Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XXI Stayin in the Laine

Trade Domi for Laine straight up - do you do it? Assume contract agreement with Laine is in-place

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I still have hope something could be worked on for Laine, but everything will have to fall in place, including a strong start for Drouin, for that reason, I would play him with Domi and Suzuki and hope for the best...

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
He's a radio guy on TSN 690, he doesn't have a reputation as a guy with sources on trades/signings etc.

The Canadiens are pretty tight lipped, unless someone like LeBrun or McKenzie says something I wouldn't put much stock into it.
Yes thanks same goes for the Avs their very tight lipped as well. It will be interesting to see going forward.

My dad is a Habs fan so growing up I became a Nords fan haha and subsequently an Avs fan. I'd like to see if Drouin could really bust out on the Avs and maybe get rejuvenated with MacKinnon but maybe that's a dream.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Samorukov is a 20 year old who was good, but not great at the Junior level. That's a decent prospect. He's not a blue chip prospect or anything though.

How exactly has Puljujarvi turned a corner? And how can we expect him to get the ice-time he wants if the coaching staff is already working

Puljujarvi is a project because he's done nothing at the NHL level. Drouin is a porject because he's only a one-way middle-6 winger and PP guy in the NHL. That is not the same thing.
He was arguably the best Dman in the O last year. He certainly was in the playoffs. Suzuki was no doubt the MVP but Sammy deserves an honorable mention. A lot of people think he's better than Bouchard. I was super impressed everytime I watched anyways and he fits our needs.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-prospect-update-dmitri-samorukov/

If you were making a deal with the oil, what would you propose for Drouin out of curiosity?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not saying you're wrong but I can't tell what kind of professional expertise he might need just from the outside looking in. I think there are qualified individuals who have more than likely looked at all angles already. Could run the gamut. If the same irritants are present going into a third season with the Habs, then it may not be a matter of professional help.

He's said in interviews (connected to MacKinnon's use of one) that it's not really for him. I know with that kind of stuff that you need actually be open to it and find someone you click with. It could not be a matter of professional help, but I doubt that avenue has been exhausted.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Avs fan here and always like the fact we are interested in Drouin. Pardon the ignorance but who is Gallo and how reputable is he?

Low grade man-child with no record of insider knowledge, nor having broken any stories of significance, who lucked out a gig on an afternoon sports show and whose calling card is peddling pillows and their discount promo codes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's said in interviews (connected to MacKinnon's use of one) that it's not really for him. I know with that kind of stuff that you need actually be open to it and find someone you click with. It could not be a matter of professional help, but I doubt that avenue has been exhausted.

Who really knows. I'm going to leave that part to the insiders, I don't feel comfortable speculating about that stuff.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
He was arguably the best Dman in the O last year. He certainly was in the playoffs. Suzuki was no doubt the MVP but Sammy deserves an honorable mention. A lot of people think he's better than Bouchard. I was super impressed everytime I watched anyways and he fits our needs.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-prospect-update-dmitri-samorukov/

If you were making a deal with the oil, what would you propose for Drouin out of curiosity?

I don't know, I think that's not a useful way of looking at trades. I'd look at what I'd want for Drouin that's reasonable first (which is either: a similarly aged PMD or scoring winger that has shown something in the NHL, but hasn't been utilized properly on their team or a pure futures-has good underlying numbers) and then see what teams offer up. I'd probably look at something like Samorukov and a lightly protected 1st from Edmonton (with more in the pure futures department if they have to take on a Gagner). If they have to take on Neal, I'd want Bouchard+.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't know, I think that's not a useful way of looking at trades. I'd look at what I'd want for Drouin that's reasonable first (which is either: a similarly aged PMD or scoring winger that has shown something in the NHL, but hasn't been utilized properly on their team or a pure futures-has good underlying numbers) and then see what teams offer up. I'd probably look at something like Samorukov and a lightly protected 1st from Edmonton (with more in the pure futures department if they have to take on a Gagner). If they have to take on Neal, I'd want Bouchard+.
That could possibly work. I thought Neal was on a shorter contract but I would avoid that. Gagne would be a better cap dump.

I'm just focusing on Edmonton because it's a good fit and it's being talked about right now.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
That could possibly work. I thought Neal was on a shorter contract but I would avoid that. Gagne would be a better cap dump.

I'm just focusing on Edmonton because it's a good fit and it's being talked about right now.

Is it seriously being talked about or is it just speculation?

Reactions: habsfan891

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Is it seriously being talked about or is it just speculation?
Speculation of course. What's confirmed is that Drouin is on the block and he sat when the oilers head scout ( I think) was at the game which prompted speculation. Just thought it was a fun scenario and one that actually makes sense. Makes a lot more sense than Laine anyways

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Speculation of course. What's confirmed is that Drouin is on the block and he sat when the oilers head scout ( I think) was at the game which prompted speculation. Just thought it was a fun scenario and one that actually makes sense. Makes a lot more sense than Laine anyways

I mean, what's actually confirmed is that Drouin's name has been heard put there and there is a belief Montreal is looking to move a forward, not that he's on the block.

Scouts travel pretty frequently and it isn't worth much to read into that. There are also 28 other teams in the league besides Montreal, Winnipeg and Edmonton. Edmonton obviously has need of wingers, but they also have no cap space and not a lot of trade assets.

Reactions: DangerDave

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm not sure Edmonton would be willing to part with a significant enough defensive piece or prospect to make MB pull the trigger Samukorov isn't enough and I doubt bouchard or Broberg are on the table.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I agree about Laine, don't even think MB would be willing to cough up the pieces it would take. He may also be very attached to his best prospects so it may not be a fit ultimately.

Just the idea that Drouin is being marketed is at least a recognition that they've determined that he's not a fit and waiting longer is not going to get better. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm not sure Edmonton would be willing to part with a significant enough defensive piece or prospect to make MB pull the trigger Samukorov isn't enough and I doubt bouchard or Broberg are on the table.
It's hard to really tell what would be fair. An Oilers fans proposed Sammy, Jones, Manning, Gagne, 2nd (2020) and 3rd (2021) for Drouin and Weise. Idk how you guys feel about that or if it's fair. Jones seems interesting. Doesn't look to crazy to me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree about Laine, don't even think MB would be willing to cough up the pieces it would take. He may also be very attached to his best prospects so it may not be a fit ultimately.

Just the idea that Drouin is being marketed is at least a recognition that they've determined that he's not a fit and waiting longer is not going to get better. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

If Drouin can't be the guy we need him to be which appears to be tracking that way... They are most certainly going to go down the Galchenyuk wait and see road while they also engage in what return we can get in a trade. Might happen in the short span, might happen in Oct-Dec, might happen at the deadline, or at the draft. I don't believe Bergevin is going to trade him for anything just to move him now.

I think we need him on our PP and it gets worse without him (believe it or not). Habs will keep moving him around in the line-up to find the best fit and we will see how he starts the season. Things can stay the same or change. We don't know

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Avs fan here and always like the fact we are interested in Drouin. Pardon the ignorance but who is Gallo and how reputable is he?

He's a radio personality on the local TSN station. He also is around the team as he also does post-game scrums and is around people who may have more info on these matters.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's hard to really tell what would be fair. An Oilers fans proposed Sammy, Jones, Manning, Gagne, 2nd (2020) and 3rd (2021) for Drouin and Weise. Idk how you guys feel about that or if it's fair. Jones seems interesting. Doesn't look to crazy to me.
My only problem with that is we are taking 2 cap dumps larger than Weise and getting almost nothing in return if I have to take both Manning and Gagne either Bouchard or Broberg better be part of the deal instead of Samukorov

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

I love our prospects, but none are 6’4 and pure sniper (maybe Caulfield will be a sniper st the nhl level) Laine is only 21 too. It really depends what the cost will be. Drouin, a high prospect and a 1st? I don’t know.
Plus, the Fin presence in Montreal could help.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
He's a radio personality on the local TSN station. He also is around the team as he also does post-game scrums and is around people who may have more info on these matters.
Right on thx, going to put 690 on more often instead of listening to 1050 haha

Edit: Also what are the best times of day or programs and whatnot on 690 ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Habs don't need depth or grade B prospects. If Drouin is traded, it's for a need we have today and more likely a 1/1 trade or something like Petry and Drouin for Laine or Drouin and a 1st.

No doubt there will be other GM's wanting to capitalize on Drouin struggling with us cause he does have a lot of skill, is better than what people are saying, and is on a good value contract. However, those GM's interested, will try to buy for cheap just like they did with Galchenyuk.

Live with him until he either produces or we can get a fair return. Exact same way we managed the Galchenyuk situation and I support this

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Jones flunked out of Oilers training camp early and has one more season before he has to go through waivers. Manning and Gagner have negative value. That's pretty bad for Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad