Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals - 13/14 - XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
And my point is better shown with Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. I believe Lehner was capable of being an NHL starter two years ago but he's been rotting on the bench only getting a real shot during the Anderson injury. He needs to play regularly. We're not winning anything with Anderson and we're not exactly endearing Lehner to the Sens organization.

Roy and Brodeur actually do not show your point either. I have seen this argument before from Lehner fanboys a while back, so at that point I decided to check on their early numbers. Neither Roy or Brodeur were actually rushed, and neither really thrived all that much from the starting line. It takes goalies a while to develop into starters, and Lehner will be no different.

I found what I wrote about Roy by digging back into the archives, but I didn't bother going back to get more specific numbers on Brodeur. They are all available on NHL's webpage so I did not see the point. Forgive the cut and paste from my earlier post, but it saves time.

Roy played 1 game in 84-85, and then was in the 40s for games in the next four consecutive years. That is just over half the games his team played, which means he split time with the other goalie (which is what happened with Brodeur as well). Roy did not get into the 60s for games played until his 8th season, and he did not post a season save % over .900 until his 5th year as a pro. Neither of Brodeur or Roy were rushed, and it would be a huge overstatement to say either thrived right away.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Carey Price has been the Montreal starter beginning his first year out of Junior. He has played over 50% of the games in every season since turning pro. Goalies improve by playing not by sitting.

Lehner is not a "Carey Price"

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
And my point is better shown with Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. I believe Lehner was capable of being an NHL starter two years ago but he's been rotting on the bench only getting a real shot during the Anderson injury. He needs to play regularly. We're not winning anything with Anderson and we're not exactly endearing Lehner to the Sens organization.

andy is a better goalie right now so he plays

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lehner is right on track. great goalie..inconsistent, hard to find a goalie who didn't go through the exact same thing during the beginning of his career.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Trade everyone except Zibanejad, Karlsson, Lehner.

Lmfao @ people blaming Lehner. Should be in the AHL?

18-10-2 2.12 .938 3 shutouts. Oh man, the guy definitely needs more time there!

People do realize he still has a .919 this year right?

Lehner is not a "Carey Price"

Similar accomplishments in their early years.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
mm I don't about bingo.. Hes a better backup than 25 other Nhl backups

he sits on the bench for weeks then comes in for a blowout then back to the bench. not good development

RKL, i'm not blaming lehner for the loss tonight, but i don't think it is doing much for his development here. and it costs us bishop

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
he has never been ready. should be in bingo right now. mistakes mistakes mistakes. bad management, bad.

********... he should not be in bingo. We should however have some sort of ****ing defense to help him out. Ceci played bush league tonight and I am not even going to mention Cowen. Oh yeah, and Phillips is back... yay.:help:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
he sits on the bench for weeks then comes in for a blowout then back to the bench. not good development

RKL, i'm not blaming lehner for the loss tonight, but i don't think it is doing much for his development here. and it costs us bishop

I apologize, I jumped the gun cause I assumed you thought he wasn't ready and sucks therefore should be in the AHL.

However, he has proven everything needed to prove in the AHL. He NEEDS NHL experience. Heck, games like this can bode well for his development in battling through mental struggles and inconsistencies.

If you wanna argue his development is being hindered because he rarely plays, blame the coach, who continuously chooses to play another goalie who isn't even ****ing faring any better overall.

IMO, the way Lehner has been handled this year has been disgusting.

He was saving our ****ing ***** early on this year while Anderson was playing brutal hockey. MacLean rewards him with rare starts from time to time and yet expects same performances by Lehner in those infrequent starts while Ottawa is still playing horrible hockey.

What that lead to was Lehner being blamed for anything short of a spectacular performance and therefore mounted so much pressure on him to succeed.

Guess what, when Ottawa was playing amazing hockey after Christmas, Lehner STILL never got any ****ing starts even though Anderson wasn't even playing lights out hockey.

Give me a break.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lehner isn't the first young goalie to sit behind an older experienced goalie, Rask did it for a number of yrs, Schneider did it in Vancouver, Crawford in Chicago. They have to be ready to play when they get the call, unfortunately for Lehner he is stuck behind a young inexperienced defence & a forward group that does not come back to help defensively & give the puck away a lot. But he also makes his share of mistakes which I would expect from a young goalie.

For whatever reason tonight once they fell behind they seemed to give up & couldn't muster anything after that & fell further behind & Lehner couldn't stop a beach ball. I don't think it has to do with his development but rather that he plays on a team that is not playing very well at both ends of the ice. He wasn't ready to play & his team wasn't ready to play for whatever reason, he needs to be better & his team needs to support him more.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Some people just love Lehner too much and are blinded by it

He is the backup and thus he needs to be rdy go. He has been blown out a lot recently which isn't acceptable.

Most young goalies do this but Andy is the guy so deal with it

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If im Murray right now, Im talking to Phillips to see how he feels to be a rental for the playoffs, and then I try to bring another good defensemen like methot or Erhoff to play with Cowen.

Honestly I think we need to bring a good D for Cowen to devellop. He is horrible but the guy is playing with Karlsson and he cant be put on a high risk position right now... He cant play with our young defensemen either like Grybs or Ceci or Wiercioch... Sens went big on him and now they needs to bring him a tutor. The other thing is Borowiecki is also ready to play. Id rather not trade Wiercoch but he will probably be the odd man out.. And. We will regret it

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Some people just love Lehner too much and are blinded by it

He is the backup and thus he needs to be rdy go. He has been blown out a lot recently which isn't acceptable.

Most young goalies do this but Andy is the guy so deal with it

Lol @ acting like Anderson has played better than Lehner.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Lehner hasn't put up a dominant stretch nearly as impressive as Price did at the start of his career but I think he's definitely the best goaltending prospect to come up since Carey, and I think he has the potential to be just as good as Price. Certainly as good as he is right now.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Can we all just agree that overall its been our defense this season thats sucked. Sure Lehner has been crap of late but our defense and pk hasnt been helping. Both Lehner and Andy are at the very least average starters. Average goaltending would be enough to get us into the playoffs if our defense didnt suck so much. Look at the Hawks, Blues and Pens. 3 of the best teams that make do with average goaltending cause they know how to defend

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Carey Price is 26, has been in the NHL for six seasons, and has only been starting to show his true potential after the lockout last year and into this season. That's nearly 5 years of inconsistency and flashes of brilliance before settling into what he is now.

Expecting Lehner to wave a magic wand and somehow be brilliant behind the worst (or maybe send worst to Buffalo) defense in the league is insane. The kid is going to be a good one, but like I said over and over earlier this season, we need to protect him and play better team defense or else we'll royally **** up his development.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We overrate our own prospects here too much I think and expect too much from them. We got extremely lucky with Karlsson in the way that he developed. We have some nice, promising core guys but nobody really elite coming through the pipeline...the closest thing we have is Lazar, but even most people recognize that he's more of a heart and soul type guy (which we need) and by the time he's really primed we're not going to have an elite centre like Spezza anymore.

It might be time for another 'retool'. Move Spezza, Ryan, Michalek, Phillips and Neil for the best possible offers. Next year should be a good year to have a bunch of first rounders (which of course will come at a premium unfortunately).

Ottawa was very lucky in that they got huge performances out of their goaltending, and Spezza + Karlsson had ridiculous form two years ago. It made the team look better than it actually is.

Just IMO right now. Could just be reeling from a recent poor string of performances. If only our goaltending could go back to last year.

Carey Price is 26, has been in the NHL for six seasons, and has only been starting to show his true potential after the lockout last year and into this season. That's nearly 5 years of inconsistency and flashes of brilliance before settling into what he is now.

Expecting Lehner to wave a magic wand and somehow be brilliant behind the worst (or maybe send worst to Buffalo) defense in the league is insane. The kid is going to be a good one, but like I said over and over earlier this season, we need to protect him and play better team defense or else we'll royally **** up his development.

Carey Price, going into this season, had a career save % of .915 and had been the backbone of Montreal for that entire time. He had rough patches, but he has been amazing throughout his career in the NHL despite his young age.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Trade everyone except Zibanejad, Karlsson, Lehner.

Lmfao @ people blaming Lehner. Should be in the AHL?

18-10-2 2.12 .938 3 shutouts. Oh man, the guy definitely needs more time there!

People do realize he still has a .919 this year right?

Similar accomplishments in their early years.

I would argue that Lehner should be in the AHL not because he isnt good enough to be a backup in the NHL but because he needs to play a lot of games in a season.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
I can not face palm hard enough at anyone blaming that on Lehner....

I cannot understand how ppl dont see he is beyond ahl competition....

I get that ppl are impatient but young goalies have this happen...its life...

Lehner will be the best goalie to ever play here if he gets better managed...

I've never said, thought, or agreed with ppl who've said this before but, maybe it's time to consider a coaching change.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad