Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Bigfoot/Jagr Sighting in Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thats my point. So why would not Letestu's one-timer be there this season? I suppose we'll see what Strome brings.

Why wouldnt it be? I dont see your point at all.
Teams have to key on McDavid and Drai...thats not going to suddenly change this season.
History suggests that Letestu is a solid PP option on the one timer...he did it all last season.

You keep suggesting that Strome will be a PP option....based on what?

Strome could be in time...I guess its possible. Based on what we know right now though there is little evidence to support the suggestion that he is even remotely close to a better option than Letestu especially considering that Letestu is also much better on the dot.

I get wanting to believe that Strome is going to magically start putting up offensive numbers but he has a longs ways to go to becoming a consistent effective offensive player.

He was a 4th liner last season on an average Islander team. He is now on a better than average team...his game needs to step up big time.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
There's no space for Jagr, I just don't see it. :(

Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev (Chia stated that he likes him a lot and he showed a lot in the playoffs)
Jokinen - RNH - Puljujarvi (Chia stated that he expects Pulju to make the team and having Jokinen with Pulju is valuable)
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian (Caggiula isn't going to the minors...)
Extras: Pakarinen, Khaira

Chia said that he wants to give the young guys an opportunity to play and signing Jags takes ice time away from Slepyshev, Pulju, and Caggiula.

Could see that happening, but Jagr would without a doubt be far more effective in that 2RW spot than Slep. Think Slep still needs to be developing in a bottom 6 role. He's still very raw and has big swings in the energy he has in his game from night to night.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Could see that happening, but Jagr would without a doubt be far more effective in that 2RW spot than Slep. Think Slep still needs to be developing in a bottom 6 role. He's still very raw and has big swings in the energy he has in his game from night to night.

Ok so he drops into the bottom 6, who currently in the bottom 6 gets pushed into the press box?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ok so he drops into the bottom 6, who currently in the bottom 6 gets pushed into the press box?

Pulju in the AHL? :)

Maybe a crazy idea though now that we signed Jokinen, which seems to telegraph the idea that management expects Pulju to be in the big show being mentored. That's mainly why I say I can see happening what you listed for the lineup.

On the topic, just saw Stauffer tweet about his projected lines:

Interesting as well. Been waiting some time to see Nuge on the wing.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Maybe a crazy idea though now that we signed Jokinen, which seems to telegraph the idea that management expects Pulju to be in the big show being mentored. That's mainly why I say I can see happening what you listed for the lineup.

weird/

it would be nice to see rnh on the wing.....but i figured it would have been tried already if the coaches likes him at wing.

is it true nuge was a winger for the whc?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Why wouldnt it be? I dont see your point at all.
Teams have to key on McDavid and Drai...thats not going to suddenly change this season.
History suggests that Letestu is a solid PP option on the one timer...he did it all last season.

You keep suggesting that Strome will be a PP option....based on what?

Strome could be in time...I guess its possible. Based on what we know right now though there is little evidence to support the suggestion that he is even remotely close to a better option than Letestu especially considering that Letestu is also much better on the dot.

I get wanting to believe that Strome is going to magically start putting up offensive numbers but he has a longs ways to go to becoming a consistent effective offensive player.

He was a 4th liner last season on an average Islander team. He is now on a better than average team...his game needs to step up big time.

My point is Letestu is not the key cog of the power play, though he has been very good at his role. I am not saying Strome is a lock for anything, but he has more skill than Letestu. I believe he will get a chance to showcase it at some point. Looks like tremendous shooter, who sits in the same spot as Letestu on the PP. Look at after 1 min. mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmuiMKLA42c

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I actually dont mind those lines.
Very curious to see how RNH does along side McDavid.

With the big money that Leon is going to get he has to drive a line so his days as a winger are likely limited. So I think that he is a shoe in to centre the 2nd line.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My point is Letestu is not the key cog of the power play, though he has been very good at his role. I am not saying Strome is a lock for anything, but he has more skill than Letestu. I believe he will get a chance to showcase it at some point.

Of course Letestu isnt the key cog on the PP. He benefits from the extra room provided by McDavid and Leon.
He is good on faceoffs and he has a very good one timer.

I am wait and see on Strome...especially in terms of having him replace an effective player like Letestu. Skill is nothing without smarts and desire.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Swap Caggiula and Jokinen and I like the look of those lines. Could we FINALLY see RNH slotted in as a sniper?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Swap Caggiula and Jokinen and I like the look of those lines. Could we FINALLY see RNH slotted in as a sniper?

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jokinen being used on any line. Such a smart versatile player and he still has plenty of skill...he was a great add.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Discussing lines in summer is sort of a gag activity, but...

The Stauffer lines are interesting. I like Nuge on the wing. He loses me with Jussi as the 4LW, though.

A big reason we wanted him was for his faceoff ability. Having him paired with Letestu doesn't make sense. He'd be great insulation for a C who isn't face-off adept: Strome, Connor, or Nuge.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

Absolutely love these lines. Might swap LW's on 3 and 4, but that's about it.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Absolutely love these lines. Might swap LW's on 3 and 4, but that's about it.

I hate a Strome Caggiula Puljujarvi line.
They would need the softest minutes in the league.

I know how often we see a second centre out for draws, but why sign Jokinen if the plan is fourth line?

I know he will opt in and out at will, but switch Caggiula and Jokinen to start. Let JJ take big draws.

I really like the idea of
Jokinen RNH Puljujarvi with Jokinen taking most draws.
Puljujarvi could be sent streaking 1on1 or alone quite a bit if they are paired with Adambomb

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
I hate a Strome Caggiula Puljujarvi line.
They would need the softest minutes in the league.

I know how often we see a second centre out for draws, but why sign Jokinen if the plan is fourth line?

I know he will opt in and out at will, but switch Caggiula and Jokinen to start. Let JJ take big draws.

I really like the idea of
Jokinen RNH Puljujarvi with Jokinen taking most draws.
Puljujarvi could be sent streaking 1on1 or alone quite a bit if they are paired with Adambomb

Yeah the more I'm looking at it the less sense it's making. At first glance I was picturing a 3A (#4) and 3B (#3), because you're right; that third line would get eaten up without limited soft minutes. But it still really makes no sense. Jokinen on that 3rd line is a no-brainer.

And to be honest I think RNH with McDavid gave me beer goggles on everything else. Really want that to happen.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If it's not there for Letestu, why would it be there for Strome? That's the role he would take. Right-handed shooter in the left slot that puts everything McDavid or Draisaitl hands him onto the net.

This is why I want a big right-handed shooter for the point on the PP. Klefbom is not much of a one-time option because he shoots left and has to take passes over his right shoulder. He can't just line up on a feed and crank it. If that option is more of a threat, PKs have to pinch up and take it away, which is going to open a seem more of the time.

We had a top-5 PP without it, I honestly feel like we could have a 25% PP with it.

Because Ryan Strome is a more skilled player than Letestu. He has better puck-moving ability, elusiveness, vision, shot, etc, etc...

As for the PP shooter...Cody Franson is your guy.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Because Ryan Strome is a more skilled player than Letestu. He has better puck-moving ability, elusiveness, vision, shot, etc, etc...

As for the PP shooter...Cody Franson is your guy.

Except he hates to backcheck, fight in corners and go to the inside etc,etc

"IF" that's the Strome we see, you are correct, however, Strome for the last 2 years has played like Pouliot and takes lazy a** penalties cuz his effort is below minimum.

Letestu is a superior player right now based on effort

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

"IF" that's the Strome we see, you are correct, however, Strome for the last 2 years has played like Pouliot and takes lazy a** penalties cuz his effort is below minimum.

We are talking about being a PP option. Strome has better offensive instincts than Mark Letestu.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yup...Strome has been anything but a smart offensive player for a while now.

I guess a lot of posters think thats going to magically change now that he is an Oiler. He has potential...but then again so did Yak.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really? I think the third line looks pretty bad.

How so?

Edit: Experience is a potential issue. Switching Jokinen with Caggiula (as Bryan mentioned) should resolve that. He can also help compensate for Stromes F/O deficiencies.

Last edited:

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Two NHL level RWs in that list (Slepyshev, Kassian), neither of whom should be playing above the third line unless injuries present.
One player who's never played wing in the NHL (Nuge) playing on the top line.
One virtual rookie (Puljujarvi) who could maybe/maybe not use some time in the AHL unless injuries present.

A lot of maybes. And I'm a fan of Nuge on the wing. And of Puljujarvi.
Not a fan of Strome at C on that third line.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Not sold on Caggiula at all.
JP hasn't shown much of anything yet. He needs someone on his line who knows what they are doing.
And center that pair with a guy like Strome? I dunno, seems like a recipe for bleeding GA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad