Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Current Rumor: Cam Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You think that they'd give up the 21st for Talbot?

I'm personally neutral on Talbot really... I'd actually like a more proven starter... but if it's true that there's several teams smelling around and in the hunt for Talbot... it's likely some team will offer a late 1st (or equivalent) for him.

Edit... Sabres "ace in the hole" is that 31st pick... they could keep their 21st and still beat the Oilers offer as that 31st is essentially a late 1st rounder in this draft... unless Sather REALLY likes one of those 2 Oilers prospects but I would think Buffalo would have a comparable prospect to throw at the Rags as well.

Last edited:

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I'm personally neutral on Talbot really... I'd actually like a more proven starter... but if it's true that there's several teams smelling around and in the hunt for Talbot... it's likely some team will offer a late 1st (or equivalent) for him.

Edit... Sabres "ace in the hole" is that 31st pick... they could keep their 21st and still beat the Oilers offer as that 31st is essentially a late 1st rounder in this draft... unless Sather REALLY likes one of those 2 Oilers prospects but I would think Buffalo would have a comparable prospect to throw at the Rags as well.

The oiler's ace in the hole is the rangers would likely rather trade him outside their conference.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm thinking we're probably going to have to pony up the high 2nd in the Talbot trade.

Logic would suggest they're high on Jeremy Bracco and it's extremely unlikely he's available at the 57th or 60th picks. If we can shake another pick out of them (or a conditional) to even it out, it wouldn't be so bad.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Some of you are worried about giving up Khaira? I don't get it.

He's a longshot to make the NHL at all as a regular and a 4th liner at best. He could hardly score in junior even.
I'd be more reluctant to give up Musil if anything but if the Rangers want 33rd plus one of those guys, you do that deal and not think twice.

As long as it's not the 16th or 33rd plus Marincin, I'd be fine with any Talbot deal.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm thinking we're probably going to have to pony up the high 2nd in the Talbot trade.

Logic would suggest they're high on Jeremy Bracco and it's extremely unlikely he's available at the 57th or 60th picks. If we can shake another pick out of them (or a conditional) to even it out, it wouldn't be so bad.

I think it's a given that the 33rd is part of the package... if it was only the 57th + a prospect I think a deal would be done.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
So Musil or Khaira is the dealbreaker for you to get probably the best goalie option on the trade market? Why?

Talbot is a backup goalie. Never been a starter. He's played behind one of the best defenses in the league. He will be a UFA after next season so it's possible you pay all this for just one year of his services. On principle, you just shouldn't have to pay more than a 2nd for him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Talbot is a backup goalie. Never been a starter. He's played behind one of the best defenses in the league. He will be a UFA after next season so it's possible you pay all this for just one year of his services. On principle, you just shouldn't have to pay more than that for him.

While that's true, there is a bidding war for his services apparently so a bit of an overpay is inevitable. Are you going to pass the opportunity for a potential #1 goalie because of the reluctance to give up a mediocre prospect? Remember when Tambo lost out on Bishop because he didn't want to give up more than a 2nd+Ryan Jones?
If it doesn't work out, it's not like the Oilers put forth a big risk by giving up prime assets.

Also, he's pretty good. I see a lot of the Rangers where I live, have seen him in person twice, and I'm telling you that this supposed great defense that he plays behind wasn't great at all last season (just ask Rangers fans). He and Lundqvist faced tons of quality chances so he's not a product of some tight defensive system IMO. I think it's well worth it to give up a 2nd rounder+mid level prospect.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Whoa, double hyperbole.

You'd give up a potential top six forward with size for a potential career backup?

What? The numbers indicate that Talbot has performed like an above average starting goalie, even if the sample size is small. At no point in his career has Khaira demonstrated he could put up top 6 forward offence at a professional level. I would be very happy if he panned out as an NHLer in any capacity, with 4th liner being his realistic ceiling.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Ill take Yak2 over Khaira all day long. No chance Khaira ever makes top 6, in fact I bet he would never make the Oilers roster with there current centre depth

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Talbot is a backup goalie. Never been a starter. He's played behind one of the best defenses in the league. He will be a UFA after next season so it's possible you pay all this for just one year of his services. On principle, you just shouldn't have to pay more than a 2nd for him.

The thing is he played on the same team as King Henrik and actually put up better stats. Of course Talbot only played ~30 games each year and probably wouldn't perform as well with the 60 game workload Lundquist regularly faces. He's shown that he can play at the level of a high end starter goalie for a period of time. Whether he can do so on a consistent basis is the question.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What? The numbers indicate that Talbot has performed like an above average starting goalie, even if the sample size is small. At no point in his career has Khaira demonstrated he could put up top 6 forward offence at a professional level. I would be very happy if he panned out as an NHLer in any capacity, with 4th liner being his realistic ceiling.

Yeah, I didn't get that post. Talbot has a much MUCH better chance to be a starting goalie than Khaira has to be an NHL top 6 forward. Don't get the Khaira fascination at all. Yakimov is the much better prospect IMO, the Oilers have enough depth to overcome Khaira's loss. Lets not get picky trying to acquire a potential #1 goalie.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Khaira had the same points per game average that David Musil did in his first AHL season, so yeah, I wouldn't count on him being an NHL player. He also couldn't manage a point per game in his draft + 2 season in the WHL, so I wouldn't hesitate to move either him or Musil for Talbot.

You have to provide some offence to make it to the NHL and Khaira hasn't shown any indication of that.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

No offense, but if you live your life on principle, you're going to get **** on more often than not.

Just because you think his value is a 2nd, doesn't mean that is what he will be traded for. It's the damn Pouliot signing argument again. Should he have been signed for what he was? Probably not. But because many teams were competing, he got paid. Because there are potentially 6 teams out there (three trying hard for him?) wanting to trade for Talbot, the price is likely higher due to demand. It's 90% economics and 10% deciding which team he wants to potentially make better (ie, might get a better deal to take him out of conference). It especially doesn't make sense to stand on principle if the perceived deal breaker is a player like Khaira.

*Not saying Pouliot isn't pulling his weight; I liked him a lot this year. Just using that argument as a comparison.

ivanthebad*

Lebrun reports that the Blues are willing to part with several pieces to get better. Any scenarios?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
So if a team offers a 4th for Khaira you think Oilers would consider it?

Khaira is a 3rd pick who is projecting well and probably would be battling Yakimov for top6 role in OKC.

I put his value as a late 2nd early 3rd... Musil however i would gladly trade for a 4th rounder.. He hasnt improved much and has no chance of becoming an Oiler. Overtaken by Davidson and Simpson IMO.

Did I say they would trade him for a 4th? No I didn't. Just that is realistically what his value is, He hasn't shown the offensive ability to play in an AHL top 6 but I give you that he is trending slowly upwards. His value is absolutely not a 2nd rounder in any circumstance and people are kidding themselves if they think it is. Maybe a 3rd.

His offensive game has a long way to go before he can even be considered a chance to make the NHL.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Some of you are worried about giving up Khaira? I don't get it.

He's a longshot to make the NHL at all as a regular and a 4th liner at best. He could hardly score in junior even.
I'd be more reluctant to give up Musil if anything but if the Rangers want 33rd plus one of those guys, you do that deal and not think twice.

As long as it's not the 16th or 33rd plus Marincin, I'd be fine with any Talbot deal.

Kharia is everything we have been weak in the last 5+ years.

Center or Winger if needs be.
Big
Strong
Mean
Defensively responsible

Guy has some decent hands too. Never going to be a top 6 as someone else pointed out but not exactly sure how that makes him expendable.

Teams with stellar depth that can play both ends of the ice win cups. Teams with only great top 6's don't make the playoffs.

I like Yakimov a ton as well. Better hands and is bigger but does not have that mean streak that IMO the Oilers desperately need more of.

Musil is a dime a dozen in our organization. Only slightly worse a prospect but in a position we are extremely strong in.

I would much rather move Kharia than say Marincin but I think most people who have followed Kharia even a bit want this guy in our organization if possible.

The 33rd and Kharia would be very tough to take for an over age goalie with little NHL experience and only one year before UFA. I would hate it but accept it. My expectations for Talbot better be met or exceeded for that price.

The 16th and Kharia would be very very very bad. But if the scouts really love Talbots game and he does end up being a great starter that signs long term even that would be worth it.

I think after Scrivens and Fasthe everyone is leery of over paying for a goalie. Really isn't a whole lot separating those three IMO. Giving up Kharia and a great pick in a great draft and having Talbot bust or walk after one year is enough to make me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Big
Strong
Mean
Defensively responsible

Guy has some decent hands too. Never going to be a top 6 as someone else pointed out but not exactly sure how that makes him expendable.

Teams with stellar depth that can play both ends of the ice win cups. Teams with only great top 6's don't make the playoffs.

I like Yakimov a ton as well. Better hands and is bigger but does not have that mean streak that IMO the Oilers desperately need more of.

Musil is a dime a dozen in our organization. Only slightly worse a prospect but in a position we are extremely strong in.

I would much rather move Kharia than say Marincin but I think most people who have followed Kharia even a bit want this guy in our organization if possible.

The 33rd and Kharia would be very tough to take for an over age goalie with little NHL experience and only one year before UFA. I would hate it but accept it. My expectations for Talbot better be met or exceeded for that price.

The 16th and Kharia would be very very very bad. But if the scouts really love Talbots game and he does end up being a great starter that signs long term even that would be worth it.

I think after Scrivens and Fasthe everyone is leery of over paying for a goalie. Really isn't a whole lot separating those three IMO. Giving up Kharia and a great pick in a great draft and having Talbot bust or walk after one year is enough to make me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Below average skater, below average scorer. Chances aren't good that he ever becomes an NHL regular. I like the intangibles but he has some serious obstacles to overcome if he even wants to be an everyday 4th liner.

We're talking about a potential #1 goalie here. Sure it's a risk, but the Oilers should be at the stage now where they need to take some risk. Stop playing it safe like Tambo did. Remember the Bishop fiasco? Yep

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Where the rangers defense rank in the leagdoesleaguee guy said one of the best but I've always thought more of middle of the pack?

They have excellent to good puck movers and one or two good shut down guys?

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray

Big
Strong
Mean
Defensively responsible

You forgot non existent offense. Musil as a defensive d-man has as much offense as khaira. You can sign guys like khaira to league minimum contracts every year. I'm not arguing Musil is better I'm just saying khaira is probably one of our most expendable prospects as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad