Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
We need an upgrade at C in the worst way.

We're getting a downgrade unless we sign Stastny (I'm not pre-ordering the jersey but I'd understand it), we stick with the Richards contract (eesh), Miller really blossoms or there's some more Glen Sather Trade Voodoo, possibly not like anything we've seen before. It's our position of weakness and I don't think there's anything all that exciting out there.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Well....possibly Phoenix is getting ready to pony up as they called up Gormley today from the AHL . Maybe he is being showcased for somebody ? What do the Yotes need ???

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Well....possibly Phoenix is getting ready to pony up as they called up Gormley today from the AHL . Maybe he is being showcased for somebody ? What do the Yotes need ???
I believe they are after a scoring winger.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
The problem is as the cap goes up, so will the contracts. Even mediocre guys are going to get paid well (see Clarkson) moving forward, especially as the cap continues to rise.

and Stastny overpaid or not would be a clear upgrade.

A clear upgrade over whom? Stepan and Richards? I'd say that would be a wash if we go by his play since 2010/11. Even Brassard is just ~10 points per season worse than him (although of course Stastny is better defensively).

I really don't think he'd be worth it. And the problem wouldn't even be paying him 7.5 million, it's paying him 7.5 million for seven years. We'd really just replace one decent center on a huge contract with another.

For that money we could nearly get Vanek or what will he command?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
A clear upgrade over whom? Stepan and Richards? I'd say that would be a wash if we go by his play since 2010/11. Even Brassard is just ~10 points per season worse than him (although of course Stastny is better defensively).

I really don't think he'd be worth it. And the problem wouldn't even be paying him 7.5 million, it's paying him 7.5 million for seven years. We'd really just replace one decent center on a huge contract with another.

For that money we could nearly get Vanek or what will he command?

Stastny is better defensively than Richards.

Stastny is a better face off man than Richards.

Stastny is faster than Richards.

And won't be 34 for six and a half years.

The odds of continued 55-60+ points lie solely with Stastny.

Stastny is a CLEAR up grade to Richards. And at 7.5 per he would carry the same financial footprint as Richards.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Stastny is better defensively than Richards.

Stastny is a better face off man than Richards.

Stastny is faster than Richards.

And won't be 34 for six and a half years.

The odds of continued 55-60+ points lie solely with Stastny.

Stastny is a CLEAR up grade to Richards. And at 7.5 per he would carry the same financial footprint as Richards.

Better defensively yes, and going forward he will definitely be better than an aging Richards. But I don't believe he will be a significant upgrade over this year's or 2011/12 Richards, so it really would be a lateral move and basically the same price (adjusted for cap increase). Like you say 55-60 points for a premium price.

It would be OK for a couple of years, but seven years with no out? I'd rather pass.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Better defensively yes, and going forward he will definitely be better than an aging Richards. But I don't believe he will be a significant upgrade over this year's or 2011/12 Richards, so it really would be a lateral move and basically the same price (adjusted for cap increase). Like you say 55-60 points for a premium price.

It would be OK for a couple of years, but seven years with no out? I'd rather pass.

Richards is 34. The odds of us seeing that Richards again gets lower each year as he gets older. With Stastny it is the complete opposite.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
We didn't sign Richie to a 9 year 6.7M per year contract (actual dollars are kind of irrelevant for this team) for him to be a 60 point center. We expected him to be at his PPG pace he was putting up in Dallas.

Justifying to sign Stastny to a terrible contract because he's mildly better than another terrible contract (Richards) and will only cost mildly more is absolutely awful logic.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I guess its just impossible to go into a season without spending right up to the cap around here :laugh:

If Miller is going to be our 3c next year, which I think is the perfect place to wean him in from we need to upgrade one of the wings to give him some talent to work with, if hes gona be relied on to carry the offense, or feel he needs to from that position, hes going to play like he is now in Hartford and do too much, which will lead to mistakes.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers and Girardi were supposed to discuss his lack of a contract this week. The Rangers are back on the ice tomorrow at 2pm or 3pm. The two sides took a break last week.

Ryan Callahan is indefatigable with a work ethic that sets the bar for his teammates because that’s who he always has been. His union with St. Louis center David Backes throughout the tournament has been natural and imposing enough to provoke much thought inside Blues management of offering more than Chris Stewart for the ability to acquire the Blueshirts captain as at least a rental for the remainder of the NHL season.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/19/us-looks-like-tournaments-best-team-top-to-bottom/

The Blues have Backes on a 5 year deal worth $4.5M per. Two more years remaining. They aren't giving Callahan nearly $7M per for 7 years.

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
I guess its just impossible to go into a season without spending right up to the cap around here :laugh:

If Miller is going to be our 3c next year, which I think is the perfect place to wean him in from we need to upgrade one of the wings to give him some talent to work with, if hes gona be relied on to carry the offense, or feel he needs to from that position, hes going to play like he is now in Hartford and do too much, which will lead to mistakes.

If Callahan is traded/walks, I am intrigued by the idea of bringing back Jagr to be the catalyst on a second/third line on a one year deal and giving Miller/Lindberg a chance at the 3c spot rather than going after a UFA on a long term deal. I am not sure that Jagr would be interested in such a role, but if we're competing now, I'd prefer him over a long term investment. Lets us run something along the lines of:

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Pouliot/UFA/trade - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - Jagr
Carcillo/UFA/trade - Moore/Boyle/UFA/trade - Dorsett

I seriously doubt he makes it to UFA during the summer of 2015, but it would be great to have space to offer Toews boatloads of Dolan's money if he does.

sfox7076

Oct 3, 2011
Yep. Sign Jagr and bring in Nedved to upgrade the 3C position. Also, call the makers of Geritol to get a good deal as they will need it.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
The Rangers and Girardi were supposed to discuss his lack of a contract this week. The Rangers are back on the ice tomorrow at 2pm or 3pm. The two sides took a break last week.

The Blues have Backes on a 5 year deal worth $4.5M per. Two more years remaining. They aren't giving Callahan nearly $7M per for 7 years.

If they are willing to give Stewart+ for Callahan, that seems like fair deal to me. Are there any other rumblings of other teams wanting to make a deal regarding Callahan? Waiting this out would just lower the trade value we'd get for him.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Well ****, guys, if we're going to bring back beloved old Rangers wingers, let's go get Alex Kovalev. He's an UFA so he wouldn't cost anything and according to Joe he looks like he could lace 'em back up and play tomorrow.

No making trades for rentals, no making trades for over the hill players and ESPECIALLY no making trades based primarily on nostalgia for former players, please.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Well ****, guys, if we're going to bring back beloved old Rangers wingers, let's go get Alex Kovalev. He's an UFA so he wouldn't cost anything and according to Joe he looks like he could lace 'em back up and play tomorrow.

No making trades for rentals, no making trades for over the hill players and ESPECIALLY no making trades based primarily on nostalgia for former players, please.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'll make a vcash bet with anyone on here that Callahan will be a Ranger past the trade deadline.

That's how confident I am that he won't be traded unless we get a gross overpayment.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Ryan Callahan is indefatigable with a work ethic that sets the bar for his teammates because that’s who he always has been. His union with St. Louis center David Backes throughout the tournament has been natural and imposing enough to provoke much thought inside Blues management of offering more than Chris Stewart for the ability to acquire the Blueshirts captain as at least a rental for the remainder of the NHL season.

While I would like Brooksie's quote to be true - and it may well be - it's phrased such that I don't have a lot of confidence that he's referring to any substantive information he's obtained.

If you read the sentence carefully, it's actually a description of Callahan's play, not a statement describing conversations taking place inside Blues' management.

BarbaraAlphanse

While I would like Brooksie's quote to be true - and it may well be - it's phrased such that I don't have a lot of confidence that he's referring to any substantive information he's obtained.

If you read the sentence carefully, it's actually a description of Callahan's play, not a statement describing conversations taking place inside Blues' management.

Usually, when the media beats a certain trade proposal to death and the player gets dealt to the team that's being speculated... the package doesn't usually include the guy who's originally brought up.

That gives me solace.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I know I'm going to get blasted for this proposal because Callahan's a rental and all but fine, if the Blues want Cally, you know what? Ask for Stewart, Jaskin, and a first? Include Dorsett also.

It's a lot but if STL is serious about making a run, they have assets to overpay and their core is locked up longterm. They want the Cup THAT badly, force their hand. Worst that happens is they say no.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I know I'm going to get blasted for this proposal because Callahan's a rental and all but fine, if the Blues want Cally, you know what? Ask for Stewart, Jaskin, and a first? Include Dorsett also.

It's a lot but if STL is serious about making a run, they have assets to overpay and their core is locked up longterm. They want the Cup THAT badly, force their hand. Worst that happens is they say no.

If we do deal Callahan, I hope we can get a ransom as you suggest - but I would imagine some portion of any offer would be contingent upon playoff success and/or re-signing.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

You can ask for whatever you want, but I'd be blown away if the Rangers pulled that kind of haul from the Blues. One reason for Stewart being on the block is so they can clear space for Jaskin next season. They're a budget team and moving $4.1M off the books opens up room to bring in a viable scoring center, which is their biggest need outside of stable goaltending.

Stewart, one of Schmaltz or Vanelli, and Edmonton's 2nd round pick with the condition it becomes a first if the Blues make the SCF, or becomes the Blues 1st and adds a 2nd next year if they re-sign Callahan.

Last edited:

RonGreschner

Apr 9, 2007
You can ask for whatever you want, but I'd be blown away if the Rangers pulled that kind of haul from the Blues. One reason for Stewart being on the block is so they can clear space for Jaskin next season. They're a budget team and moving $4.1M off the books opens up room to bring in a viable scoring center, which is their biggest need outside of stable goaltending.

Stewart, one of Schwartz or Vanelli, and Edmonton's 2nd round pick with the condition it becomes a first if the Blues make the SCF, or becomes the Blues 1st and adds a 2nd next year if they re-sign Callahan.

Your not getting Schwartz or Vannelli plus Stewart for a rental of Cally. If Sather did then he would arrested for robbery once he steps into St Louis.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Your not getting Schwartz or Vannelli plus Stewart for a rental of Cally. If Sather did then he would arrested for robbery once he steps into St Louis.

I meant Schmaltz. St Louis is loaded on the right side with quality, young defenders. They'd be dealing from a position of depth. Both are B-level prospects who have some major holes to fix before they ever see NHL ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad