Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Sather controls the whole thing. Tell them that if the deal is not signed by the end of the Olympic break you will be traded. Make a deadline. Stick to it.

I'm just not so sure it's that easy. Ego's get involved. Sather definitely has a big one with negotiations, according to reports. I'm sure agents realize they need to hold firm too. It's a game of chicken.

Agents tell their players that management will take advantage of them if they don't play hardball. Management plays hardball so that they aren't crippled by terrible contracts.

Our RFA contract negotiations tend to go to the wire.

Just how it works. In an ideal world, negotiations would take place earlier with the sense of urgency they hold when both parties have their backs against the wall. But they don't. It's stressful. But the nature of the business. Do you expect any less?

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Does Sather even negotiate with RFA's during the season? He always qualifies them and then signs them in the off season. Has he ever signed someone sooner?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Did the Rangers trade Girardi and Callahan, yet? Ypu might be awfully disappoint in a few weeks.

Context is important, which is why posters brought up standings.

I won't be, unless they are signed to horrible deals. Girardi is worth the contract they will hopefully give him. I want them to keep Girardi, my point was that, unlike the "look at the standings" crowd Glen Sather will deal people if the right price is in place for them. A first and good prospect is exactly what people here were saying Girardi is worth, and exactly what Sather supposedly asked for. It's a deal worth making, if he can get it. IF.

The standings are the best way to judge a team.

No, they are ONE way to judge a team. They're not the ultimate guideline to roster moves.

Nobody said Glen Sather wants to trade players to see a trade. It's some posters that want that. YOU know exactly what I'm talking about. Other posters see it too. You still don't believe it. You talk in these absolutes like we don't have a gray area in between.

I honestly do not know what you are talking about. There are people here who want to see trades, want to see signings, and want to see people walk, but it is not simply for the fact of some entertainment they get from it. They all have reasons for wanting to see these moves made, and while you may not agree with them, or think they are logical, (and many of them are not, I do not dispute that at all) THAT IS NOT TO SAY, that they only want to see it happen because it's exciting. Why can't you just accept the fact that most people do not see this team the same way and sometimes think things that are ridiculous to you, are actually good ideas to them.

You bring up grey areas, but in your mind it is either the way you, and others like you, view the team, or trades for the sake of trades.

Why would he trade Girardi without a replacement? Girardi is worth his reported demands.

If the right deal is there, you trade him. He isn't easy to replace, but if Glen Sather trades him I am going to assume they have a plan (good or bad) to replace him. Yes he is worth his demands. They should sign him.

Yes, the shiny new toy syndrome is in effect. Just look at the posters who want to pay Stastny $7M a year!

While I disagree with them vehemently, the hole created at C next season with the pending Richards buyout will need to be filled. Stastny would fill a need. I understand why some people think he should be signed even though I disagree with them about it. It's not "shiny new toy." How is signing Stastny anymore "shiny new toy" than filling that same C spot with Miller, or even Lindberg who people are penciling in to the line-up? There will be a vacant top-9 C role this summer. Someone has to fill it. Stastny, unfortunately, is a candidate.

I'll ask this of you again. If on March 5th the Rangers don't have a fair offer for Callahan would you still trade him?

As someone else said, define fair offer.

It would have to be pretty bad for me to rather ride it out to the summer with him. I don't see any situation where Callahan cannot at least get either a younger roster player, good prospect, or a 1st, more likely something closer to two of those, so I doubt I would be faced with that choice realistically. If the best offer on the table is a 3rd, then yeah, I keep Callahan and hope for the best in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'm not sure how it would happen, but I would love to have Mike Green on this team to pair with McDonagh or Staal.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not sure how it would happen, but I would love to have Mike Green on this team to pair with McDonagh or Staal.
To Buffalo: Ryan Callahan
To Washington: Ryan Miller
To New York: Mike Green

It would be very dumb by Buffalo, but hey!

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012
we play the caps A LOT especially in the playoffs and Mike Green has never really impressed me at all.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
we play the caps A LOT especially in the playoffs and Mike Green has never really impressed me at all.
Neat.

But in the past 5 seasons, he has the highest goalscoring rate among defensemen on the powerplay and the third highest at even strength. I think he fills a need.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Said it before, but picking up Green would be amazing. Put him next to McD and let him attack attack attack.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
McD-Green
Staal-Girardi
Moore-Klein

:naughty: Pls reunite.

If we got Green, I'd just re-sign Stralman and move Girardi.

Question is, what are we giving up for Green? Perhaps Caps would be interested in replacing him with Girardi to add more grit to their D.

BarbaraAlphanse

Question is, what are we giving up for Green? Perhaps Caps would be interested in replacing him with Girardi to add more grit to their D.

But.... Staal and Girardi!

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
The cap is NOT going to be $80M in two years with the Canadian dollar struggling like it is right now, RB has pointed this out to you numerous times. It'll go up, but not to the degree you're saying.

prob not in 2 years but within 5yrs it will be close.. didnt CA just sign a huge TV deal?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You still need a pairing to do get the tough assignments to allow the offensive pairing to get their looks. Girardi still does that much better than Stralman.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
You still need a pairing to do get the tough assignments to allow the offensive pairing to get their looks. Girardi still does that much better than Stralman.

Well, ideally, yeah, we'd re-sign Girardi, but acquiring Green adds more salary, and I think the gap between Stralman and Girardi's cap hits is enough to make me keep Stralman instead.

I'm fine with Staal-Stralman as a shutdown pair.

BarbaraAlphanse

Yeah, that was a great paring in their heyday.

But I'd rather not think about the days of the Rangers defense without McDonagh. :laugh:

Honestly though. If we got Green... I don't know, I can't fathom just giving away Girardi.

G and S on the... 2nd mother****ing pair? My god.

BarbaraAlphanse

Green would be the perfect addition for the team... if we were hell bent on going all in on this season.

BarbaraAlphanse

Green can contribute to the team beyond this season, though. It's not as if he's a rental.

But in terms of the assets we'll have to give up for him? Prospects, picks, young players... most likely.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Green can contribute to the team beyond this season, though. It's not as if he's a rental.
Yeah, under contract through next season. 16 months to negotiate a new contract.

Well, ideally, yeah, we'd re-sign Girardi, but acquiring Green adds more salary, and I think the gap between Stralman and Girardi's cap hits is enough to make me keep Stralman instead.
Yeah, but with that top-4, you could save money by not dressing a third pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad