cheap rental for their push this year at worst.
Ok then we'll have to agree to disagree on this. They view Binnington in a different light that we view Koskinen, and there's no way around that.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Okay, this might be a little left field and probably the biggest risk/high reward but may be able to get him for a song

Zachary Fucale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad