Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would love James Neal if they eat a bit of salary or take Alzner/Shaw back.

I think Neal is having a rough season, but I don't think he is just suddenly a bad player. He will find his game, and maybe a change of scenery will do it.

Shaw, Byron and a 2nd for Neal and Bennett?
Hes been bad for three years straight now.

Jul 6, 2016
I would love James Neal if they eat a bit of salary or take Alzner/Shaw back.

I think Neal is having a rough season, but I don't think he is just suddenly a bad player. He will find his game, and maybe a change of scenery will do it.

Shaw, Byron and a 2nd for Neal and Bennett?

Calgary won't give Bennett to anyone. The guy is turning the corner and will have a very solid NHL career.

Neal has a very bad contract. But IF Calgary takes Alzner back in the trade, why not ?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
This 4 game losing streak, really hurt the team and it came at the worst time. Yesterday was a total blowout to a non playoff team. Niemi is partly responsible but still. Currently, the Canes are the only other team close enough to sneak by for the final playoff spot. It's not that tight of a race, the Habs, Bruins, Canes and Pens are battling it out for the 6th, 7th and 8th spot. If the Habs do make the playoffs, I don't see them past the first round. Molson makes a few bucks and they will tell the fans, they had a good season and MB is a great GM. Some fans are happy too.

Right now, the team is starting to run out of gas, they need a sniper and top 4D. The asking price is high and the Habs should not mortgage the future on rentals. If it was me, I would just tank and be a seller, get picks again. Drouin just doesn't fit in this new character team they want to build, I don't think this player can become that star player this franchise needs. Drouin should be dealt for good prospects and picks. That will be one mistake MB would fix. The other would be Alzner. I never liked the Sergachev Drouin deal because this team is missing a top 4D for the left side and Drouin is another Kovalev.

Boston is not in that race at all, they are 7 points ahead. I would say MTL, CAR, PIT, CBJ, WAS will all be fighting until the end. PHI could also become a threat fast, especially if they beat us this week.

The odd team out is MTL or CBJ in my opinion, depending on what they do with Panarin and Bobrovsky.

I wish Drouin was another Kovalev. Kovalev actually showed up when it counted.

Reactions: the

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Would anyone do any of the following trades for Alzner? (The proposals are just a starting point. There could be a small add from either end.)

Alzner to Calgary for Neal. I haven't seen Neal play at all this year, so I'm not sure if this is his game regressing or just a bad season for him. Seemed pretty consistent before this season though. If he were to come back to 20 goal/40 point form he would still be overpaid, but would be more useful than Alzner playing in the AHL.

Alzner to Edmonton for Lucic (with a nullified NMC) +. There would have to be a decent add from the Oilers on this one. Lucic looks like he's finished as well. This all hinges on Lucic nullifying his NMC though. Without that I wouldn't do the deal.

Alzner to New York I for Ladd. Asked an Islanders fan about this one, and he said that he wouldn't do it simply because they would want to rid themselves of Ladd's cap hit without taking cap back. That being said, Ladd is a decent middle 6 guy with experience, leadership, and two Cup rings. Islanders were also one of 4 teams mentioned in a tweet by David Pagnotta as showing some level of interest in Alzner back in November.

Alzner to Toronto for Zaitsev. Not sure what happened to Zaitsev after his 30 point rookie season two years ago, but I'm wondering if a change of scenery would help him (and the Habs). His cap hit is close to the same as Alzner's, but he's signed for two extra years. Again I see him as being more useful than Alzner playing in the AHL.

Alzner to Vancouver for Eriksson. Eriksson may not be putting the numbers of a 6 million dollar player, but he seems to be a useful middle 6 forward. Perhaps Claude Julien could get the most out of him considering he was his coach in Boston. He has the same amount of term as Alzner.

I'm basically looking for a typical bad contract for bad contract deal here that might be a better fit for the Habs (and possibly the other team as well). I wouldn't really be interested in retaining salary on Alzner in any of these particular deals. Is there any deals that could work that I'm missing here? What needs to be added to these deals to make them work? Or is it just a big fat NO to all these deals and we should just keep Alzner instead?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Mortgaging the future for a 2nd line tweener and a 4th D. Yay.

All the while giving the better winger...

"mortgaging the future"

It is two second round picks...

Using '13/'14/'15/'16 (17/18 too recent imo)

Fischer (32nd overall)
Aho (33rd overall)
Barbashev (33rd overall)
Ernn (33rd overall)
Dermott (34th overall)
De La Rose (34th overall)
Compher (35th overall)
Carlo (37th overall
Pettersson (38th overall)
DeBrincat (39th overall)
Elie (40th overall)
Hagg (41st overall)
Petan (43rd overall)
Sprong (46th overall)
Girard (47th overall)
Lehkonen (55th overall)
Montour (55th overall)
Dunn (56th overall)
Carrier (57th overall)
Bertuzzi (58th overall)
Dvorak (58th overall)

So in 120 picks over four drafts, only 21 players panned out as NHL regulars. There are some picks from 2016 (Kyrou/Hart) who are looking like they will be good players in the NHL too, so we can call it 23.

So that leaves at best an 18% chance that a 2nd round pick will even be a regular NHLer. Of the players aforementioned, I would take seven of them over Fowler OR Silfverberg in a 1:1 --- Dermott, DeBrincat, Aho, Kyrou, Hart, Girard and Montour. (7/120 potential picks) ... so a 6% chance we draft a top fledged NHL player.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Skinner isn't even remotely equal to Johansson. Skinner has had seven 20+ goal seasons plus a few 30. Johansson has had 2 while playing for a high flying Washington team.

We needed goal scoring with the trades of Chucky and Patches, and a lot of people wanted Skinner.

Johansson is a good add if you're Winnipeg and want some depth on the 3rd line or even Colorado who needs pretty much an entire 2nd line if they want to make the playoffs.

Just don't see the point for us. I don't think he makes that much of an impact.

We could use a top 6 forward tho. We have 3 decent lines when everyone is healthy.

1. Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
3. Byron - Kotkaniemi - Shaw
4. Lehkonen - Thompson - Armia

That leaves line #2 Domi & Tatar without a dance partner. Preferably we would get another RHS, so that Armia isn't playing the PP.

I mean if Buffalo decides to sell and aren't going to resign Skinner, I'd prefer Skinner to Johansson.

I'd also look at Silfverberg with Anaheim. He's a more talented Armia and would be perfect alongside Tatar and Domi. Fantastic forechecker, good size and skilled enough to play top 6.

Johansson is a good player, but he's not right for us. Habs want to improve they need to be specific in what they're adding.

Of course Johansson isn't Skinner. But Skinner was under valued in the summer and, imo, Johansson is under valued now. That's the commonality I mentioned.

I wanted skinner before the Pacioretty trade regardless of our needs. What kind of left d could we get now for Skinner compared to what left d we could get for the measly 2nd we gave up for skinner? It's not even close.

Johansson does improve us now, since he's better than byron, shaw, lehkonen, armia, weise and dlo. Id take him i the lineup over any one of thise wingers. Plus, since imo he's undervalued in the market, he increases our asset base for future moves. I get that some don't want to see a player like weise or dla take out of the lineup when we're fully healthy. But i really don't give a hoot.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Agreed. Trading Suzuki is a non-starter, we need his scoring ability.

Any of our top 4 prospects are off limits IMO. Romanov, Brook, Poehling and Suzuki are not going anywhere and that includes this year’s 1st. Any other prospects, picks or depth players are fine with me to trade if we can help fill a need. Mete and Juulsen are fairly off limits unless they’re used for a better player than they’d likely become. i.e. One of them in a package for a Fowler or Leddy type deal. Trading years of development for what you hope they’d become at best.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Back up goalies are a dime a dozen

I buy into the notion that they're not that difficult to get. However, if they're so easily available, why did the Habs put up with Niemi for so long this year?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Any of our top 4 prospects are off limits IMO. Romanov, Brook, Poehling and Suzuki are not going anywhere and that includes this year’s 1st. Any other prospects, picks or depth players are fine with me to trade if we can help fill a need. Mete and Juulsen are fairly off limits unless they’re used for a better player than they’d likely become. i.e. One of them in a package for a Fowler or Leddy type deal. Trading years of development for what you hope they’d become at best.

For sure, I only dealt with Suzuki cause he was being invoked in a fake trade with EDM.

Heck, who do we have in the pipeline who can score, after Suzuki?

Reactions: Sterling Archer

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Of course Johansson isn't Skinner. But Skinner was under valued in the summer and, imo, Johansson is under valued now. That's the commonality I mentioned.

I wanted skinner before the Pacioretty trade regardless of our needs. What kind of left d could we get now for Skinner compared to what left d we could get for the measly 2nd we gave up for skinner? It's not even close.

Johansson does improve us now, since he's better than byron, shaw, lehkonen, armia, weise and dlo. Id take him i the lineup over any one of thise wingers. Plus, since imo he's undervalued in the market, he increases our asset base for future moves. I get that some don't want to see a player like weise or dla take out of the lineup when we're fully healthy. But i really don't give a hoot.

Yeah, no, they should be spare parts once healthy. Lehkonen - Thompson - Armia is a quality 4th line. A top 6 forward would do for us want Vanek did for us when he arrived. Move Shaw down, move Armia down, while giving us a better top 6.

Byron moves Lehkonen down.

One top 6 forward and a top 4 LD improves this team a lot.

I read the Caps board a lot and Johansson never got great comments from them: falls a lot/ gets knocked over, misses too many chances, etc.

If we can do a massive trade with Anaheim for Silfverberg and Lindholm I would give up a 1st in that instance. Lindholm is a quality young D.

I don't think MB will do much of anything.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I buy into the notion that they're not that difficult to get. However, if they're so easily available, why did the Habs put up with Niemi for so long this year?

True you can't always get one at the drop of the hat, but i wouldn't hesitate to move Lindgren now if it's better for the franchise long term, even if he better plugs an immediate need now - especially when that need can in all likelihood be plugged at some between now and next trainning camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad