Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Quick question:
How many habs drafted forwards in the lineup this year playing as good or better than Lek?
(None)

How about last season?
(1, gally... maybe 2 if you put JKOs season ahead)

How about the year before that?
(1, gally)

So I'd be a little skeptical of the claim we can easily replace him via the draft... & even so, not for years.

He's a better asset in hand than in trade if a 2nd is all we're getting.
Well in a good drafting team I don't think getting a player like Lehkonen is impossible. We drafted a player like Pezetta in the 6th round who has the potential to have a similar impact. Just because the Habs can't draft and develop now I wouldn't overvalue Lehkonen. I rather sell high when possible.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I feel like we would be selling low on Petry big time. Unless someone gives us proper value by disregarding his awful play this season, there is no point in trading him.

I have to believe that a smart GM is going to see Petry’s season as an aberration and not a decline or a new normal. Good RHD are difficult to find. If anyone is expecting a large discount, let Petry stay put and move him when he returns to his usual form.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I have to believe that a smart GM is going to see Petry’s season as an aberration and not a decline or a new normal. Good RHD are difficult to find. If anyone is expecting a large discount, let Petry stay put and move him when he returns to his usual form.
This. He’s strung together multiple 40 point seasons and I believe led D in goals last year. This year is a disaster for every Hab player so I don’t think GMs are holding it against players with long track records of being solid.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well in a good drafting team I don't think getting a player like Lehkonen is impossible. We drafted a player like Pezetta in the 6th round who has the potential to have a similar impact. Just because the Habs can't draft and develop now I wouldn't overvalue Lehkonen. I rather sell high when possible.

I think you severely underestimate the quality & impact of Lek... the pezzetta comparison highlights that.

That said, It's not a question of Lekhonen in isolation. Middle 6 players with limited offensive impact are hardly irreplaceable.

It's the broader context that makes trading him silly short of a significant "overpayment".

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Exactly this. There are far more undesirable assets to jettison — start with those. Lehkonen is a positive, not a liability. He’ll keep his value beyond this year as teams are always on the lookout for that type of no maintenance, solid contributor.

Seriously, why so narrow-minded?

Get rid of the crap? Sure.

Expect more than crap back? Why should you?

Not all players fit a niche need like Chiarot and are worth more than their actual value, come trade deadline, especially with a little bit of competition for his services.

Why should Montreal disais trading Lehkonen, a supporting cast type of player when they can perhaps get a Kravstov back, which is a player with definitive top-6 upside and, on the best of day, the potential to be a game-changing talent. If ot wasn't for taking advantage of a falling out with the Rangers' management for Kravtsov, the thought of making that swap would likely never even be entertained.

It's all about opportunity and seizing that opportunity.

Maybe you won't get Kravstov for Lehkonen, but maybe you can get Kravtsov and a 1st round pick in 2022 for Chiarot, Lehkonen and a 2nd round pick in 2023?

Maybe you can get Kravstov, Lundkvist and a 1st round pick for Chiarot, Lehkonen, a 2nd round pick in 2022 (not that far removed from a late 1st round pick) and the rights to Harris (which might sign in New York, but would never do so in Montreal)?

Think about it, it's just a 10 or so spot downgrade for New York to take the 2nd round pick over their first round pick. Harris might be a decent replacement for Lundkvist and Chiarot should be good for a problem child in Kravstov. Lehkonen is the package deal throw-in that event out any discrepancies in value.

Montreal gains rebuild value at its best in the future. New York gets immediate upgrades to supporting rules they need to go deep in the playoffs and future value to compensate for losing Lundkvist, but the loss itself is mitigated by the fact he's not an actual contributor right now and by the fact they gain a furture asset that might bring a lot of the same in Harris.

In fact, New York gives up nothing that can currently contribute to a deep playoff run and they have the Cap space to accomodate all these players. If they are after another player like Hertl, at 5.625M, as some would suggest, Montreal can swallow half of 3.5M for 1.75M and half of 2.3M for 1.15M, a grand total of 2.9M of the reported 10M under the Cap which New York has as leeway to fit the 5.625M for Hertl.

Is all of what is earmarked in this proposal about to be spent on acquiring Hertl; a 1st round pick, Kravtsov, Lundkvist?

I don't know what to say, but the offer sounds fair and fille needs on both teams, althoug we can argue any imaginaire scenario to make the deal sound undoable.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Love to keep him and trade JD

That has to be deliberately obtuse as a commenter since the two players dont bring the same thing at all to the table. Just an opportunity to say you don't like Drouin that you can't miss out on?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Quick question:
How many habs drafted forwards in the lineup this year playing as good or better than Lek?
(None)

How about last season?
(1, gally... maybe 2 if you put JKOs season ahead)

How about the year before that?
(1, gally)

So I'd be a little skeptical of the claim we can easily replace him via the draft... & even so, not for years.

He's a better asset in hand than in trade if a 2nd is all we're getting.

Ylonen will replace Lehkonen, IMHO.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think you severely underestimate the quality & impact of Lek... the pezzetta comparison highlights that.

That said, It's not a question of Lekhonen in isolation. Middle 6 players with limited offensive impact are hardly irreplaceable.

It's the broader context that makes trading him silly short of a significant "overpayment".

What is the supposed 'broader context' you allure to that makes trading Lehkonen short of an overpayment. hell, with a rebuild on the horizon, the exact same type of player as Lehkonen, only younger and not ready to help just yet, would be the perfect type of player to get in a trade without the need for a significant 'overpayment'.

But, I think you could bundle Lehkonen and a draft pick to get Kravstov, for example, given the history between the player and the Rangers.

If it's an individual deal -- and not part of a larger package -- Montreal's 2022 second round pick (which will be like a late first round pick really), their 2023 3rd round pick and Lehkonen might seal the deal to land Kravstov.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Reactions: Garnet76

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Seriously, why so narrow-minded?

Get rid of the crap? Sure.

Expect more than crap back? Why should you?

Why so obtuse?

Clearing the deck to manufacture as much cap room as possible, as Job 1. Cap space in a flat cap time, is the most valuable commodity.

Once that’s achieved, move the more difficult to move assets who have some value but who are saddled with thorny contracts, by taking back some salary and striving to get some futures as part of the process.

Capisci? Or are you embarked on an ad hominem path drunken with an exaggerated sense of entitlement? Sheesh.

Reactions: Miller Time
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad