Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Bigfoot/Jagr Sighting in Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Literally no point.

Not only no point, but the opposite of what the Oilers seem to want to do with Yakimov. He has no contract, and we offered him a qualifying offer in the summer in order to maintain his rights. If the team didn't want him in the organization they wouldn't have bothered offering him a QO.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I've been on Nuge's case for years. Has nothing to do with anyone else on the team being here or not.

Just stating something as if its a fact doesn't make it true. There were probably a handful of reasons Eberle was traded. Because the fans wanted it almost certainly wasn't one of them. Chia has very clearly demonstrated that he's making moves because he thinks it will improve the team. Not because he's trying to appease fans. Just look at the Hall and Seguin deals.

The Hall deal I completely accepted because it addressed a dire need for the Oilers. The Eberle deal does not.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Hall deal I completely accepted because it addressed a dire need for the Oilers. The Eberle deal does not.

So the only explanation for a deal you don't accept is that Chia did it because of fan pressure?

Maybe it was just a bad deal. Or he values Russell much more than you do. Or he didn't like Eberle. Any of these things are much more likely than the fans made him do it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So the only explanation for a deal you don't accept is that Chia did it because of fan pressure?

Maybe it was just a bad deal. Or he values Russell much more than you do. Or he didn't like Eberle. Any of these things are much more likely than the fans made him do it.

None of those reasons are good ones.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think we should acquire Taylor Hall as our backup goalie

cut.jpg

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Not for four years no. You think he's still going to be that throughout his entire contract?

It's set up for us to trade him after 3 years, so he'd be 32 when we're done with him. I can't say I'm too worried about that. No. We've become too used to 20 year olds. Players don't magically turn to garbage at 30

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The alternative to not signing Russell may have been to roll with Nurse/Benning on the 2nd pairing and I assume Fayne/Gryba in the bottom pairing until Sekera gets back.

I don't think too many would have been thrilled with that setup... especially if another injury hit which is entirely possible.

Yes they could have signed a different dman than Russell... but again we don't know who else wanted to come to Edmonton and how much it would cost. I like Russell more than most and I think he's definitely a solid top 4 dman... but even if he's less than that in other's eyes, he's at worst a very experienced depth D who helps stabilize the backend amongst a lot of youth on that D group.

I'll give Chia the benefit of the doubt that he actually had some idea of what the market was going to be like... and he decided to re-sign Gryba/Russell.

I would have liked something better than Gryba as a #6 until Sekera is back although Chia did pick up Auvitu and Stanton so he has addressed some depth on D as well after the recent departures of Davidson/Reinhart/Oesterle made somewhat of a hole in those 7D/8D spots on the roster.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If Chia only cared about fan pressure when making deals, Hall would still be an Oiler. It took balls for him to pull off that trade.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Chia was in tough with Sekera out but I'm confident Russel will be traded and replaced before his NMC kicks in July 2019.

I wouldn't mind seeing Franson offered a 1 year 1M deal. Worst comes to worst we bury him but I could see him being useful if deployed properly.

Not sold on Strome as a C. While he did have his best career statistically as a C, I'd rather they have someone more proven at 3C and better in the dot. Would of been nice to see Chia bring in a suitable C, and maybe they try Jokinen there, he's always been good on the dot and he is a smart responsible player, but I don't think he has the wheels to play at C anymore. Storm, RNH, Drai need to all be in the top 6 with 97. Those 4 players are talented and should be capable of producing spread out over two lines.

Maroon - McD - Strome
Lucic - Drai - RNH
Slepy - Joki - Pulju
Caggiula - Testu - Kass

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
There must be 4-5 teams interested in Jagr even if he's saying there isn't much interest. I think he would fit in really well, hope the Oilers do their best to sign him.

Maroon - McDavid - RNH
Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev
Jokinen - Strome - Jagr
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian

Many lineup possibilities and can roll four very solid lines. Puljujarvi would still get playing time with inevitable injuries or player struggles.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Some of these answers will be truth, others speculation, but the deal certainly makes sense.

1) Cap savings

2) Strome offers more size and versatility.

3) 0 goals in playoffs

4) Perhaps still has losing culture in him and Todd thinks he needs a change of scenery?

5) Maybe Chia has a real good feeling on Strome like he did with Maroon and Larsson.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I will say that offensively we are being under-rated a bit.

McDavid, Draisaitl - I think they are due for the same # of points combined with Connor getting slightly more, and Drai getting slightly less in his new role.

RNH, Lucic, Strome, Jokinen - Veteran players (sort of with Strome) all due to perform better than they did last season. While they all won't, theres a good chance a couple will have much better seasons.

Puljujarvi, Slepyslev, Cagguila, Kassian - We know the skill that Pulju has, and the other 3 showed down the stretch that they have more to offer. Pulju and just one of these guys stepping up would be big for us.

Maroon, Letestu - The only 2 guys I can see regressing in points, but even then, I don't think it will be by too much.

So our dynamic duo is likely going to give us a chance to win every night. Then we have 7 players who are more likely to improve, v 2 players who are more likely to regress.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I will say that offensively we are being under-rated a bit.

McDavid, Draisaitl - I think they are due for the same # of points combined with Connor getting slightly more, and Drai getting slightly less in his new role.

RNH, Lucic, Strome, Jokinen - Veteran players (sort of with Strome) all due to perform better than they did last season. While they all won't, theres a good chance a couple will have much better seasons.

Puljujarvi, Slepyslev, Cagguila, Kassian - We know the skill that Pulju has, and the other 3 showed down the stretch that they have more to offer. Pulju and just one of these guys stepping up would be big for us.

Maroon, Letestu - The only 2 guys I can see regressing in points, but even then, I don't think it will be by too much.

So our dynamic duo is likely going to give us a chance to win every night. Then we have 7 players who are more likely to improve, v 2 players who are more likely to regress.

Lots of room for growth. The Oilers were one of the higher scoring teams in the league last season largely without much of a contribution from the 2nd and 3rd lines. They might have had one of the worst middle 2 lines in the league last season up until the last 20 games or so when the 2nd line finally woke up. Can only go up from here.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Some of these answers will be truth, others speculation, but the deal certainly makes sense.

1) Cap savings

2) Strome offers more size and versatility.

3) 0 goals in playoffs

4) Perhaps still has losing culture in him and Todd thinks he needs a change of scenery?

5) Maybe Chia has a real good feeling on Strome like he did with Maroon and Larsson.

One huge reason why the coach did not like eberle was that he scored a total of 7 goals last year vs playoff teams. 4 of those were vs calgary who had terrible goaltending during the period we played them.

Eberle is supposed to be a scorer and he failed miserably two years in a row.

One more year like that and we may have been forced to buy him out or take an equally bad contract ( think pouliot ) in return

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Hey folks,

Wondering if you guys have any interest in Markov,

He is by far the best UFA avail. and I am still really hoping the Habs sign him. I was trying to look at rosters/cap around the league and was wondering if the oilers could find a fit for him?

IMO he is a very solid 2B or 3A defender.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Lots of room for growth. The Oilers were one of the higher scoring teams in the league last season largely without much of a contribution from the 2nd and 3rd lines. They might have had one of the worst middle 2 lines in the league last season up until the last 20 games or so when the 2nd line finally woke up. Can only go up from here.

Sorry to burst this bubble, but our second line performed quite well last season. Eberle's points put him in top30 RW status for points, Lucic was [actually in the top 25] LW's and Nuge was bottom level 2C/very high 3C (63 OV for centers). All combined, it was actually a fairly good second line. I'm not arguing that it seemed like they got better in the last bit, so maybe they will continue on that trajectory (though the second line is going to be a bit different than last year, so it will be hard to track that type of thing).

We had one of the best, if not the best, first lines last year, and a very good second line (probably top half were I to guess without looking up the stats). Room to grow, but I just hate hearing people say our secondary scoring was lacking when it really wasn't.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hey folks,

Wondering if you guys have any interest in Markov,

He is by far the best UFA avail. and I am still really hoping the Habs sign him. I was trying to look at rosters/cap around the league and was wondering if the oilers could find a fit for him?

IMO he is a very solid 2B or 3A defender.

He is good but he wants term. If he wanted 1yr x 6M Oilers could have used him. Oilers just cant afford a big contract with Draisaitl and McDavid getting their raises.

Oilers already have Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse and Russell as LHS Dmen. 3 of them are signed long term and Nurse the 4th.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sorry to burst this bubble, but our second line performed quite well last season. Eberle's points put him in top30 RW status for points, Lucic was on the high end for a second line LW and Nuge was bottom level 2C/very high 3C (63 OV for centers). All combined, it was actually a fairly good second line. I'm not arguing that it seemed like they got better in the last bit, so maybe they will continue on that trajectory (though the second line is going to be a bit different than last year, so it will be hard to track that type of thing).

We had one of the best, if not the best, first lines last year, and a very good second line (probably top half were I to guess without looking up the stats). Room to grow, but I just hate hearing people say our secondary scoring was lacking when it really wasn't.

They were subpar most of the season, it was a chore to watch them on most nights.
Their stats were padded by a late season charge (good timing though) and the meaningless Vancouver game to end the season. I'm sure even RNH and Eberle themselves would admit that they had a down year. Sorry but I don't know how anybody who watched most Oiler games last season could think that the 2nd line was quite good.

The 3rd line was a disaster as well as they were experimenting with Cagguila at center and Pouliot who was a complete no show.

The team was carried by McDavid, Draisaitl, a much more solid defense and a top 5 goalie. The rest of the team was quite lacking outside of Letestu on the PP and Kassian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad