Trade Proposal Thread IV - The "no character, AHL backup, Ryder 0.5" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
If you trade Eller you likely get a contract back of about the same value...hopefully a more skilled player who needs a change of scenery.

Kekalainen drafted him so maybe he's willing to gamble...I don't see a fit though in terms of return...

Nope, not even. The RDS experts have been shouting all morning that he has negative value, not even good enough for any NHL roster and that he'll soon be in St-John's. He's definitely not worth a "more skilled" player. Gaston, Guillaume, Lemay, Vinny and company have deemed him worthless on the trade market - and you want a "more skilled" player? Nope, not even. He's worthless.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
It's not just about personality, his cap hit is 4.5 mil for another year and a half.

That's crazy for a guy on pace for 25 points.

What you have to understand is...

1-Part of that is getting the media off his case. If he says he is working on a major trade then the city is turned upside down, then we hear about it for 3 years if it falls apart. Managing the media(and now the fans because of social media) is a big part of a job in Montreal.

2-Any big trade will involve key young players leaving. Eberle will cost Galchenyuk or Beaulieu plus a 1st...not Emelin and Desharnais/Eller as some believe. you fill one hole and create another or put a big dent in your future. It's great that CBJ got Carter but he cost them Voracek plus Couturier(pick) and Cousins(pick).

I could put up with it if he was productive and had a reasonable cap hit.

That's pretty much the issue, his compete level was horrible at playoff time.

It's not even the struggling, it's the lack of compete. In hindsight the gambling investigation may have thrown him off his game, but he was terrible. He just stood around and waited for others to get him the puck.

I agree that he may have that in mind when talking to the media, but based on his moves so far (minimal) he's abiding to it.

It's easy to claim things as impossible to lower the bar. This isn't a case of under promising and over delivering, so far he has under promised AND under delivered.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I agree that he may have that in mind when talking to the media, but based on his moves so far (minimal) he's abiding to it.

It's easy to claim things as impossible to lower the bar. This isn't a case of under promising and over delivering, so far he has under promised AND under delivered.

It's not a MB thing though...look at the trades in the NHL so far...the only actual player trades have been Kassian-Scrivens(and both were AHL) plus the Scuderi-Daley trade in 3+ months.

There are a lot of factors...races are tight, like 28 teams are within 5 points of the playoffs. Plus the cap has not gone up, Canadian dollar is down, that affects the cap and affects small markets being able to take on money. All this limits trading.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
It's not a MB thing though...look at the trades in the NHL so far...the only actual player trades have been Kassian-Scrivens(and both were AHL) plus the Scuderi-Daley trade in 3+ months.

There are a lot of factors...races are tight, like 28 teams are within 5 points of the playoffs. Plus the cap has not gone up, Canadian dollar is down, that affects the cap and affects small markets being able to take on money. All this limits trading.

Sorry, what I meant was 'in his tenure', not just this season.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
So we have went from "plenty of time to make a trade, got til the deadline" to "its too difficult to make trades mid season."

Then we will get to july 1, needs not addressed again aside from some reclamation project, then once again be said, "lots of time, they have all year."

We will go full circle

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
So we have went from "plenty of time to make a trade, got til the deadline" to "its too difficult to make trades mid season."

Then we will get to july 1, needs not addressed again aside from some reclamation project, then once again be said, "lots of time, they have all year."

We will go full circle

july 1st bergevin will say the famous quote: #buildingthroughthedraft

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

We will go full circle

Not sure how either of those statements aren't true...

Are we March 1st and no one told me?
Not difficult to make trades? Is that why there's been a flood of trades this year?

The idea that Bergevin is just sitting idly by and not attempting to make his team better is completely ridiculous.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Sorry, what I meant was 'in his tenure', not just this season.

I agree, however before this year you can argue that the team was not yet a top 3-4 contender. even if he adds big in 2013 or 2014 I don't think it wins us a cup.

My guess is Juulsen +

CBJ probably wants an NHLer or NHL ready young player back. Juulsen is 3-4 years away. Kekalainen might be a head scout elwhere by then if he makes deals like that.

Building through the draft with the 28 overall pick and no 2nd round picks cause he traded them for 4th liners.

When have we EVER traded a 2nd round pick for a 4th liner?

In the cap world, the draft is the #1 source for talent to build a roster.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I have never been a make a trade for the sake of a trade kind of guy, but if MB doesn't have the stones to fire MT, then we NEED to make a change of some kind in the room..........:rant:
This has been the worst stretch of hockey I have ever seen the Habs play...I am 53 yrs old, and have seen a ton of hockey, and this has been worse than awful. :rant:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Not sure how either of those statements aren't true...

Are we March 1st and no one told me?
Not difficult to make trades? Is that why there's been a flood of trades this year?

The idea that Bergevin is just sitting idly by and not attempting to make his team better is completely ridiculous.

Its ridiculous because its just a permanent never ending excuse.

It started from the end of year pc. Too hard to make deals, not the right time, we got lots of time, dont need to sign "x" player, we can trade for a player like them

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Dreger's tweet means if we want RyJo, it starts with Beaulieu

I take it Dreger is talking about Seth Jones as the defensemen in question. Bo is not SJ, so we'd likely have to add a pick on top of that to equal that portion of the deal.

It is nice to get glimpses into the price tag on some of these trade targets. Gives it perspective.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I have never been a make a trade for the sake of a trade kind of guy, but if MB doesn't have the stones to fire MT, then we NEED to make a change of some kind in the room..........:rant:
This has been the worst stretch of hockey I have ever seen the Habs play...I am 53 yrs old, and have seen a ton of hockey, and this has been worse than awful. :rant:

Im with ya blong but how do you evaluate this team's needs atm with all this inconsistent coaching and lack of effort from the players. I think a new coach needs to come in so we can better judge what this team needs and what we can expend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad