Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part LXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
excactly, what i meant, is he rebels, and refuse to play the youngsters, thus they will be obliged to oust him early

Depends on how long it takes to find a quality candidate, and I’m not talking about the usual suspects that are bandied about due to nepotism. I’m talking someone who would actually be a top candidate in any market.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Price can't and won't be traded until he is as healthy as possible nmentally and physically and has played few good games to show it.

That isn’t true. VGK just traded for Buffalo’s captain who hadn’t even undergone neck surgery yet. And they got a big haul.

Reactions: blarneylad

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I would rather keep Price for now if the best we can get back is a late 1st.
Price should have more value in a couple of years when he has less terms remaining and where retaining salary makes more sense for us.
He likely won't hurt the tank much considering his regular-season stats the previous years are not good.

Yup, 3 quality pieces, which includes a late first, would be my basement price.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
That isn’t true. VGK just traded for Buffalo’s captain who hadn’t even undergone neck surgery yet. And they got a big haul.

He's 10 years younger than Price... and wasn't out of the SABH program for substance abuse so yeah Price is NEVER gonna fetch half of what Vegas gave for Eichel, even with Montreal eating half his salary forever.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
He's 10 years younger than Price... and wasn't out of the SABH program for substance abuse so yeah Price is NEVER gonna fetch half of what Vegas gave for Eichel, even with Montreal eating half his salary forever.
I'd say Price's off ice issues don't really affect his value as everyone saw he still had it. He'd have to return and play some hockey but with proper retention I could see easily half or more than Eichel got. Price at %50 is worth a top prospect and a 1st to most contenders that need a goalie and could take 5mil, that valuation increases if Montreal eats salary in return to facilitate.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Price at %50 is worth a top prospect and a 1st to most contenders that need a goalie and could take 5mil, that valuation increases if Montreal eats salary in return to facilitate.
Maybe if he were 24 instead of 34. Today, $ 5.25 million Price is nowhere near worth top prospect, let alone a first-round pick.

Lmao. You would actually have to give up late first round pick + retain 50% to trade him. That's the reality.

Reactions: CapSpace

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd say Price's off ice issues don't really affect his value as everyone saw he still had it. He'd have to return and play some hockey but with proper retention I could see easily half or more than Eichel got. Price at %50 is worth a top prospect and a 1st to most contenders that need a goalie and could take 5mil, that valuation increases if Montreal eats salary in return to facilitate.
I would offer Price 50% retained, to Oilers for Koskinen, #1 pick and Holloway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
* Price (Retention down to $6M +/-). I would consider full 50% retention... $5.25M
* Montembeault (if the Oilers wanted a cheap back-up to replace sending Koskinen/Smith the other way for cap reasons).
for
* Koskinen (Pending UFA... cap reasons)
* Smith (cap reasons.. Oilers can retain him if they prefer. Up to the Oilers)
* 1st round pick (likely 20+ range)
* Holloway (Fringe grade A prospect)
* Lavoie (Grade B or B+ type)

Would you consider a late 1st, Holloway, and Lavoie a return we can live with? :dunno:. Price is not done but it requires him to play games again and show that he is healthy and ready to go. I don't care about others trying to say he is done. He's not. Look at his playoff stats over the last two years. He's still a game changer in net (when healthy) and anybody with a brain knows it. Team Canada management pretty much said if Price is healthy, he is on the team. The question is not ability or substantial decline, it's about health. Trying to point out his regular season numbers is ignorance in terms of how the Habs team D has exposed him with high danger shots over and over again. The difference in the last two playoff runs was the Habs focused on playing better D in front of him which shows

Price at 50% is a serious pitch for the Habs to the Oilers. Gives them a real shot at a cup and they will not ignore this trade platform. I stand firm on that and I'm sure McDavid and Drai agree with me. This is not about the Habs dumping Price. It's about getting some futures in return while we give Price a shot at a cup in another city cause it's not happening in Montreal at this stage.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
avs need a goalie.... cue the rumors

they suck in net.. time for our new guy to make a call , start the talks slowly

If the Habs are willing to retain a substantial amount to help fit Price in on a contending team, there will be interest no doubt. But he has to get healthy and play games again first.

Oilers and Avs are two logical spots. He gives them a boost and and extra edge to go on deep playoff runs. Bargain bin goalies are not working in both Colorado or Edmonton and all they are doing is wasting cup contending years and prime years of their core if they continue with the hope they find a bargain bin goalie that can get hot in the playoffs.

Send the memo Gorton! Price at 50% retention is a possibility and we would consider taking back 1/2 year cap dumps to help the trading team with their cap. Then let the phone ring and go from there!

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If the Habs are willing to retain a substantial amount to help fit Price in on a contending team, there will be interest no doubt. But he has to get healthy and play games again first.

Oilers and Avs are two logical spots. He gives them a boost and and extra edge to go on deep playoff runs. Bargain bin goalies are not working in both Colorado or Edmonton and all they are doing is wasting cup contending years and prime years of their core if they continue with the hope they find a bargain bin goalie that can get hot in the playoffs.

Send the memo Gorton! Price at 50% retention is a possibility and we would consider taking back 1/2 year cap dumps to help the trading team with their cap. Then let the phone ring and go from there!
I hear the cell towers are lighting up

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bennett would’ve been great for us.

When you look at how our team looks without skating/grit (Weber, Danault, Perry), you start to realize that we are now back to being a soft team with lack of puck possession players and especially guys that can win battles in the trenches. Even Gallagher is not winning to much puck battles these days.

Gallagher, Caufield, Lehkonen, Byron, Drouin. Too many guys that can't win battles when their time and space is reduced. But if we are going to rebuild and go with youth, we could retain some of them cause they actually help tank lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hear the cell towers are lighting up

Any fan trying to say there would be no interest even with Price at 50% are out to lunch! Price comes back to play a few games before the holidays and then full time again in January. Once he proves he is healthy again, have a conversation with him about our future and his future and I'm sure they can mutually agree that a trade is best for both sides. Then find out what teams he is willing to get traded to. Then send the memo and the phone will ring and ring.

If we decide to rebuild, I don't believe Price will want to drown in our rebuild years like Lundqvist wanted to with the Rangers. Coincidentally, Gorton was the GM with the Rangers when they kept Lundqvist and now he with us and we got Price. Difference is Lundqvist wanted his family to stay in NYC. Price would be open to moving back to the west coast with his family I am sure!

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Any fan trying to say there would be no interest even with Price at 50% are out to lunch! Price comes back to play a few games before the holidays and then full time again in January. Once he proves he is healthy again, have a conversation with him about our future and his future and I'm sure they can mutually agree that a trade is best for both sides. Then find out what teams he is willing to get traded to. Then send the memo and the phone will ring and ring.
doubt it for the habs to retain 50% for 5 more years they would need a good return back and i just dont see any GMs giving away good assets for Carey,im sure they all love and respect Price but hes knees are banged up hes 34 years old just left rehab for substance abuse and still has 5 more years to hes contract

hope im wrong Price deserves a cup

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
doubt it for the habs to retain 50% for 5 more years they would need a good return back and i just dont see any GMs giving away good assets for Carey,im sure they all love and respect Price but hes knees are banged up hes 34 years old just left rehab for substance abuse and still has 5 more years to hes contract

hope im wrong Price deserves a cup

Retaining 50% for the rest of this season and 4 more (age 34-38) would be a major decision but it's really how we can move him for any decent futures value. Oilers just went after guys who are 38+ for two years and spent $7.74M of their cap (Keith and Smith).

I don't believe ability or serious decline is the issue. He has to get back playing games though. Give other teams some sample size that he latest surgery (clean up surgery) has worked and his addition to pain killers are past him.

Trying to trade Price at full cap hit is almost impossible. Not because he sucks or is old, but because there is a flat cap growth and not many teams with a surplus of cap space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Retaining that much salary on Price is ludicrous. You don’t give yourself $5m in dead cap for 5 years to get rid of one of your 3 good players. Either someone takes his full cap or they don’t take him.

Then we are stuck with him in rebuild years while he drowns with us like Lundqvist did with the Rangers during their rebuild. If the Habs truly decide to rebuild, Price will be moved and the only way to do that is to retain. Retaining that much salary is a serious decision but we wont' need cap space in rebuild years. In fact, it would help us reach the cap floor if we decide to go with a really young roster.

I'd retain 50% on all 3 of Gallagher, Petry, and Price but the futures need to be solid. Not golden but solid. Basically $12M in retain salary for 3-5 years (including this year). That basically how long our rebuild would take before we would have to pay the kids who need new contracts after ELC

Do you think Price and his family loves Montreal as much as Lundqvist loved NYC? I don't. Price and his family would like to stay if we improved our team but that's not probable. Price will be open to being traded and he might actually demand a trade.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Price is a VERY high risk high reward player for someone to trade for, and goalies already don’t command much in return. I can see us getting a decent prospect but not 2 of a teams top prospects and a 1st

Reactions: Ozmodiar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad