Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'd give Boyle anywhere from 2 to 2.5 mill per. 3 is a bit of a reach.

Something like 3/7.5

At first I expected 2.2/3yrs.

After looking at more comparable players i'm expecting 2.5/4yrs and i'm actually totally fine with that too.

10 mill for 4 years.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
If paying a guy like Boyle or Moore and extra 500k or so is the difference between keeping our bottom 6 in tact as opposed to keeping the trend of bottom 6 turnover going like we have for years count me in. The money will be there if we don't go blow it all on everyone's pipe dream Stastny.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There will be changes next year, there always are. Only one of Boyle or D. Moore needs to be back. Carcillo and Pouliot, if they both continue, they deserve to come back for modest raises. I'd try and trade Dorsett at the deadline. Similar to Niemanen in 2006.

Miller, Fast, and Lindberg will all be pushing for spots. Duclair is a wildcard although most likely not.

Let's sat for argument sake that Richards, Callahan, and one of Boyle or D. Moore are not retained. That's three spots. One would go to UFA, two to rookies to start the year. Carcillo can always be an extra.

Would overpaying Dan Boyle for two years make sense?

I'd say Moulson but his skating does not fit AV's system.

Rather than go for the big names, make a trade...look for value, and if the Rangers have to take back a bad contract like Havlat for a year, not the worst thing in the world.

The scoring isn't consistent at all this year, so if the top six are the Stepan and Brassard line, and Hagelin is playing with Miller and Fast, not the end of the world.

If that's the case, maybe the best bet is to go after Dan Boyle in the offseason and overpay him for two years.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
There will be changes next year, there always are. Only one of Boyle or D. Moore needs to be back. Carcillo and Pouliot, if they both continue, they deserve to come back for modest raises. I'd try and trade Dorsett at the deadline. Similar to Niemanen in 2006.

Miller, Fast, and Lindberg will all be pushing for spots. Duclair is a wildcard although most likely not.

Let's sat for argument sake that Richards, Callahan, and one of Boyle or D. Moore are not retained. That's three spots. One would go to UFA, two to rookies to start the year. Carcillo can always be an extra.

Would overpaying Dan Boyle for two years make sense?

I'd say Moulson but his skating does not fit AV's system.

Rather than go for the big names, make a trade...look for value, and if the Rangers have to take back a bad contract like Havlat for a year, not the worst thing in the world.

The scoring isn't consistent at all this year, so if the top six are the Stepan and Brassard line, and Hagelin is playing with Miller and Fast, not the end of the world.

If that's the case, maybe the best bet is to go after Dan Boyle in the offseason and overpay him for two years.

Dan Boyle is a ****ing defenseman.... why on earth would anyone with our D corps (assuming they are re-signed) sign someone who is at the tail end of their career?

And again, you cannot afford to PENCIL a rookie into a roster spot. it doesn't work. Did ANYONE watch what happened with Kreider last year?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Dan Boyle is a ****ing defenseman.... why on earth would anyone with our D corps (assuming they are re-signed) sign someone who is at the tail end of their career?

And again, you cannot afford to PENCIL a rookie into a roster spot. it doesn't work. Did ANYONE watch what happened with Kreider last year?

I'm throwing out ideas. And until Girardi and Stralman are signed, sealed, and delivered, the D corp is not going to be 100% the same.

Also, if Richards is gone, somebody gotta be on the PP.

I'd rather overpay someone for two years then give Stasny the same silly contract as Richards for seven or eight years, or pay Ott like $5 million with a five year deal.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
yea let's resign him so Lindberg can spend another year in the AHL :help: Lindberg should be called up just in case Boyle walks. remember as a first time UFA, he might take advantage of that. players like him dont play long.. how many 4th line forwards that play past the age of 33 (likely a 5 year deal as an UFA)... not many...

Why should we throw Lindberg in? Just because? All reports say he's developing well, but isn't ready for the NHL. Why get rid of roster players because we have prospects building up? Who's to say Lindberg won't be a worse player for the first few years of his career than Boyle is at the same time?

I know everyone here is obsessed with prospects but the goal is to build a winning team. Not every prospect we have is going to make it (not saying Lindberg won't). Actually a large majority of prospects don't become NHL regulars. Why not re-sign Boyle and make the prospects such as Lindberg, force our GM's hand and play their way onto the team? Then you have a signed roster player who will definitely be worth assets in a trade when he's under contract.

I'm also of the belief that players such as Boyle are more important than most on here think. Glue guys, veterans who are great in the room and do anything to win. Sorry, but I think the only reason to get rid of Boyle (let him walk) is if he prices himself out. Otherwise re-sign him 2.3x3 or 2.1x4.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm throwing out ideas. And until Girardi and Stralman are signed, sealed, and delivered, the D corp is not going to be 100% the same.

Also, if Richards is gone, somebody gotta be on the PP.

I'd rather overpay someone for two years then give Stasny the same silly contract as Richards for seven or eight years, or pay Ott like $5 million with a five year deal.

so you're comparing overpaying an old, aging defenseman to a usable, 28 year old 1st line centerman? And you want to overpay the aging defenseman?

You don't overpay an aging UFA who wants to make his last and final pay day to simply "run the powerplay"... you sign a centerman who can do BOTH... which Stastny can do (and I don't even want Stastny, I think Richards is staying personally).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm sure Boyle would like a 5 year deal. But why would a team give it to him?

Use my formula. Get a grip of what everyone think he will get. Then add a year and a bunch of millions to it. 5 years and 17.5m for Boyle? ;)

Seriously though, I have no clue what Boyle will get but all it takes is ONE team that is small, can get nobody else, and that sees him as a 3rd line center and his price tag is all of a sudden very high for anyone that view him as a 4th lineer.

I couldn't agree more about the value if keeping out bottom 2 lines intact for once. But. What is worth more keeping Boyle at 2m more than the option or adding that 2m to a top 2 line winger? It just seems like those 2m up front in the lineup could make a heck of a diffeence. Could be the difference between resigning a kid for 1-2 years and 4-5 years.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Its much better to have Lindberg develop on our 4th line when we hope he tops out as a top 6 player and bottoms out as a top 9 forward....than to have Boyle who actually fits the role of a 4th liner and reduced minutes even strength. Quality development there. Reminds me of how we attempted to develop Maholtra and Lundmark.

Boyle should be re-signed and the logic around the distaste for him is asinine.

Not saying that it couldn't backfire, but Marcus Krüger has been developing fine on Chicago's 4th line.

And Krüger was a small, smart, playmaking 1C in Sweden - i.e. a much "worse" fit for a 4th liner than Lindberg.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Why should we throw Lindberg in? Just because? All reports say he's developing well, but isn't ready for the NHL. Why get rid of roster players because we have prospects building up? Who's to say Lindberg won't be a worse player for the first few years of his career than Boyle is at the same time?

I know everyone here is obsessed with prospects but the goal is to build a winning team. Not every prospect we have is going to make it (not saying Lindberg won't). Actually a large majority of prospects don't become NHL regulars. Why not re-sign Boyle and make the prospects such as Lindberg, force our GM's hand and play their way onto the team? Then you have a signed roster player who will definitely be worth assets in a trade when he's under contract.

I'm also of the belief that players such as Boyle are more important than most on here think. Glue guys, veterans who are great in the room and do anything to win. Sorry, but I think the only reason to get rid of Boyle (let him walk) is if he prices himself out. Otherwise re-sign him 2.3x3 or 2.1x4.

Teams will be lining up to take a 4th line center signed to that contract off of Sather's hands or whoever is running the Rangers next season.

Punxrocknyc19*

Not saying that it couldn't backfire, but Marcus Krüger has been developing fine on Chicago's 4th line.

And Krüger was a small, smart, playmaking 1C in Sweden - i.e. a much "worse" fit for a 4th liner than Lindberg.

and they also have a kid by the name of Joakim Nordstrom in the future as well. Hawks have good depth...

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If it comes down to a cap crunch and the choices are keep Boyle over any of Stralman, Brassard, Zucc, maybe even Pouliot, I'm voting the later players get the contracts. I'd rather they signed D Moore short term and probably cheaper than Boyle.

Keep the top 9F thing going, Keep the top 6 D as strong as possible, worry about the 4th line later.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If it comes down to a cap crunch and the choices are keep Boyle over any of Stralman, Brassard, Zucc, maybe even Pouliot, I'm voting the later players get the contracts. I'd rather they signed D Moore short term and probably cheaper than Boyle.

Keep the top 9F thing going, Keep the top 6 D as strong as possible, worry about the 4th line later.

The way I look at it you shouldn't pay a 4th liner 2 million and that is what Boyle will get as a UFA.

There will be changes but on paper if they do what I think they are going to do
C- Stepan, Brassard,Miller, resign Moore
RW- Nash, Zuccarello, trade for Cally, Dorsett, resign Carcillo
LW- Kreider, Hagelin, Fast, re sign Pouliott

If they want Moore, Pouliott, Carcillo back I believe they would all sign

The question is do they sign Stastny and if they strike out well then Miller is 3rd line C

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

I wouldn't overpay Stralman. But I agree if it comes down to a cap crunch, I would choose Brass and Zucc over Boyle. What do you think Pouliot will want?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The way I look at it you shouldn't pay a 4th liner 2 million and that is what Boyle will get as a UFA.

There will be changes but on paper if they do what I think they are going to do
C- Stepan, Brassard,Miller, resign Moore
RW- Nash, Zuccarello, trade for Cally, Dorsett, resign Carcillo
LW- Kreider, Hagelin, Fast, re sign Pouliott

If they want Moore, Pouliott, Carcillo back I believe they would all sign

The question is do they sign Stastny and if they strike out well then Miller is 3rd line C
Stastny I think he stays with Colorado but if he makes it to UFA I'd guess ~7.5M for like 6-7 years. That is a good chunk of money. But if he were willing to sign with the the Rangers, it were buyout Richards and sign him, I think that would have to be considered.

I also think that becomes a non option because I think they resign both Girardi and Callahan, just a guess really but I do not think they will be able to get what they'd want on the trade market.

I wouldn't overpay Stralman. But I agree if it comes down to a cap crunch, I would choose Brass and Zucc over Boyle. What do you think Pouliot will want?

I would not overpay Stralman, but he is far more important to the teams win/loss record than Boyle is. Anything resembling a top 4 RD is important. The idea that McIlrath is going to come up is great and all but too optimistic for me.

Pouliot, I have no idea, I think it will come down to how he plays out the rest of the year and if other teams become interested, and if he wants to stay a Ranger. It's a gamble, did he really find a home finally here, is he the first part of the season player or the one we have seen recently. Would he be willing to sign for less to get a multi year deal, is that a good idea, I am not sure on any of those answers.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
$7.5 million for Stastny? Were gona take the hard, correct, stance with callahan and then blow our load and overpay for Stastny? Ugh.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
$7.5 million for Stastny? Were gona take the hard, correct, stance with callahan and then blow our load and overpay for Stastny? Ugh.

I doubt it, I think he stay where he is, I think Callahan, Girardi do too. I think they both get what they pretty much want.

The question I think will become do they buyout Richards, if so are they going with Stepan/Brassard/Miller or do they use that space for a UFA center.

Not exactly what I am looking for, but I just don't see them saving spots for rookies, or saving cap space, or trading players for futures this season given where they are in the standings.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I could very easily make an argument that Stastny's style of play will age MUCH more gracefully than Callahan's. Stastny plays center, is good at face-offs, is also a good defensive forward.

I'm not advocating signing him, but if I were a team of another team and I had an option of 6.5 million for Callahan or 7.5 million for Stastny both over 7 years, I go Stastny.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
heh...all the ppl who said dont worry about it...i'm not worried about it.

yeah, you should have worried. i was worried for sure..you dont miss an olympic game with a bruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad