Trade Rumors 2013 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
He went square into him. The goalie is allowed to try to get back to his net which is what he was going to try do since he misplayed the puck. If he had tried to pull up or make a move to go between him and the boards I would agree. But he just went for the hit. And it was probably legal against any other player but the goalie.

Which always cracks me up when the goalie has the most padding out of anyone. Smith embellishes too. That barely looked like a hit at all. But cause it's a goalie, it's a major. I don't consider that a dirty hit.

KingKopitar11*

He went square into him. The goalie is allowed to try to get back to his net which is what he was going to try do since he misplayed the puck. If he had tried to pull up or make a move to go between him and the boards I would agree. But he just went for the hit. And it was probably legal against any other player but the goalie.

Edler was going fast to get the puck and smith mishandled it and got in his way, there was going to be some quick as hell reaction time to avoid him. It was smiths fault. Edler wasn't going for the hit, smith just kamikazed and got in his way when he screwed up the stick handling so edler couldn't retrieve it .

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
If they're talking, it's not about Gaborik.

No deal. Gabborik doesn't fit into L.A.'s system.

Go find some other team to unload him to.

No need to be so dickish about it, he was here in peace. :nod:

But yeah, moving Scuds isn't an option right now.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
From what he said, I think he is in no rush to trade Bernier. May as well hang on to him until there is a decent offer.

That's what I got out of it too. Honestly, I don't think Bernier is going anywhere until the off season. He's too valuable right now.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Rangers fans are over-valuing the hell out of Gaborik.

Brown+1st for Gaborik+3rd,

Gaborik for Voynov and Williams.

Gaborik+3rd for Toffoli, Clifford, 1st.

:biglaugh:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I think Dean's already done that ? people might not agree or like who Dean got for that position but I think ELLERBY is exactly the low risk/high reward type of move Lombardi has traditionally tried to build with. Picks up a former 1st round Draftee for a 5th, a kid who has struggled because maybe he was rushed and on a poor team that never really properly developed him, but still has that potential, still has the size, still has skating ability, still a potential diamond in the rough maybe ? In an ideal situation Ellerby develops into a slightly more physical version of Rob Scuderi. At 24, Ellerby's way ahead of where Scuderi was at that age ... Scuderi didn't break into the NHL until he was 26 I think ?, and at 24 Ellerby already has 4 years of NHL experience under him, so let's give the kid some more time, hell he's barely had the chance to get used to playing the Western Conf style or Kings style of play just yet, and people are already writing him off it seems, give him some time. Now whether or not he pans out is anyone's guess, but I think at a minimum he's Lombardi's Plan B in case he can't sign Scuderi to a cheap deal to come back, or to maybe replace Mitchell if he can't return from these injuries.

Great points puck.

I wrote my response while on the road (I had a few minutes in between one place to another) so I may not have worded it perfectly. My point was meant as an example of why you would move a great young prospect or a solid proven young player and that was only as part of a deal for a long term upgrade and even then only when you had exceptional depth that would allow you to do so.

My overall point is that I would stand pat unless a perfect situation came along, especially so on D.

If we hadn't won the cup last season then we wouldn't already know what we do and that is that we have enough talent and depth to win the cup on our roster today. If a perfect fit came along to any team at any time and you can afford to make the deal then any GM should always remain open to the idea.

Making a deal where we give up any of our top prospects or young players would only make sense to me if a perfect situation that provided a better long term solution than we already have could be found.

I don't see any of the rentals that do that at all and that is why I would be more inclined to stand pat then make any deals.

I agree with you Puck that we have already filled a hole by picking up Ellerby and that deal is a perfect example of smart asset mgmt and the kind of deal that I am talking about. We Loki sitting around and moved him for a 5th and then moved a 5th for Ellerby. Perfect and he could become the player that we are looking for in a season or two.

76, I was only writing a situational example and didn't have a player in mind at all when I wrote what I did. I meant it as more of an example of what I would do in that situation. I wouldn't move any of our kids today unless we were in a situation where a team that was overloaded with talented SAH types who were young cheap and signed were looking for the same things in a young PMD.

If we could move A Mart as an example for an equally talented young SAH with grit I would do it because we have Des ready to come up next season and Roach right behind him. We are really deep with young PMD and have Gravel as our only really solid potential SAH hybrid in that area on the horizon.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Or they are undervaluing the Kings. Not that it matters because Gaboriks ship sailed a loooong time ago.

They're making pretty much same offers for every team. 2 roster players+pick or 1 + blue chip prospect and a 1st.

But like you said, they are undervaluing some of the King's players, one said that Williams is a 3rd liner.. so yeah, either way I don't see a single deal to be made and Gaborik would be torn to shreds by Sutter as Torts has already done to him and add to fact he's a RW who cannot play the LW at all.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I have zero interest in Gaborik. His cap hit is brutal and the pieces required to attain him are not going to be moved, for him at least. Iginla is great, but our offense is awesome. I would make him an offer during the offseason, but not now.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
The Rangers are the perfect cautionary tale for everyone who thinks that we need to add this big name player or that big name player or pull the trigger on one big deal or another.

The Rangers ALWAYS go get the biggest bestest most greatest players available (Gabby, Nash and on and on and on and on) and here they are, totally ****, nowhere hear the top team in the game for all of their star power and completely up against cap nightmares next season.

We are in great shape and with DL we should be for awhile.

We might make a deal but it won't be to gut ourselves so we can get a maybe better player. It will be a smart move and the closer the deadline comes the more players who could become available.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Rangers fans are over-valuing the hell out of Gaborik.

Brown+1st for Gaborik+3rd,

Gaborik for Voynov and Williams.

Gaborik+3rd for Toffoli, Clifford, 1st.

:biglaugh:

I saw one yesterday that was Gaborik + Thomas (5'8" prospect) for Richards + Voynov :help:

RonSwanson*

It's common knowledge that NYR want to get rid of Gaborik's contract. Any Rangers fan who acts like he's some great value is deceiving you. That's not "coming in peace".

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I don't think we overvalue Voynov, teams would kill for him. Go to the Rangers board and look at all their Gaborik (who they greatly overvalue) proposals to the Kings, almost all of them want Voynov back in return

I understand that other teams want VV and rightfully so. My point is that we have an inflated value of VV. Let me ask you this: what would you offer for a VV? Let's just keep it to draft picks to simplify if possible.

With Voynov it's not overvaluing. He's arguably having the best sophomore season in the league. And is really just finished playing his first full season games wise. Only bad thing with Voynov is the fact we will now have to pay him. I really expect if we don't give him a good raise he will get an offer sheet that is dumb. Look at OEL and the contract he just signed. And the numbers are very close the only difference is he has played twice as many games and they are the same age.

I agree with everything except the overvaluing part. Let's face it, it would take an overpayment for us to even consider moving VV.

Ron*

The Flames are such a sad, sad team. They got smoked by the Jackets. I am wondering when Feaster/Ken King realize it's time to throw in the towel.

They've come to this point without doing what they needed to do for three years, why should they change their philosophy now? As long as they will be stubborn about it, the Flames will be a cellar-dweller.

Incompetents rule in Calgary.

Ron*

Everyone writes that they "come in peace." I always thought that was the most ridiculous thing anyone ever writes on these boards...as though if they don't write it, then they are automatically "coming to troll."

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Everyone writes that they "come in peace." I always thought that was the most ridiculous thing anyone ever writes on these boards...as though if they don't write it, then they are automatically "coming to troll."

"come in peace" is almost as annoying as "I know it's only Eklund...".

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
It's really a shame that Greene and Willie won't be back before the trade deadline. A guy like Scuds with 2 rings with 2 different teams could have returned a 1st.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
It's really a shame that Greene and Willie won't be back before the trade deadline. A guy like Scuds with 2 rings with 2 different teams could have returned a 1st.

Ummmm ? :huh: Don't think we would be shipping him off even IF those two were healthy all year ... Dean was reportedly trying to work out an extension with Scuderi as well.
Plus I think he'd return more than just a 1st as well ? but a chance at getting another Cup isn't worth trading him at this time.

IF we were OUT of the playoff hunt, this would be a good discussion ... now ? not so much ! ;)

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Ummmm ? :huh: Don't think we would be shipping him off even IF those two were healthy all year ... Dean was reportedly trying to work out an extension with Scuderi as well.
Plus I think he'd return more than just a 1st as well ? but a chance at getting another Cup isn't worth trading him at this time.

IF we were OUT of the playoff hunt, this would be a good discussion ... now ? not so much ! ;)

Yeah, I remember. But if you think about it, we'd still be a very good defensive team even without Scuds as long as we had both Willie and Greene back.

DD-Muzz
Willie-VV
Greene-Amart

Looks damn solid to me.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I understand that other teams want VV and rightfully so. My point is that we have an inflated value of VV. Let me ask you this: what would you offer for a VV? Let's just keep it to draft picks to simplify if possible.

Why would the thought of trading a sure thing in a young defenseman like Voynov, for draft picks ever enter our minds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad