HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

WG

Sep 9, 2008
So trade down with a team that really wants a specfici d-man, and go for whoever is still available betwewen Igionla, Eiserman, or Sennecke, while picking up a nice bonus for the trade-down.

Hence the trade-down strategy. Another option is to trade UP from the Winnipeg rank to get Sennecke.

Price only knows.
I know what you are looking to do here, but presuming the team really prefers one of these over the others, what happens if you lose out on Demidov and Lindstrom AND the next F on the list? The team already has 12 picks in Rounds 1-3 of the next two drafts and there's already something of a logjam for contracts, roster spots etc. Not sure adding another late first/early 2nd is worth missing out on the best available F at 5OV.

olli1087

Feb 3, 2024
Why would the Habs give up the two best players in the deal? This is awful.
Because what's coming back isn't a player...

Matheson alone isn't bringing back a 15th OA pick IMO. Beck might be giving too much value, but he could be swapped with another prospect to adjust value. Taking back Husso brings flexibility to Detroit under the cap and doesn't hurt us.

Of course you don't do this deal before the draft, but it could be arranged beforehand in case someone we like slips to 15. Would I make a Matheson + Beck vs Catton/Sennecke deal? Absolutely!

Detroit is looking to make the playoffs next year. They would rather have a 20/21 years old prospect than drafting an 18yo and wait 2-3 years before he's ready.

Reactions: RandomTask26

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Matheson alone isn't bringing back a 15th OA pick IMO. Beck might be giving too much value, but he could be swapped with another prospect to adjust value. Taking back Husso brings flexibility to Detroit under the cap and doesn't hurt us.

Of course you don't do this deal before the draft, but it could be arranged beforehand in case someone we like slips to 15. Would I make a Matheson + Beck vs Catton/Sennecke deal? Absolutely!

Detroit is looking to make the playoffs next year. They would rather have a 20/21 years old prospect than drafting an 18yo and wait 2-3 years before he's ready.
And so would the Habs and they have a better chance to make the playoffs than Detroit.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
What do you guys think of this trade, value wise :

To Montreal :
15th OA pick
Husso (cap dump for 1 year)

To Detroit :
Matheson
Beck
I think that's good value wise. GMs around the league know that if they're adding Matheson to a properly built team, he isn't a 60 point d-man because on a properly built team he won't be playing 25+mins a game. The Beck addition makes it hurt a bit more, but considering the depth of the draft, if a player like Eiserman drops, Montreal should happily do it.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Habs are keeping Matheson this year to shield and support younger Ds like Hutson. Ideally, he is not a 25+minute-munching 1st pairing D, but, in a pinch, to help develop a younger D or two, using him in such a role again next year is not a concern.

Guhle's defensive stats improved in a 1st pairing role, even on his offside, and playing on the 1st pairing again as the RHD, unlike what some divas on this site claim, won't cripple his development.

The idea, here, is not to cater to Matheson, but to younger Ds' development by letting Matheson take on the difficult assignments for another year in Montreal.

Ideally, Hughes signs an actual top-4 RHD in the form of a veteran to play with Hutson, but I suspect Savard will hang on until the trade deadline to play the mentor role to Hutson (not my first choice).

I'd let Mailloux startle year in a 3rd pairing role with Xhekaj so as not to overexpose him defensively, early on.

Xhekaj was the only D to have positive defensive numbers for the Habs last season and he helped other players' defensive stats improve when they played with him (Savard, for example).

There was a brief chemistry demonstrated when Xhekaj played with Mailloux in Laval, so the reunion ought to prove worthwhile at the NHL level.

Next season, at least until the trade deadline, I expect to see:

Matheson- Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj -Mailloux

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

To Montreal :
15th OA pick

To Detroit :
Matheson
Beck
I like it. But I don't think Yzerman trades his top 15 pick at this stage in his build. he's said many times he thinks he can get top talent without finishing bottom 5 by having a good scouting department. That's why he's ok with being a bubble team. I think he'll try to add vets in other ways. Can't see him giving up that pick.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
The worst arguement for keeping Matheson is to talk about proper d-pairings and how he'll be a veteran presence, then make your predicted pairings with Ghule on his right side. That's one of the main arguements in favour of trading Matheson :help:

Reactions: RandomTask26

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

The Habs are looking to take a step forward. Trading a 60 point defenceman that makes less than $5m per year for a draft pick is just silly. Adding one of our top prospects makes it asinine. Getting back a third goalie which is something that hurt the team this year makes it stupid.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
If someone like Eiserman slipped to that range, I'd be all over it. I think this kid will be a 30 goal threat in the NHL. He's young like Iggy and has solid weight early on

Getting both Iggy and Eiserman. Sign me up
Yeah I would be quite happy if Habs came out of the 1st rd with both Iginla and Eiserman.

Eiserman is totally 50/50, but really 100/0 Like either hes a first line star winger or barely plays 100 games in the NHL.. i would not want to risk a top 10 pick him, but I think Philly take him at #12.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
The interesting thing for me this offseason will he if KH can find a suitor for Dvorak.

With one year remaining on his contract, risk is very low for any team that will be trading for him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The interesting thing for me this offseason will he if KH can find a suitor for Dvorak.

With one year remaining on his contract, risk is very low for any team that will be trading for him.
50% retained, I think he's movable. Teams like depth at center, at a low cost.

But, I wouldn't mind if we keep him and play him on the wing. I don't think he's dynamic enough to be a good center for our good young players to play with (Roy, Newhook). But I have no problem with him playing with those players, or other good offensive players on the wing. He's one of those players that won't drive play but can be a pretty good complimentary offensive player, imo.

For example:

CC - Suzuki - Slaf
Dvorak - Dach - UFA/Roy
Armia - Newhook - Roy/Gallagher
Gallagher/RHP - Evans - Anderson
RHP/Ylo/Pez

Dvo would essentailly be a stop gap for whoever we pick in 2024, or a stop gap for a big UFA signing in 2025 when he, Armia, and Allen come off the books, and maybe there's a Gally buyout.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

To Montreal :
15th OA pick

To Detroit :
Matheson
Beck
Wtf would we do that for?

I like it. But I don't think Yzerman trades his top 15 pick at this stage in his build. he's said many times he thinks he can get top talent without finishing bottom 5 by having a good scouting department. That's why he's ok with being a bubble team. I think he'll try to add vets in other ways. Can't see him giving up that pick.
Why do you like that trade? Dman with 60 points and third most minutes played last year plus a really good center prospect for 15th overall and a cap dump? Are you nuts?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wtf would we do that for?

Why do you like that trade? Dman with 60 points and third most minutes played last year plus a really good center prospect for 15th overall and a cap dump? Are you nuts?

Beck isn't the main piece in the deal. We can debate about whether Yzerman would do this deal or not. But let's he does the deal without Beck, and it's Farrell and Mesar instead. Yes, I like getting the 15th overall pick in THIS YEAR's draft. We need quality over quantity at this point. And I want to trade vets for potential young core pieces.

So for sure I can understand people not wanting to put Beck in. I'm not high on Beck as a top 6 forward. But I do think he could be a very useful player on a championship team. I also think if it's as a bottom sixer, those players can be acquired in other ways. It's hard to get Suzuki level talent that you can find in the 10-15 range if a deep draft.

So also, the trade definitely depends on the scouts believing there's a special player that will fall, and a willingness to trade up from 15 to get him.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The worst arguement for keeping Matheson is to talk about proper d-pairings and how he'll be a veteran presence, then make your predicted pairings with Ghule on his right side. That's one of the main arguements in favour of trading Matheson :help:
If you trade Matheson and Guhle stumbles, it becomes a mess. It reminds me of trading Huet because Price looked great young and almost destroying his development because of it. It’s hard to gauge value for good veteran stop gaps because they’re usually worth more to a GM and teams then they are in a trade.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad