Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Bigfoot/Jagr Sighting in Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Markov will likely be too pricey... Franson or Streit would be substantially cheaper (although obviously not nearly as good).

If they did manage to squeeze Markov in though... wow... I think this D would move into elite territory as that adds a dimension they don't really have right now.

edit.. never mind on Streit as I see he was signed by the Habs today. Dirt cheap addition at 700k.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Markov will likely be too pricey... Franson or Streit would be substantially cheaper (although obviously not nearly as good).

Streit signed with the Habs, according to CapFriendly.

Markov is also substantially better then both Franson and Streit.

We need to stop talking about Franson, frankly, because there are guys who are UFAs that would be much better options as a depth defenseman.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Leon's last Jr season was draft+1 season. Strome's last season was his draft +2 season. Imagine Draisaitl going back after his last Jr season for another year..

Drai is not a comparable... Puljujarvi is.

You're severely under rating Dylan Strome. This is a kid who's probably going to put up 50+ points this season in Arizona as a rookie. He's a highly skilled center on an entry level contract with good size and pedigree. Nugent Hopkins doesn't get you anywhere near that value, let alone adding a guy like Duclair.

I think people should expect a very quick turnaround for that franchise,
honestly. The addition of Stepan and Hjalmarsson added some serious stability to that roster. And with guys like Strome and Keller stepping in they will not have problems putting points on the board.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Streit signed with the Habs, according to CapFriendly.

Markov is also substantially better then both Franson and Streit.

We need to stop talking about Franson, frankly, because there are guys who are UFAs that would be much better options as a depth defenseman.

No doubt Markov is better than them... he's basically a top pairing dman still... and would be an impact player on this team.

If the pricetag of $6 million comes along with him though... x 2 years... can't really see how they fit that in.

If he comes cheaper ... then sure.

Also.. who else is left as a UFA that would be clearly better than Franson? If you can get Franson for similar money like Streit just signed (under $1 million).. that would be a solid depth addition. Anything that moves Gryba down a notch on the roster is a solid addition.

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Franson

Auvitu-Gryba

That's a pretty solid group... if your #7 is Auvitu I think you are doing ok.

Franson has some offense in his game and he's clearly a solid #5/#6 dman which this team can still use.. especially for super cheap which he likely would be at this point.

Once Sekera comes back that D looks even better. I'm also keeping in mind injuries because you know the Oilers aren't going to be as lucky as they were last year... if another of their top 4 dmen go down early, they could certainly use extra depth to fill that void.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No doubt Markov is better than them... he's basically a top pairing dman still... and would be an impact player on this team.

If the pricetag of $6 million comes along with him though... x 2 years... can't really see how they fit that in.

If he comes cheaper ... then sure.

Also.. who else is left as a UFA that would be clearly better than Franson? If you can get Franson for similar money like Streit just signed (under $1 million).. that would be a solid depth addition. Anything that moves Gryba down a notch on the roster is a solid addition.

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Franson

Auvitu-Gryba

That's a pretty solid group... if your #7 is Auvitu I think you are doing ok.

Franson has some offense in his game and he's clearly a solid #5/#6 dman which this team can still use.. especially for super cheap which he likely would be at this point.

Once Sekera comes back that D looks even better. I'm also keeping in mind injuries because you know the Oilers aren't going to be as lucky as they were last year... if another of their top 4 dmen go down early, they could certainly use extra depth to fill that void.

I would rather "overpay" Markov then pay Franson.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Ok... well we basically agree... I'd rather have Markov as well.

Pay him whatever is left after Drai takes his (large) piece of the pie... and after allowing for the bonus cushion they need this year.

Whatever is left throw at Markov. What would that be though? Maybe $3 million?

There might be more available cap because Sekera is on LTIR for a few months... so maybe they can afford to throw $6 million at him after all. Not sure what happens once Sekera comes back from injury though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ok... well we basically agree... I'd rather have Markov as well.

Pay him whatever is left after Drai takes his (large) piece of the pie... and after allowing for the bonus cushion they need this year.

Whatever is left throw at Markov. What would that be though? Maybe $3 million?

There might be more available cap because Sekera is on LTIR for a few months... so maybe they can afford to throw $6 million at him after all. Not sure what happens once Sekera comes back from injury though.

We don't because you think Franson can contribute, and I don't believe he can, honestly.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Why exactly?

Franson is a guy who statistically pushes the puck in the right direction on a team that routinely got it's head kicked in last year. He's also a player who in recent history has provided point production, physicality and size for the teams that have employed him. This is also a guy who is still relatively young and has a knack for staying healthy.

If he's the Kris Russell of this summer, I'd be all over that on a one year deal. We're looking for a bottom pairing defenseman FFS.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
We don't because you think Franson can contribute, and I don't believe he can, honestly.

Ok... well yes I know Markov is >>>>Franson but Franson is a solid #5/6 dman and is better than Gryba.

He makes the team better by moving Gryba down a notch.

Top 4:

Larsson
Klefbom
Russell
Benning

...then it's a drop down to Nurse who is still a work in progress... and Gryba who is really nothing more than a decent #7.

Franson would be a solid RD partner for Nurse on the bottom pairing. Lower minutes and some PP time is exactly what Franson should be used for and that's what he'd get.

Auvitu is a wild card... my guess is he's going to really surprise with his upside... BUT he's still a gamble and I'd rather have another RD with some offense as well (for under $1 million you can basically bury that player for free anyway). Franson would be a good addition to the D depth. We disagree if you don't think he's even that.

Stanton is another bit of a wild card... I think he's a reasonably good injury callup as well... so that's yet another player they have that I think is better than Gryba for that #6/#7 spot.

Chia may actually be fine standing pat with the D as it is right now as they have added Auvitu/Stanton and that pair of dmen is better depth than they actually had last season imo.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why exactly?

Franson is a guy who statistically pushes the puck in the right direction on a team that routinely got it's head kicked in last year. He's also a player who in recent history has provided point production, physicality and size for the teams that have employed him. This is also a guy who is still relatively young and has a knack for staying healthy.

If he's the Kris Russell of this summer, I'd be all over that on a one year deal. We're looking for a bottom pairing defenseman FFS.
Physicality? Size? Your talking about Cody Franson? The offensive defensemen who can only get 20 points, and doesn't hit or use his size.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
if the guy is only going to push Gryba down you're wasting a roster spot

You're adding a legitimate NHL defenseman to the right side, which isn't exactly our strongest position. Gryba isn't exactly the safest guy to have as a regular on your roster in the instance of a serious injury. There's also that distinct possibility of a sophomore slump to Matt Benning that you should prepared for.

For a one year term Franson is probably the guy still out there who is most suitable for our current organizational needs. Markov is indeed a better player but he has made it known that he's looking for a two year term, which isn't possible looking at our current salary structure.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Physicality? Size? Your talking about Cody Franson? The offensive defensemen who can only get 20 points, and doesn't hit or use his size.

You're talking about a guy who was routinely a 30 point PPQB and was good for 200+ hits as a Leaf. The Sabres didn't need the offense from Franson because they had Risto. We don't have that on our team--his role changes.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You're talking about a guy who was routinely a 30 point PPQB and was good for 200+ hits as a Leaf. The Sabres didn't need the offense from Franson because they had Risto. We don't have that on our team--his role changes.

Yeah, but that's like saying Corey Potter could be a 2nd PP guy because of his year with the Oilers.

Franson really isn't good.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Did a little digging around and I'd be interested in seeing Kassian in more
of a feature role.

Brief list of players with even or less even strength points than Kass last year (avoiding anyone that missed 15+ games):

Ryan O'Reilly
James Neal
Joe Thornton
Johnathan Drouin
Adam Henrique
Milan Lucic (!)
Gabriel Landeskog
Frans Nielsen
Tuevo Teravainen

Some frankly jaw dropping names only a point or two ahead of Kass -Bergeron, RNH, Koivu, Voracek, Aho, Dubinsky, Sam Reinhart.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Did a little digging around and I'd be interested in seeing Kassian in more
of a feature role.

Brief list of players with even or less even strength points than Kass last year (avoiding anyone that missed 15+ games):

Ryan O'Reilly
James Neal
Joe Thornton
Johnathan Drouin
Adam Henrique
Milan Lucic (!)
Gabriel Landeskog
Frans Nielsen
Tuevo Teravainen

Some frankly jaw dropping names only a point or two ahead of Kass -Bergeron, RNH, Koivu, Voracek, Aho, Dubinsky, Sam Reinhart.

some people just thrive in a certain role. Kassian is best as a bottom 6 player. If he produces in that role we should keep him there. He is not a 'scorer'.. Guys like Caggiula and Puljujarvi didnt produce like Kass but are more suited in 'scorer' role.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, but that's like saying Corey Potter could be a 2nd PP guy because of his year with the Oilers.

Franson really isn't good.

It really isn't. Franson has been an effective NHL defenseman for several years, including last season. You get points from me if you can tell me where Corey Potter played last year without googling it.

Franson is guy you can likely get on a one year deal at an affordable price and can plug in in a variety of roles without him struggling too much. I would have a whole lot more confidence in Franson logging 20+ minutes in Sekera's absence than Auvitu, Gryba or Nurse.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
In what world can you defend Eberle and his contract remaining on the Oilers based on last seasons production, then go on to say that raises on productive players like Maroon aren't savings? I'll pay for players that positively contribute more then Eberle for his 6M ev
ery day of the week.

For example let's play the offensive production Vs Cap

Eberle 6M just over 50 points in 82 games. As I said before last game heroics against a done Vancouver team obviously helped but nonetheless

Strome 30 points in 69 games, let's pro rate and say he would have gotten 5 more in 13 more games, so 35 points in 82games

So that's an extra 15 points for and extra 3.5M? And that's a player that didn't ride shotgun with Mcdavid for a large chunk of the season. Also if we take away take away Eberle showing up for the final 5 games of the season and that's more like 3.5M for 10 points?

Eberle went what 22-23 straight games without a goal last season and you want defend paying 6M for that production? And to boot he's not defensively responsible or gritty in the slightest?

As I stated before Eberle could rebound with a change of scenery. But he's not elite offensive forward on this team anymore. Would much rather give that 3.5M to Jokinen/Drai this year, and guys like Maroon who outscore Eberle and add positive elements to the lineup after this year.

Maroon is savings right now. Do you think he will be in 2019? If he puts up another 25+ goals he's going to get paid like a 25 goal scorer, probably for 4-5 years.

Also pro rating means **** all. If we're talking prorating then Pitlick would've been one of, if not the top goal scorer on our team. That means bupkis.

Eberle's worst season is equal to that of Strome's best season which was a few years ago.

And stop with this "Taking away" garbage. You can't take away games just because it fits your narrative. Take away Drai's 5 point game in Game 6. Suddenly his numbers are just okay. See how that works? Or just take away the last few games of the season and McDavid doesn't hit 100 points. You can't take those games away. If you take games away from Eberle you have to take them from the entire team. It's funny how when Yakupov did that exact same thing in his rookie year everyone said you had to count those games. Now it suddenly doesn't? Hmmm...

Eberle for Strome was a **** deal and then giving Russell 16 million for 4 years was even more questionable. The savings evaporated quickly especially since we don't seem to be adding anymore players this off-season.

And yeah maybe Eberle isn't elite. Is Lucic? You're paying him the exact same money for 5 years more than Eberle. You still need goal scorers on the team, and our winger depth is frighteningly bad.

I hope Chiarelli adds a few more bodies to this team because as of right now it's really not improved at all.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
It really isn't. Franson has been an effective NHL defenseman for several years, including last season. You get points from me if you can tell me where Corey Potter played last year without googling it.

Franson is guy you can likely get on a one year deal at an affordable price and can plug in in a variety of roles without him struggling too much. I would have a whole lot more confidence in Franson logging 20+ minutes in Sekera's absence than Auvitu, Gryba or Nurse.

I'm not sure which team... but I'll bet he quarterbacked their "Potter" play.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Franson is underrated if anything.

Out of all the dmen that have played 1000+ minutes over the past 3 season (230 dmen).. Franson has .83 pts/60 at 5 on 5 which ranks 55th on that list.

There is a pretty short list of Oiler dmen who are higher on that list... Klefbom ranked 34th with .89 pts/60.

Franson has played on a **** team with **** teammates... and has managed to stay above water offensively and defensively relative to his teammates over the past 3 seasons.

I don't particularly like Corsi stats at all... but he has put up strong relative corsi numbers as well over that timespan.

His GF/GA relative to teammates is also positive AND he's done that while getting a relatively strong dzone push as well... 4% more dzone than ozone starts.

His PP stats are decent as well... over the past 3 seasons of all dmen with 100+ PP minutes he's 53rd out of 127 with 3.77 pts/60. Dmen with similar PP stats: McDonagh 3.79, Parayko 3.79, Chara 3.78, Muzzin 3.77, Pietrangelo 3.77, Boychuk 3.76, Stralman 3.74.

That's pretty decent company he's keeping. :)

Add to that... decent size, RHD and he'd likely be cheap as chips at this point in the summer... he'd be a solid addition and I think there's a bias if someone actually thinks he wouldn't be good for the bottom pairing.

He's not an elite dman... but he's certainly a very good bottom pairing dman and bottom pairing dmen are still going to see 15+ minutes a night so that's a useful asset to have down there. Gryba/Davidson/Benning/Nurse all played 15+ minutes per game last season.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Streit was actually a good pickup for the Habs... 4.70 pts/60 on the PP the past 3 years. If he doesn't fall off a cliff because of his age... that's a very solid contract at just $700,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad