Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I would say if they can squeeze the years, Girardi at 5.4 is fairly reasonable. I would sign him if they can narrow down the years slightly. I would consult with AV and give him the call on that one. I can go either way with that price.

Cally? Trade him. Long term 6 million+ per? LOL, yeah that contract won't be a complete disaster.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
5 yr deals at the most. anything more is an overpayment this franchise cannot do.

callahan asking for that kinda deal is putting this organization in a tough spot. hes looking to win a cup ( cant blame him) and believes he can get moved to a contender and do that. i wish him well. sell him off for the best deal and make marc staal the capt.

with the signing of kleiner and the love affair with mcilrath, danny g is in a weaker bargaining position. hes gonna have to move to 5 years. 5.5 @ 5 would be a bargain but would prob mean stralman is a goner.

cally should bring us a decent return. young centerman ready to play top 6 minutes would be very nice and a #1 perhaps

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
This is true regarding Girardi... He's still in his prime. Why NOT over pay for a solid defenseman in his prime for the next 3-4 years? I'd personally give him 6 years at 5.8 per.

He's not offensive like Phaneuf, so I can't see him getting Pahneuf Money

If Girardi makes it to the open market, he could get more than Phaneuf.

Think about that.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Girardi has missed 2 games since becoming a Ranger, despite the way he plays. He's not injury prone. Signing him 6 years @ 5-5.5 AAV isn't that much of a risk. Would prefer 5, but don't mind one extra year and lower cap hit.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
See ya later captain.

As for Girardi, I could stomach that if the term was cut by two years. But of course he would want more AAV.

Wouldn't they have to sign them BEFORE the trade deadline if they want to trade them? Sather can't wait until the 11th hour to do this. Once again, the CigarMan has to plan.

He isn't. They already have this stuff planned out. They probably talked about this situation over the summer.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Girardi has missed 2 games since becoming a Ranger, despite the way he plays. He's not injury prone. Signing him 6 years @ 5-5.5 AAV isn't that much of a risk. Would prefer 5, but don't mind one extra year and lower cap hit.

It's a little bit naive to truly believe Girardi will continue his ironman status into his 30's.

Anton Volchenkov. That's all I have to say.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Both of them will get 7 years as free agents. They know that.

Agreed. But I feel Girardi can be negotiated. Cally, on the other hand, I think he is going to try to maximize his contract. I mean more power to him(I would probably do the same thing), but the Rangers need to move on.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So here is a hypothetical for everyone that I am sure people will pick apart:

Callahan is asking for 8 years @ 6.8 million/season with a NMC and will not budge.

Girardi is asking for 7 years @ 6.5 million/season with a NMC and will not budge.

Not unreasonable contracts and what they could easily get on the open market.

Chicago has the top offer for Callahan:
Hartman + Clendening + CHI 1st '14

Tampa has the top offer for Girardi:
Connolly + Nesterov + TB 1st '14

What would you do? Sign the players? Trade the players? Keep one but not the other?

Obviously the teams can be changed and the players can change slightly but assuming that is the value you could return, what do you do?

Possibly.
But what I get from the main board is they want C depth, esp. 2C

They'd give us something negligible for Brassard.

Or they might really pay major big time thru the nose for Stepan.

If the return is right.
Make the deal.

greatly improve the club.
if we are badly short a C -- and I think internal cards should be played --- but we have a fallback to buy Statsny for a real short 1-2 year deal at top $ he wants, but again, the quid pro quo for top dollar is minimal length.

We are ahead w/all assets Hawks give us for Stepan.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The other thing that hasn't really been discussed much is that we don't really NEED Callahan like we used to. We've got Nash and MZA both obviously capable of playing top 6 RW minutes, Dorsett who can play 3rd line RW and two of our top (and close to NHL ready) prospects - Fast and Kristo - are RWs. Heck, even Miller (who should be a center) is a better player at RW than he is at LW.

I'd move 'em both, but if you can get Girardi on good terms, he's the one you keep. Callahan SHOULD be moved - in almost any scenario, even if he's willing to accept a somewhat reasonable deal.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Thing is, if Girardi goes down in years, the cap hit he'll want goes way up.

We don't have leverage here. He knows he'll get ridiculous offers on the open market.

I can live with 5.4 for 5 years though.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Have to trade Callahan.

$6M+ at 7 years, for a player who is injury prone, and scores 25 goals / 45 points?

Disaster. He's never been a $6M player. Let alone $6M+.

Girardi reported looking for 7 years at $5.4M? Not interested in that either. His last two years have been the worst two years of his career.

If we can ink Girardi for $4-4.5M, I'd love to do it, but it won't happen.

It sucks that Clarkson skewed the entire market, and now everyone wants a 7 year $7M deal.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
The other thing that hasn't really been discussed much is that we don't really NEED Callahan like we used to. We've got Nash and MZA both obviously capable of playing top 6 RW minutes, Dorsett who can play 3rd line RW and two of our top (and close to NHL ready) prospects are RWs.

He SHOULD be moved.

Plus a lot of his value comes from special teams, and our bottom six has guys who can take almost all of those minutes at the same productivity. Callahan's versatility's nice but I'm not sure we even *need* it in the short-term.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The other thing that hasn't really been discussed much is that we don't really NEED Callahan like we used to. We've got Nash and MZA both obviously capable of playing top 6 RW minutes, Dorsett who can play 3rd line RW and two of our top (and close to NHL ready) prospects are RWs.

I'd move 'em both, but if you can get Girardi on good terms, he's the one you keep. Callahan should be moved in almost any scenario, even if he's willing to accept a somewhat reasonable deal.

Dorsett CANNOT play on the 3rd line, are you nuts? Guy scores 10 goals a year.

I'd keep Brad, personally.

Kreider-Step-Nash
Hagelin-Richards-
Poo-Brass-Zucc
Carcillo/Moree/Boyle/Dorsett

Whatever Callahan can return in a trade can fill the empty RW slot, as well as replace a free-agent-to-be that we would not intend on resigning

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
is it bad that i'm really excited by this news? Especially with the possibilities Cally can land us
Girardi I wouldnt be against trading for but the only thing is who would take his spot as the 1RD? Stralman? Another guy who needs to be signed but the minutes Girardi eats up needs to be accounted for

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Am seriously giddy at the prospect of what we could acquire for Callahan.

Have we discussed what his value on the trade market is?

Last year, Jagr brought back 2 medicore prospects and a conditional 2nd rounder. Derek Roy brought back a decent prospect and a 2nd rounder. Bouwmeester brought back 2 mediocre prospects, a 1st and a 4th.

On the other hand, the year before Gaustad went for a 1st. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Also feels like this will go right up to the deadline in March, doesn't feel like the Rangers will do anything before this Olympic deadline.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm sorry but Girardi should NOT be let go of. Like said earlier, we do not have #1 RHD other than Klein, who I'm not comfortable moving from 3rd to 1st pairing in one offseason. Stralman is too mobile to play a shutdown defensive role (regardless of him being a defensive defenseman).

Sign Girardi for 6 Years @ $6M. He still gets the security of a long-term deal, while getting $36M total salary (instead of his requested $37.6), doesn't bbind the cap down too far

but send Callahan packing.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Have we discussed what his value on the trade market is?

Last year, Jagr brought back 2 medicore prospects and a conditional 2nd rounder. Derek Roy brought back a decent prospect and a 2nd rounder. Bouwmeester brought back 2 mediocre prospects, a 1st and a 4th.

On the other hand, the year before Gaustad went for a 1st. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Bouwmeester played three straight bad years on a bad team, and had a no trade clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad