Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Everyone, including Callahan, knows hes a better player than Clarkson.

So, why should he accept a Clarkson deal?

Because Clarkson's deal is already widely known to be one of the worst contracts in the league today, and any team with half a brain in the front office would realize that and buy him out? Or, because Callahan likes this franchise? Because Callahan wants to play his days out for the same team that helped him go from a guy projected to be a marginal spark plug player to a top 6 RW and captain of an original 6 franchsise? Because he likes this area? I don't know. There are a million potential reasons Cally could accept a deal like that. I'm not saying any of these are true, (expect the first, and obviously I don't know if that matters to Cally) but they're possibilities.

Unless I missed something big, which is possible, we still know pretty much nothing and every optimistic proposal is just as likely to occur as every pessimistic one. Which is to say none of us have any idea what's going on .

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
On TSN Pierre lebrun and bob McKenzie were saying that if they don't get Callahan or GirardI signed by the trade deadline they are determined to trade one or both of them.Sather(gauging market interest right now~dreger)
Both guys want long term deals....GirardI is looking 7 yrs 5.4 mil yr.
Callahan looking at 7 yrs starting at 6 mil.
Tterm is the concern for the rangers.
Rangers dont see themselves as top contenders and are reluctant to see either assets walk for nothing

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I could stomach a 5.4 mil cap hit for Girardi but the a 7-year term is a bit much.

Cally's demands are STARTING at 6 million? LOL BYE.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
TSN Insider segment

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

Insider Trading Stamkos Watch is the video

Girardi and Callahan

Dreger said the Rangers have reached out to teams about Callahan.

McKenzie. The Rangers will trade one or both if they are not signed by the deadline. They aren't a Cup contender. Are determined to trade them if they aren't signed by March 5th.

Girardi wants 7 years. Bouwmeester $$$. $5.4M.

Callahan wants 7 years. Upwards of $6M.

The Rangers are concerned about the term and the age of both players. Sounds familiar:)

Jan 8, 2012
NY
On TSN Pierre lebrun and bob McKenzie were saying that if they don't get Callahan or GirardI signed by the trade deadline they are determined to trade one or both of them.Sather(gauging market interest right now~dreger)
Both guys want long term deals....GirardI is looking 7 yrs 5.4 mil yr.
Callahan looking at 7 yrs starting at 6 mil.
Tterm is the concern for the rangers.
Rangers dont see themselves as top contenders and are reluctant to see either assets walk for nothing

See ya later captain.

As for Girardi, I could stomach that if the term was cut by two years. But of course he would want more AAV.

Wouldn't they have to sign them BEFORE the trade deadline if they want to trade them? Sather can't wait until the 11th hour to do this. Once again, the CigarMan has to plan.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'm glad to hear Sather's not ruling out dealing them. It's like, gasp, he's thinking long term?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I absolutely refuse to give Girardi a deal longer than 5 years. Though 5.4 per I could live with.

Callahan wants 6 million for 7 years? Yeah, goodbye.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
That Girardi figured could be negotiated. I'd be more than content at that number, maybe a tad less if they could get it down for 5 or so years.

Callahan could take a hike for a deal like that. Good to hear that they're willing to trade him and/or Girardi if they can't get something done because letting them walk for nothing is unacceptable.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
See ya later captain.

As for Girardi, I could stomach that if the term was cut by two years. But of course he would want more AAV.

Wouldn't they have to sign them BEFORE the trade deadline if they want to trade them? Sather can't wait until the 11th hour to do this. Once again, the CigarMan has to plan.

Both of them will get 7 years as free agents. They know that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
TSN Insider segment

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

Insider Trading Stamkos Watch is the video

Girardi and Callahan

Dreger said the Rangers have reached out to teams about Callahan.

McKenzie. The Rangers will trade one or both if they are not signed by the deadline. They aren't a Cup contender. Are determined to trade them if they aren't signed by March 5th.

Girardi wants 7 years. Bouwmeester $$$. $5.4M.

Callahan wants 7 years. Upwards of $6M.

The Rangers are concerned about the term and the age of both players. Sounds familiar:)

Something you didn't mention is that the Rangers are apparently way more confident that they'll get Girardi signed. 7 years is tough to swallow, but it sounds like his dollar demand is more reasonable. If they can bring him down to 5 years, $5.5-5.6m, I think that'd be fine.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
In the modern free agent market, hometown discounts are a myth. In term and cap hit.

Callahan and Girardi are no exception.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Something you didn't mention is that the Rangers are apparently way more confident that they'll get Girardi signed. 7 years is tough to swallow, but it sounds like his dollar demand is more reasonable. If they can bring him down to 5 years, $5.5-5.6m, I think that'd be fine.

Dreger reported that.

What did McKenzie say about the 7 year term demanded by Giradi? If the Rangers don't give it to him,other teams will offer it to him. Bob also said the Rangers are concerned about 7 year terms with both players at their age. Why would Girardi come down to 5 years unless the money is much more $5.5M?

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6s

Since taping Insider Trading earlier, now hearing 6-year term not out of the question for Girardi. Suspect NYR would prefer 5.

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania
Giving Callahan 7 years is not wise. I love Cally but his style of play doesn't lend itself to a long playing career at a high level.

Girardi at $4,750,000 for 5-6 years seems reasonable to me if that is where they end up.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6s

Since taping Insider Trading earlier, now hearing 6-year term not out of the question for Girardi. Suspect NYR would prefer 5.

Would be happy with Girardi for 5 years.

Callahan I say PEACE OUT to, especially considering we'd get a buttload for him at the deadline.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I would absolutely keep Girardi. 5.5 Million over 7 years. In 3 years the cap will be close to 80 million dollars. In 5 years it will be close to 90 million. Even if Girardi has slowed down drastically that is a very small % of the cap by then.

Id even bump it up to 5.75 for 6 years and trade Callahan.

That makes me happy as hell to hear. Slats has finally done something right.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
The best thing is if they have to move them, management doesn't have to deal with either guy having an NTC or NMC. Open it up to the entire league, and start the bidding war.

Although it seems like they could get something done with Girardi.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Callahan, I think will deteriorate.

Girardi is another story. He's been healthy for the entirety of his career. Yes, he plays a demanding style, but not every player that plays a demanding style breaks down. Besides, it's not as if Girardi is 33/34, or even 32 - he's still relatively young and in his prime.

I am not opposed to re-signing him as much as I am Callahan, but I am not opposed to moving G, either.

This is true regarding Girardi... He's still in his prime. Why NOT over pay for a solid defenseman in his prime for the next 3-4 years? I'd personally give him 6 years at 5.8 per.

He's not offensive like Phaneuf, so I can't see him getting Pahneuf Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad