Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
They have Rask. If Thomas was still around they would've had that side show to deal with, plus they wouldn't have 5mil to go out and add at TDD.

Him being old isn't a concern to me either. He'd be coming in on a one year deal, if he's no good it only costs us money. And how much is it really going to cost? Goalies don't exactly hit it big on August 6th.

Dubnyk > Thomas the season after taking a year off

That's not even considering age, and I don't care about cost. I'm looking at a goalie who has been putting in his work the last year and a bit versus one that sat out the season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dubnyk > Thomas the season after taking a year off

That's not even considering age, and I don't care about cost. I'm looking at a goalie who has been putting in his work the last year and a bit versus one that sat out the season.

Thomas> than the rest of the crap we have.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The biggest reason we should stay away from Thomas is because he's 38 or 39 and he took a full year off.

it was a shortened season and most other goalies took it off as well..
It is too late for Thomas to EDM talk with the signings of Labarbara and Bachman but Thomas is 2 years removed from winning the Vezna and is younger than Khabi.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
it was a shortened season and most other goalies took it off as well..
It is too late for Thomas to EDM talk with the signings of Labarbara and Bachman but Thomas is 2 years removed from winning the Vezna and is younger than Khabi.

I don't really buy this. Both Labarbara and Bachman are one year deals, neither is in the plan long-term. Don't see an issue with talking to someone who might've not been an option a month ago, especially if he can make your team better.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Thomas> than the rest of the crap we have.

Nope.

Numbers aside, you really want to take a chance at a 39 year old headcase of a goalie who is coming off of a year off? This is professional sports. Taking a year off is rarely ever a good thing, especially when it's on your own accord.

Tim Thomas will disappoint, and I don't want him being that disappointment in Oiler blue and orange.

And Dubnyk is better. And besides, say we do go for Thomas and jettison Dubnyk, who is our goalie next season when Thomas buggers off again?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nope.

Numbers aside, you really want to take a chance at a 39 year old headcase of a goalie who is coming off of a year off? This is professional sports. Taking a year off is rarely ever a good thing, especially when it's on your own accord.

Tim Thomas will disappoint, and I don't want him being that disappointment in Oiler blue and orange.

And Dubnyk is better. And besides, say we do go for Thomas and jettison Dubnyk, who is our goalie next season when Thomas buggers off again?

Dubnyk-Thomas tandem. Never said anything about moving Dubnyk.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Dubnyk-Thomas tandem. Never said anything about moving Dubnyk.

I say offer him a tryout, if he proves he can still play we sign him. Didnt he state he wanted to take a year to train for the Olympics? Gonna be hard to get a call for the American Olympic roster if he's not playing somewhere this year.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't really buy this. Both Labarbara and Bachman are one year deals, neither is in the plan long-term. Don't see an issue with talking to someone who might've not been an option a month ago, especially if he can make your team better.

Thomas would be on a 1 yr term as well and wont be part of the long term solution. MacT would not have signed these 2 UFAs if he was considering Thomas. Like I said.. No way we get him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So your Vezina winning, Stanley Cup carrying goalie allows himself to get tangled up in a highly political fall-out with his team over his views... and then sits out a year to sulk about it....

And you would have zero issues with it?!?

I'm a goalie who is no where near that eccentric/spoiled, but I've had my teammates be upset with a lot less.

Word on the street here in Boston was that it absolutely became a side show... and that this year was "healing" for the team because they all played their guts out for Tuuka (who was considered more of a team player).

Anyway, all of this is speculative... but I've never played on any team that would tolerate that much "individualism" if it became a detriment to the team (and it clearly did, since he quit).

I agree with the others... he's also old. And that's a concern.

All of that said, I'd still have him in for an interview to see if he's mellowed enough to focus on his job again (stopping pucks).

Agree 100%. Excellent post

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thomas would be on a 1 yr term as well and wont be part of the long term solution. MacT would not have signed these 2 UFAs if he was considering Thomas. Like I said.. No way we get him.

There is a good chance MacT thought Thomas would never come here a month ago.

Thomas on a one year is better than just about every move MacT made this summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not interested in Thomas. Too old.

Miller I would take a chance on if the Sabres are willing to take back Hemsky.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Not interested in Thomas. Too old.

Miller I would take a chance on if the Sabres are willing to take back Hemsky.

I don't think Miller is enough of an upgrade to be worth picking up. And since there is little chance he'd be re-signing here, I'd prefer we hold on to Hemsky until we can get some kind of pick/prospect/player who can contribute for more than next year. Hemsky for Miller also leave us with less than 100K in cap space this year, and if the kids hit some of their bonuses we could be in a really bad position next summer.

Agree on Thomas though. Old, quit on his team, and hasn't played in a year = no thanks.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I'm starting to get the sense that a dynasty crippling trade will have to be made before we get our cup.

This makes no sense at all. To have a dynasty you must have won at least one, preferably many cups and advanced far into the playoffs on multiple other occasions.

So your hypothetical dynasty would never have materialized without making a trade to win the first cup since the first would need to be realized before further cups and deep runs followed.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
If Thomas and Dubnyk are both playing well, would Thomas be ok being the backup? A problem could arise from something like that. And if we do bring in another goalie (I still prefer Bryzgalov) what would happen to Labarbera? Play for OKC?

Comic Book Guy*

On the main boards, it's starting to sound like Sabres fans are starting to trade Tyler Myers for a Tim Horton's double-double and some moldy cheese.

Why don't we step up, trade two of our star defenseman, a forward prospect and a 2nd round pick to Buffalo for the near-7 foot behemoth?

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I don't think Miller is enough of an upgrade to be worth picking up. And since there is little chance he'd be re-signing here, I'd prefer we hold on to Hemsky until we can get some kind of pick/prospect/player who can contribute for more than next year. Hemsky for Miller also leave us with less than 100K in cap space this year, and if the kids hit some of their bonuses we could be in a really bad position next summer.

Agree on Thomas though. Old, quit on his team, and hasn't played in a year = no thanks.

I'm not sure Miller is the same player of a couple of years ago but I was a big fan of the goalie from back then. I don't know the story about the off-ice stuff, but if the price were Hemsky and B prospect or pick I'd jump on that. Do something else to even out the salaries, like BUF retaining some of Miller's salary.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
On the main boards, it's starting to sound like Sabres fans are starting to trade Tyler Myers for a Tim Horton's double-double and some moldy cheese.

Why don't we step up, trade two of our star defenseman, a forward prospect and a 2nd round pick to Buffalo for the near-7 foot behemoth?

Because Corey Potter looks like more of an NHLer nowadays.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
You see Myers a lot more than I do. What's happened to him?

it sounds like he's a dman version of steve mason. I don't watch him enough to be able to say myself. he was on pace for a roughly 18 point season over 82 games last year though, pretty huge regression from his 48 point rookie year. he is still young but that contract would cripple our team if he is anything less than a top pairing dman. the oilers will have to balance several big contracts and can't risk having another horcoff type situation long term (thank goodness we missed out on Clarkson).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You see Myers a lot more than I do. What's happened to him?

Too much expected too soon. Although in fairness to him that team has been a gong show since the new owner took over. Expectations were set very high as was the payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad