Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXVIII: All the #1C's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Everyone is assuming all the GMs in the NHL were aware Pirri was made available.

Punxrocknyc19*

if the Rangers are in that much of help of a center, just sign Henrik's brother Joel Lundqvist :sarcasm:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
It was a pretty well-known fact.

Well then why was the best offer a 2nd and a 5th? So, it was either that most of the GMs didn't know enough to make an offer, or that Pirri just wasn't as valuable as everyone suspected he be.

Either way it's silly for anyone to get upset over Sather not making a move.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Apparently Pirri asked out as he wasn't able to get much of a chance in Chicago's lineup. Their only opening really is 2C and he has the skill but isn't ready to just jump right in and assume that role and also doesn't have the two way game coach Q likes from his centermen. Price is still surprisingly low, though the CHI/FLA connection makes it less surprising. I'm just surprised they didn't try to make it Pirri + 2nd/3rd for Matthias/Goc instead, to get ready for another cup run.

As for the whole Callahan thing, just look at our games. He's not the Callahan of years past. He has much less impact on games. He doesn't have as much jump, as much hustle and desperation, and certainly not nearly the offensive touch. He also doesn't finish his checks with as much zeal. He just looks a bit older and he's simply not an important part of this team anymore, IMO. So regardless of whether 6x6 would be "fair" value for him, I don't want to pay a guy who just isn't that important anymore that kind of money. His role and impact will only continue to diminish. It just doesn't make sense. Giving him that contract, to me, would be all about appeasing the casual fan who thinks Cally is a star and would be outraged about trading the captain. It certainly doesn't consider the future and what's actually best for our success going forward.

In contrast, guys like G, Lundqvist and even Stepan are simply much more important parts of this team. Callahan is a 2/3 wing who, though he may still have 4-5 years left at his CURRENT level of play, already isn't playing at the same level he was a couple years earlier when he earned all of his adoring fans. We have to be focused on his future contributions, not the player he was 2-3 years ago. We really just can't give him this contract.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'd like to point out that a proper $6-7MM winger with the chances Callahan has had over the last two games would have had 3-4 goals (and that's with 10 minutes still to go in the second game).

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
I just dont see how this team resigns Cally and finds ways to improve in the next 6-7 years. Trade him for a High level prospect + draft pick and let Miller take his place.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It seems Asham has been a healthy scratch the last few games in Hartford according to Twitter. I am sure he isn't thrilled to be playing in the AHL. I wonder if there is a mandate to try and keep him healthy so that they can deal him to get another chance somewhere. Veteran with lots of playoff experience. Maybe the Rangers eat some salary to get him a shot?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
at this point i hope callahan isnt back, even if he reduced his demands. hes just not a good enough player for this team to win going forward.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It seems Asham has been a healthy scratch the last few games in Hartford according to Twitter. I am sure he isn't thrilled to be playing in the AHL. I wonder if there is a mandate to try and keep him healthy so that they can deal him to get another chance somewhere. Veteran with lots of playoff experience. Maybe the Rangers eat some salary to get him a shot?

He played in this weekend's games.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I think I just heard Callahan's agent drop everything and run to grab his pen. Sather offered 6 million per for 6 years? Callahan's agent must be laughing hysterically and doing a jig.

Last edited:

Zeshy25

Oct 3, 2005
Maybe it's just the frustration of the two games this weekend but I think Rangers need to be sellers at the deadline. They may be in the top 4 in the East but they are not realistic contenders for the cup. No center depth. No dynamic players besides Zucc and Nash.

Say we make it into the playoffs as 2-3 seed in the Metro and win the first round and have to play the Pens in the second round. We aren't built to best them of the bruins.
Richards knows he's getting bought out. Callahan, Brassard, Pouliot, Boyle are all free agents that can be traded for draft picks and set the Rangers up for the future.

Torts identified a core of Girardi, Boyle, Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Del Zotto and built around them.
AV needs to figure out his core for his system and build around them. Get a prospect/2nd round pick and roster player for Callahan. Get draft picks for the other guys and build for the future. I can't see Glen signing all our free agents by the end of the season and I can't imagine a team going all the way with so many lame duck players.

goobcat

Feb 23, 2014
get rid of this guy he cant do anything , he should b a grinder on 4th line

Traderalways

Oct 27, 2011
Thank god the knicks are finished... MSG needs and has to have home playoff dates... I expect slats to make Huge trade... Whether we like it or not is another story!!! LOL

mti79

May 11, 2007

There is a rule about how many "veterans" can dress each game. I think he's been the victim of the numbers game. Sucks for him as I think he still has value, not much, but some.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Hopefully the Rangers reminded Slats tonight just how far they are from cup worthy and how much he should not be paying Callahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad