Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm hopeful that these measured decisions are coming from someone other than Sather, because that would mean he's handing over the reins to Gorton.

Boston is out to lunch if they think they could be in on Girardi without a 1st rounder being involved. I know a lot of fans like to say "Oh, he's a luxury we don't need." Well, when a GM finds out his conference rival is about to acquire him, that might change in a hurry.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
There's nothing to prevent Girardi from signing today. The Olympic roster freeze doesn't mean the Rangers can't re-sign a player. The Rangers have been confident or hopeful or close to signing Girardi for the last 3 weeks. The deadline is 3 weeks from tomorrow. It can't be a situation where the Rangers sit on the morning of the 5th with Girardi still wavering on signing or not. As Brooks pointed out on Saturday,players don't leave money on the table so close to free agency. The freeze ends on the 23rd at 11:59pm. So its 9-10 days until the 5th.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm hopeful that these rash decisions are coming from someone other than Sather, because that would mean he's handing over the reins to Gorton.

Boston is out to lunch if they think they could be in on Girardi without a 1st rounder being involved. I know a lot of fans like to say "Oh, he's a luxury we don't need." Well, when a GM finds out his conference rival is about to acquire him, that might change in a hurry.

Rash? You mean measured, don't you?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm hopeful that these rash decisions are coming from someone other than Sather, because that would mean he's handing over the reins to Gorton.

It's a rumor. It's possible the Rangers asked for Morrow on top of the 1st. Maybe that is what they are balking at. I doubt it's the 1st rounder.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
At least Girardi would be useful to Boston and not be a bust like Kaberle was there.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It is amusing to me, Sather is doing exactly what everyone wanted him to do mid-season. Don't overpay for these guys, and if we can't sign them, sell them, even if we're in playoff position.

It's very uncharacteristic.

Now granted I have absolutely no way to prove this. But this really has all the signs of a change in regime. Gorton calling the shots, Sather more or less a figurehead.

Edit - should have kept reading. What trxjw said.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
You would hope the Garden has their ducks in a row. They have some huge decisions coming up. The Knicks are facing Melo testing the free agent market. Will he stay? They will be on the market for another coach. If they bring in a big coach,that guy will want say in personnel. The Rangers have a 70 year GM/President and numerous contract issues facing them between now and next summer. Both teams face franchise altering decisions with key players. The Knicks can give Melo more money than another team and the Rangers face a situation where their guys will get better offers from other teams. The Knicks can give Melo an extra year to retain him. The Rangers made the decision to change the team by firing the coach. The changes can't stop there.

BarbaraAlphanse

Breaking down Sather's decisions:

1) He'll likely have 8 NHL competent defensemen ready to play by game 1 if Stralman resigns. 4 LHD and 4 RHD. McD, G, Staal, Stralman, Moore, Klein, Allen, Mcilrath. The final 2 are cheap prospects.
2) Extending/Trading Callahan before the playoff push. There's also the option that shouldn't be uttered - holding on to him as a rental and letting him go for nothing.
3) Same goes for Girardi
4) Finding a 2c. If Callahan isn't a member of this team next year he'll also have to find a 2w.
5) Whether to keep the 4th line in tact or not.
6) Is Brassard worth the 4 mill QO.
7) Resigning Staal or trading him if he's unwilling to resign.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

1) He'll likely have 8 NHL competent defensemen ready to play by game 1 if Stralman resigns. 4 LHD and 4 RHD. McD, G, Staal, Stralman, Moore, Klein, Allen, Mcilrath. The final 2 are cheap prospects.
2) Extending/Trading Callahan before the playoff push. There's also the option that shouldn't be uttered - holding on to him as a rental and letting him go for nothing.
3) Same goes for Girardi
4) Finding a 2c. If Callahan isn't a member of this team next year he'll also have to find a 2w.

Pretty much these.

I really hope he doesn't **** this up, this offseason is incredibly important.

BarbaraAlphanse

You would hope the Garden has their ducks in a row. They have some huge decisions coming up. The Knicks are facing Melo testing the free agent market. Will he stay? They will be on the market for another coach. If they bring in a big coach,that guy will want say in personnel. The Rangers have a 70 year GM/President and numerous contract issues facing them between now and next summer. Both teams face franchise altering decisions with key players. The Knicks can give Melo more money than another team and the Rangers face a situation where their guys will get better offers from other teams. The Knicks can give Melo an extra year to retain him. The Rangers made the decision to change the team by firing the coach. The changes can't stop there.

Cally does not equal Melo. But I agree with the general message you have here.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

3) Same goes for Girardi

To me, the option that shouldn't be muttered is extending him. I would rather let him walk for nothing than give him 7 million a year for the next 6-7 years.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

3) Same goes for Girardi

Resigning Brassard is a no brainer.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

3) Same goes for Girardi
Brassard's QO is $3.7 million. Players above $1M aren't due the 10% raise.

I'd love to sign him to something like a $12 million / 3 year deal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

3) Same goes for Girardi

1. I am a proponent of resigning Stralman if he isn't asking for stupid money. I have no problem with 8 NHL caliber dmen let them force the issue. The one think I might consider doing is if Stralman won't resign I might call up San Jose and swap Stralman for pure rental Dan Boyle. Boyle has been down but he can still be dangerous and if Stralman is going to walk anyway let SJ cut some salary and then you free up some money for yourself. But I would rather have signed Stralman.

2/3. Agree. Issue has been beaten to death.

4. I think if Callahan and/or Girardi is dealt he might actually keep Richards. Either way finishing a center is ridiculously hard. I don't love Stastny as a FA. He would need a similar to Richards contract and I'm not sure I would do that. I would also prefer a really fast C. At least someone more mobile than Stepan and Brassard.

5. If you are commiting to some combination of Boyle/Moore/Dorsett/Carcillo, you are sacrificing a ton of offense. I would keep Moore because he will be cheap and look to trade Boyle and either Carcillo or Dorsett for picks, particularly Dorsett (who probably has more value somehow) if Carcillo will resign for less than Dorsett is due.

6. Brassard is worth about 4, but he isn't worth more. Would not pay him more than, for example, Bryan Little for any reason.

7. Staal really becomes the elephant in the room. But I think this gets tabled until next season because there is too much going on. I think Staal would resign, but this is where you need to be careful with the Girardi contract. If you give Girardi a random, when Staal asks for more it could get ugly.

Punxrocknyc19*

To me, the option that shouldn't be muttered is extending him. I would rather let him walk for nothing than give him 7 million a year for the next 6-7 years.

id rather trade his rights even its for an extra pick or two than let him walk... if he is not in the future plans because of the contract he wants, trade him.. its not like trading Callahan will hurt the Rangers chances of making the playoffs... letting him go for nothing in return can hurt this organization more than help

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
brassard has been very very good for a while now. he may not always get on the stat sheet, but i see him positively impacting almost every game.

his line has really been our top line.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
What if they traded Callahan for a 1st and say two prospects that were sort of like a Fast is to us (which I am sure is different for everyone so something like 2 prospects who projected to maybe be middle 6 wings)

Then they turned around and trade one of those prospects, or say a 2nd round pick or something equivalent for Stempniak, mostly because he plays right wing and he can pk. His production is not all that steep of a drop off from Callahan but the intangibles are.

They down grade for this year, but not from Callahan to nothing, but they add a good amount of futures, a 1st and one or two prospects in the process.

Not that I am asking for exactly that or anything but something to that effect where they do not totally lose out on what Callahan brings for this year, but they also do not lose him for nothing or sign him to his demands, and the teams future position gets stronger to the point where maybe one of those prospects added to what the Rangers already have, may some day replace what Callahan brought at least in terms of production.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
brassard has been very very good for a while now. he may not always get on the stat sheet, but i see him positively impacting almost every game.

his line has really been our top line.

They have been lights out since the Jersey outdoor game. Which is convenient because the Stepan line has been nonexistent since that game. That line was red-hot the previous 5 games when Nash was scoring at will.

In the Torts era if the top line went cold nobody was ever there to pick up the slack. It's so nice to have scoring depth. I attribute it mostly to Vigneault's system, since Torts basically had access to all the same players.

SupersonicMonkey*

There's nothing to prevent Girardi from signing today. The Olympic roster freeze doesn't mean the Rangers can't re-sign a player. The Rangers have been confident or hopeful or close to signing Girardi for the last 3 weeks. The deadline is 3 weeks from tomorrow. It can't be a situation where the Rangers sit on the morning of the 5th with Girardi still wavering on signing or not. As Brooks pointed out on Saturday,players don't leave money on the table so close to free agency. The freeze ends on the 23rd at 11:59pm. So its 9-10 days until the 5th.

Another thing to consider is Staal one year from now, will be in the same situation. Do the Rangers commit long term to a player with a history of head injuries?

In any Girardi trade I'd like a young offensive defenseman as part of the return. Barrie, Krug, Clendening, Vatanen...

I agree with you about not moving McIlrath. We are going to need him. I feel McIlrath has a future. And I'm higher on Skjei than McIlrath. In other words, I feel Skjei is going to be an outstanding player.

I don't recall who it was, but Trix? Sting? I can't remember who, mentioned a return for Callahan being Stewart and Schmaltz. Schmaltz would be a fantastic prospect to add to our defense system.

Adding those young defensemen will eventually make the loss of Girardi, and possibly Staal and Stralman easier for the team to take.

I personally wouldn't be as adamant about getting a first round pick as part of the package for Girardi, if that means I can land more young pieces that can contribute now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad