Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: 3C and 2nd Pairing RHD Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wonder how entrenched Matheson is in Florida. IE is he valued immensly or would they use him in a trade? I would love to get that kid, not even because hes looked good in WCs but because his regular season looked really solid. Only 17 points but 6th amongst all D for shots. I think next year hes going to break out big time

I wouldnt mind Demers for Eberle but honestly might look at matheson for him (even tho Matheson is a leftie)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
What about Jack Johnson as a one year stop gap and Sekera replacement? Only a year left on his deal and CBJ might look to trade him rather than lose him to expansion. Although it would throw a wrench in our expansion plans as CBJ would need to do it before the draft. Maybe we could get him from Vegas?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Is wrong I'd rather trust Nurse and Benning to carry the secondary offence for the start of next season? Oestele's another guy that could step in and provide offence.

If you're still wanting to bring someone in, I think you'd be better off getting someone to replace Sekera's defensive presence vs. his offensive one. A Coburn, Davidson, or Klein would be a better fit than a Jack Johnson.

Though I wouldn't mind giving Reinhart a shot either. He had a good season in Bakersfield, and looked fine in his 1 playoff game; I think he's to the level where Davidson was this season. Fayne's another name that could play too.

The question is can you trust Russell to babysit Benning or Nurse on the second pairing? Fayne could also step in if you want a stable vet on the third pairing.

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Fayne
Reinhart, Oesterle

Hardly the worst, and should hold up through the first part of the season. The big problem is though if another injury hits.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Is wrong I'd rather trust Nurse and Benning to carry the secondary offence for the start of next season? Oestele's another guy that could step in and provide offence.

If you're still wanting to bring someone in, I think you'd be better off getting someone to replace Sekera's defensive presence vs. his offensive one. A Coburn, Davidson, or Klein would be a better fit than a Jack Johnson.

Though I wouldn't mind giving Reinhart a shot either. He had a good season in Bakersfield, and looked fine in his 1 playoff game; I think he's to the level where Davidson was this season. Fayne's another name that could play too.

The question is can you trust Russell to babysit Benning or Nurse on the second pairing? Fayne could also step in if you want a stable vet on the third pairing.

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Fayne
Reinhart, Oesterle

Hardly the worst, and should hold up through the first part of the season. The big problem is though if another injury hits.

I dont think you are wrong at all to think that. Both D could continue to make big steps next year. Hell I though Benning should have been in 2nd pairing this year and played well there when he was paired with Sekera. Actually played a fair amount of 2nd pairing minutes. His most common partner was Sekera with 306 minutes. But played over 350 minutes with Nurse or Davidson on bottom pairing.

Osterle has also totally been forgotten in all this. Not only did he play well in 17 NHL games 1 year ago, he impressed in 2 brief games last year and pretty much tore the AHL up with 32 points in 44 games. Id say hes ready for an NHL shot (read: Shot not spot). Between Osterle/Reinhart/Jones I think one of those guys will really impress at camp and steal a 3rd pairing role and perform as Benning did this year. My money is on Osterle impressing. I hope we give him a long look

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Believe last I heard he was waiting until summer, expectation was maybe around July 1st. Could be wrong though.

Philly and LA are in hot on me as well, from Darren Dreger earlier on the morning show this week. Waiting till after his semester is done end of June and after the expansion draft I believe.

If it helps, I'd spend a 6th round pick and draft his brother Parker out of the AJHL Bandits if Spencer hadn't signed before the entry draft.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
People thinking that if we had just that *one more* piece that we would still be playing hockey right now (when realistically, we should be with the current line up), and so they are trying to throw out suggestions to improve what could have been by trading away assets that aren't on the roster.

Throwing away any semblance of depth on our RW and our best prospect isn't going to be happening any time soon unless it's for an upgrade on our Top6 RW or the perfect fit on D. And if we trade Pulju, we're definitely keeping Eberle. People should really focus on the more realistic of options, which is off-loading Ebs and picks for the same thing they are trying to trade Pulju for.

A lot of people have this vision in their head on what the roster should look like based on their preferences and personal opinions of people.

The reality is a lot of the improvement is going to have to come within the current roster with minor moves to round it out.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jets fans on the mains seem to think that something around the shattered husk of Tyler Myers for Puljujarvi makes sense, and that we'd need to add Klefbom to Puljujarvi to pull Trouba +. :laugh:

If that's how their management group thinks, no wonder they barely ever trade and haven't won a single playoff game since they came back.

I wouldn't move Klef for Trouba 1 for 1, let alone adding JP for whatever random assortment of scraps they'd dump in.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Philly and LA are in hot on me as well, from Darren Dreger earlier on the morning show this week. Waiting till after his semester is done end of June and after the expansion draft I believe.

If it helps, I'd spend a 6th round pick and draft his brother Parker out of the AJHL Bandits if Spencer hadn't signed before the entry draft.

Oh hi there Spencer. :laugh:

Parker's a good player in his own right, I'd have no problem using a pick on him starting in the 5th round, we have an extra one from the Larsen deal anyway. You're just hucking darts at a board at that point anyway.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Risto would be a godsend on our backend, he is asked to carry the load in Buffalo. Nurse is weak in his own end and won't be asked, or is capable to carry the load for the foreseeable future. Risto also posseses an outlet pass, you'd think Nurse was mentored by Smid in this area.

You can easily make the case that Cody Franson was a better dman last year. He out-performed Risto on pretty much every non-boxcar metric going: ESP/60, ES GF%, corsi, fenwick. Only PPP/60 is in Risto's favor and that's largely because of 60% of his PP points were 2nd assists and Franson played so little on the PP last year. Risto had no goals on the PP last year (Franson actually out-scored him 1-0 playing only 25% of the minutes) and loaded up on passenger points plain and simple.

Risto is being asked to play way over his head (which team used to do that again?) and he's drowning to be honest. Feel sorry for the kid but maybe they get crazy and trade him to us after another season like this. Nurse in contrast is being developed properly. BUF will be paying $5.4 million cap next season for an ineffective young dman who generated his counting numbers in the most useless way possible (2nd assists generated by massive PP time). What a dumb franchise and boy am I ever glad we are not them anymore.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jets fans on the mains seem to think that something around the shattered husk of Tyler Myers for Puljujarvi makes sense, and that we'd need to add Klefbom to Puljujarvi to pull Trouba +. :laugh:

If that's how their management group thinks, no wonder they barely ever trade and haven't won a single playoff game since they came back.

I wouldn't move Klef for Trouba 1 for 1, let alone adding JP for whatever random assortment of scraps they'd dump in.

Jets have a ton of wingers, so I can see why they wouldn't accept just a winger for Trouba.

Nurse + Puljujarvi for Trouba + something else maybe, but that's a risky move for both sides.

The other issue in this whole thing is does Trouba even really want to be in Canada? Because there's reason to believe he doesn't want to, and quite frankly I don't want anyone on the team who is even half thinking that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jets have a ton of wingers, so I can see why they wouldn't accept just a winger for Trouba.

Nurse + Puljujarvi for Trouba + something else maybe, but that's a risky move for both sides.

The other issue in this whole thing is does Trouba even really want to be in Canada? Because there's reason to believe he doesn't want to, and quite frankly I don't want anyone on the team who is even half thinking that.

I wouldn't do JP for Trouba if I were them either, but asking for Klefbom, or trying to pawn off Tyler Myers on us for JP is ludicrous.

That's the problem with the tradeboards, there's literally no middle ground. It's wild overpays on either side with zero thought of the other team.

Like the guy in the Draisaitl-Pastrnak thread offering Carlo and bits and pieces for Drai. :laugh:

Trouba is overrated, wants to be in the States, and has the biggest pain in the ass agent in the sport that has no problem advising his guys to hold out.

If I'm Cheveldayoff I'm auctioning him off to the highest American bidder.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I wouldn't do JP for Trouba if I were them either, but asking for Klefbom, or trying to pawn off Tyler Myers on us for JP is ludicrous.

That's the problem with the tradeboards, there's literally no middle ground. It's wild overpays on either side with zero thought of the other team.

Like the guy in the Draisaitl-Pastrnak thread offering Carlo and bits and pieces for Drai. :laugh:

Trouba is overrated, wants to be in the States, and has the biggest pain in the ass agent in the sport that has no problem advising his guys to hold out.

If I'm Cheveldayoff I'm auctioning him off to the highest American bidder.

Its laughable of that specific jets fan saying Larsson played as our #4 d man this season as well. Good god :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Its laughable of that specific jets fan saying Larsson played as our #4 d man this season as well. Good god :laugh:

Pretty sure that was the same Jets fan that said Myers for JP was ' a good deal for both sides ' :laugh:

Soft, expensive, declining and injury prone for a blue chip prospect? Of course he loves it. Where's my Pouliot for McAvoy or Dubois deal at?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Pretty sure that was the same Jets fan that said Myers for JP was ' a good deal for both sides ' :laugh:

Soft, expensive, declining and injury prone for a blue chip prospect? Of course he loves it. Where's my Pouliot for McAvoy or Dubois deal at?

He's still trying to prove Larsson being deployed as our #4 d man :laugh:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You don't trade your best prospect for 2 years of Coyle. You trade a pick for Coyle since he has to be protected

It's 3 years at least of Coyle at 3.2M. Also have a possibility of re-signing him when his current deal is up if he becomes an integral part of the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

More or less what I've been saying for months. Russell isn't taking a pay cut. This is a guy who's been paid pretty low in the NHL and this is his prime and best shot at a big pay day. He went for one last year but screwed himself by waiting too long. This year he's not changing.

I dont blame him either, get your money while you can

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
People thinking that if we had just that *one more* piece that we would still be playing hockey right now (when realistically, we should be with the current line up), and so they are trying to throw out suggestions to improve what could have been by trading away assets that aren't on the roster.

Throwing away any semblance of depth on our RW and our best prospect isn't going to be happening any time soon unless it's for an upgrade on our Top6 RW or the perfect fit on D. And if we trade Pulju, we're definitely keeping Eberle. People should really focus on the more realistic of options, which is off-loading Ebs and picks for the same thing they are trying to trade Pulju for.

Coyle adds depth to the RW...

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

More or less what I've been saying for months. Russell isn't taking a pay check. This is a guy who's been paid pretty low in the NHL and this is his prime and best shot at a big pay day. He went for one last year but screwed himself by waiting too long. This year he's not changing.

I guess. Good luck to him, but I'd try and play a bit of hardball if I'm Chiarelli.

He seems like a guy who really wants to be in Alberta. Maybe the Flames take him back at his asking price, maybe not. He has a pretty good thing going here.

I think 3 years at 3.75 is pretty fair.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site

More or less what I've been saying for months. Russell isn't taking a pay cut. This is a guy who's been paid pretty low in the NHL and this is his prime and best shot at a big pay day. He went for one last year but screwed himself by waiting too long. This year he's not changing.

Yeah he's going to CGY (really is a perfect fit for them) at 4 x 4 and that is going to make me smile. Good for him (financially) and good for us (the contract will be an albatross in 2 years or less). I really respect the guy but sometimes you simply need to appreciate a good short term play and move on.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah he's going to CGY (really is a perfect fit for them) at 4 x 4 and that is going to make me smile. Good for him (financially) and good for us (the contract will be an albatross in 2 years or less). I really respect the guy but sometimes you simply need to appreciate a good short term play and move on.

Id hope he goes to Toronto. As much is that is an overpay id want any UFAs to go East

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I can understand him wanting that contract, it's probably his last shot to get a deal with any serious term on it.

That said, I would pass at 3 years.

If he's still around on like July 5th and willing to come down to 3 per x 2 years, I'd bite on that.

I think we move Eberle for Mike Green, it just needs to be done.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Eberle to Philly 1 for 1 for Couts-

Philly needs scoring wingers, at least thats what I'm getting out of it. Really impressed with Couts' IIHF performance too.

Win win deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad