Trade Rumors 2013 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The HNIC crew on the Hotstove made mention of Iginla and the small list of teams that is on his list (the Kings are one of them according to Dreger) and the Flames are seeking good young players and picks.

Kevin Weekes added that Iginla does not want to be a rental player, so there could be an opportunity for him to stick with the team he is dealt to. I would like to liken it to the Bruins acquiring Mark Recchi, who played a few seasons with Boston before hanging them up (and won a Cup with them in the process). If the Kings can get Iginla signed to a one or two year extension, then the Kings probably have to strongly consider him as a legit option.

I'm not keen on Iginla as a rental, but as a one or two year option beyond this season, it makes more sense.

I just don't see how Iginla would fit in for next year cap wise. Granted, I' dont know what he'd sign for, but his cap hit right now is $7 million. Even if he resigned for half of that (which would be well below market value, he could easily get $5 million or more in UFA), it would be a tough fit.

Iginla will cost a lot, so I'd rather add a little and get someone like Jordan Eberle as a longterm solution. He isn't having a great season, so his value probably dropped a bit. Maybe Bernier+Martinez/Muzzin+prospect+pick would get Edmonton to listen.

Add 'a little' and get Eberle? Eberle to them is like Carter to us, not to mention he's 6-7 years younger. You'd be paying out the ass to get him.

Iginla has never been just a rental and I hate it when people say that. Iginla is the type of player who's track record and status will dictate this trade and where he ends up. He's getting traded to a team where he wants to play and that team will sign him to an extension.

What track record? He's been a Flame his entire NHL playing career. The only track record he has is being loyal to the Flames. There is nothing to support a claim he'd want to resign where he goes unless he himself publicly says that, and that wouldn't happen until after a trade anyways. Until he resigns someplace, he is a rental.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The last thing, what we need is an old, slow, right shooting "star" winger like Iginla. It's going to be an awful mistake, if we'll make a trade to get him. Chicago is a fast team, Vancouver is a fast team - Iginla is a totally useless and liability against them.

This is totally wrong. Iginla isn't the 50 goal guy he was, but he's still a very useful player who would do well on many teams top lines. He's definately not 'slow' and 'useless' against some teams.

He's played Vancouver 3 times this season and Chicago once. In those four games, he's scored one goal and two assists for 3 points and has 19 shots and is an even +/- despite the Flames being outscored 11-9. Seems to be holding his own in my opinion.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The HNIC crew on the Hotstove made mention of Iginla and the small list of teams that is on his list (the Kings are one of them according to Dreger) and the Flames are seeking good young players and picks.

Kevin Weekes added that Iginla does not want to be a rental player, so there could be an opportunity for him to stick with the team he is dealt to. I would like to liken it to the Bruins acquiring Mark Recchi, who played a few seasons with Boston before hanging them up (and won a Cup with them in the process). If the Kings can get Iginla signed to a one or two year extension, then the Kings probably have to strongly consider him as a legit option.

I'm not keen on Iginla as a rental, but as a one or two year option beyond this season, it makes more sense.

Seems to me that the Flames need help on D and in goal. Could a package centered around Martinez or Muzzin look attractive? Once Greene and/or Mitchell return, a move like this would make some space on the roster.

Martinez + Kozun + pick
or
Muzzin + pick

for Iginla. Then return Toffoli to Manchester and keep Penner on the third or fourth line. Adding Iginla would really complete the forward lines.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Okay so Eklund put out one of his infamous 'big trade' rumors that a major trade of a player never thought to be moved that wll shake the hockey world. There are some curious guesses on the main board. Ovie wasn't a surprise, given how that team doesn't seem to respond to him , can't say as I blame them, I don't think many players would like playing with him. But I was surprised at how many threw Malkin out there. Course being Eklund ,it's all probably hot air...

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Eklund and TSN are now speculating about the potential of a big deal getting done too.

I remain skeptical but like I said, there have been allot of rumblings going on where our name comes up. Some small and some Big.

We just won the cup so making any big move seems unlikely on the scale of these rumors but then you never know. Interesting anyways. I say no but you never know.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
If it's anything of worthy, most likely an Iginla trade. I really can't see any trade for us that would be considered BIG.

Doughty getting moved could be big I suppose...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Every year it's the same thing.

A contender trades a good prospect or good picks for a veteran player, HF which ofcourse stands for Hockey's FUTURE explodes with people calling it an overpayment.

Pittsburgh has Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Neal, Kunitz all still in their prime years, if they feel Brenden Morrow may put them over the top they are going to make the deal, they owe it to their fans and most importantly their current players.

Just like if DL pulls the trigger on Iginla, it's because he feels Iginla is the type of player that will make the difference in a series against the Hawks or Ducks.

Plus, let's be honest. Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Carter, Toffoli, Stoll, Clifford, King, Lewis look to be here for a long time, how long before some of these hot shot prospects end up like Loktionov, where there is no room.

The Kings clearly need another finisher, and they have a core in their primes signed long term. It makes sense for the Kings.

RonSwanson*

A contender trades a good prospect or good picks for a veteran player, HF which ofcourse stands for Hockey's FUTURE explodes with people calling it an overpayment.

Pittsburgh has Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Neal, Kunitz all still in their prime years, if they feel Brenden Morrow may put them over the top they are going to make the deal, they owe it to their fans and most importantly their current players.

Just like if DL pulls the trigger on Iginla, it's because he feels Iginla is the type of player that will make the difference in a series against the Hawks or Ducks.

Plus, let's be honest. Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Carter, Toffoli, Stoll, Clifford, King, Lewis look to be here for a long time, how long before some of these hot shot prospects end up like Loktionov, where there is no room.

The Kings clearly need another finisher, and they have a core in their primes signed long term. It makes sense for the Kings.

Absolutely. A lot of fans act like LA should be rebuilding again soon. Defend the Cup!

KingKopitar11*

Looks like Pittsburgh is out with the Morrow trade.

Kings, Boston, Chicago left i think.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010

Im very much on to similar thinking where you "play for now" while your in contention. The Yankees have done it for years in the MLB trading away a plethora of prospects for the NOW and continuing to contend year in year out. I have and see no reason why the LA Kings couldnt do the same, especially the way DL and company draft gems in later rounds. Iginla, Jagr, Robidas or anyone else who will solidify our deep lineup Im all for getting. Sometimes your going to give up a gem but if we are able to consistently compete in the top 5 around the league its worth it to me.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Looks like Pittsburgh is out with the Morrow trade.

Kings, Boston, Chicago left i think.

Ill likely be wrong on this one but Id say Chicago looks more for Defensive depth and a center then trying to land Iginla. Again, with me saying that they likely end up with Iggy but I could surmise LA and BOS are more then likely the front runners

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Im very much on to similar thinking where you "play for now" while your in contention. The Yankees have done it for years in the MLB trading away a plethora of prospects for the NOW and continuing to contend year in year out. I have and see no reason why the LA Kings couldnt do the same, especially the way DL and company draft gems in later rounds. Iginla, Jagr, Robidas or anyone else who will solidify our deep lineup Im all for getting. Sometimes your going to give up a gem but if we are able to consistently compete in the top 5 around the league its worth it to me.

The Yankes are an AWFUL comparison, they simply outbid everyone when it comes to free agents (Teixeria, Sabathia, A-Rod, Giambi, Clemens, etc) because they generate more revenue than anyone else and don't have a salary cap to worry about. Because of this, trading away prized prospects is really no big deal to them. There is no way the Kings could try and emulate the Yankees even if they wanted to

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
We have snipers down on the farm who are close to ready. It could be argued that TT is ready to start today as one of our top 6 due to his being a sniper. Vey is clearly close to ready to get his first cup of tea and like I said when we drafted him is a lock for a 3rd line center with upside.

I am all for dealing young players prospects and picks to shore up holes if needed or even if we are dealing them to make significant upgrades to our line up as well. I am not down with the idea that simply because a player is established and has been good that we should sell the farm to get them on the team in the hopes that they will absolutely make us better.

In Iggy's case yes, he still has some gas in the tank and is a solid player no doubt but I wouldn't include Vey Toffi or even A Mart in a move to get him unless he was already signed to a 3yr deal.

Same can be said for Morrow etc. There are players out there who are upgrades at a few of our spots but they aren't pending UFA's.

I think that TT and Vey could use a little bit more seasoning but I would rather go with them then deal them for anything short of a significant upgrade over what we already have available and even then only if that was an area of critical need.

Its the Detroit philosophy, keep adding from within and go out and get players only when they are significantly better than what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad