HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd argue that outside of his first 5 to 10 games Struble was worse than Xhekaj, Barron, Harris and even Lindstrom were this season. Barron may get more from being sent down, but its not a given and I would have Struble in the AHL next season.
Barron will be lost to waivers if sent down.

This is what I would do if no one is traded:

Matherson-Guhle
Xhekaj or Struble/Savard
Harris/Kovacevic/Barron are 5-6-7

Laval starts the season with Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson and the loser of the Xhekaj/Struble battle at camp.

Reactions: Habitant#1 and bsl

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Which is why you give him one more year. He’s a rd with potential. You don’t throw that away.
You can keep Barron and one other young dman as the 6 and 7 D.

I just don't see him making it over the top 5 of:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj -

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
You can keep Barron and one other young dman as the 6 and 7 D.

I just don't see him making it over the top 5 of:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj -
Guhle is a natural ld and savard has one more year. Habs in one year have maybe reinbacker maillioux and Barron as natural rd. you don’t throw Barron away.

Some are saying Barron’s a low IQ guy. If that’s correct, you can’t upgrade a player’s IQ, that part of him stays what it is.
He has one more year to improve his iq. He’s not applying to the nasa program.

Reactions: Habs Icing

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Guhle is a natural ld and savard has one more year. Habs in one year have maybe reinbacker maillioux and Barron as natural rd. you don’t throw Barron away.

He has one more year to improve his iq. He’s not applying to the nasa program.

You don't have theo Barron away. You can either trade him or keep him as the 6/7 this year and then take it year by year.

As for Gihle, yes, he's a natural LD, but so are Matheson, Hutson, and Xhekaj. Barron will have to beat out Reinbacher, Mailloux, and the 4 natural LD's just listed if he wants to crack the top 6.

I don't think Hutson starts in the NHL
Fair enough. We'll see how things shake out at training camp. I think he'll be a big part of this team. I think he'll have a similar impact to what Slaf had last year and Caufield had once Ducharme was fired.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Why? To create more unused cap space or to use that on a over the hill 30+ UFA? Makes no sense.

Gallagher or Anderson (or both) for Dubois makes more sense. Still might have an anchor contract but I do feel Dubois rebounds with MSL and the Habs young core. Unless we have plans to play him 3rd or 4th line (like the Kings) and with less talent to work with.

The elephant in the room here is not noticing how Dubois was utilized by the Kings. Even on the Jets, Dubois was a pt/game player with Connor but not so much when they moved him down. He's clearly not the type to lead a line by himself so management is dumb to try it and expect different results.
Both make no sense.

Doesn't make sense to pay a 1st to create unused cap space, i agree.

But you're including him in a trade with LA and you're still paying to get rid of him in a way, this time by taking on a higher cap hit for the last 4 years of Dubois' contract.
Like i said before, it doesn't make sense for LA either, unless they go in full rebuild mode. They want to create cap space in the short term to add a good goalie, not 3 years for now.
Getting crippled with Gallagher's contract is making them worse on the short term and they save only 1M of cap space.

Maybe sending them Price's contract instead makes more sense. LA is probably spending to the cap anyway so Price on LTIR would't impact them nearly as much as Gallagher's contract. Of course, LA would still have to retain 2.5-3M instead of 1M.

Dubois was at a 0.5 PPG pace in his first year in WIN, same as this year, and followed that with 60 and 63 points seasons, so he proved he can turn it around.
But he's still a big risk, even at 5.5-6M.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Just to add an interesting note, McCagg is adamant that Dach was not Plan A either, and that the Habs had Noah Ostlund ranked very highly in the draft and wanted to take him, but they thought he wouldn't be there at 13 so they settled for Dach
McCagg is no more plugged in to the Hughes/Gorton regime than you or I am. McCagg is like the poor man’s version of Stephane Waite, and that’s not a compliment.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
McCagg is no more plugged in to the Hughes/Gorton regime than you or I am. McCagg is like the poor man’s version of Stephane Waite, and that’s not a compliment.
That's just not true. It was said very smugly during his interview with Lane Hutson, not sure you or I are tapped in enough to interview Lane.

It was funny though cause Lane looked like he didn't care or really know what to do with the useless information. McCagg was grinning the whole time and Lane was like "huh why is this guy asking me about Ostlund"

Reactions: Deus ex machina

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
While true, its an accusation that is frequently incorrect, especially when it comes to young players.
Exactly , some had said slaf has low hockey iq after half a rookie year :) ….
While hindsight is showing all that his iq is one of his strenght

Both make no sense.

Doesn't make sense to pay a 1st to create unused cap space, i agree.

But you're including him in a trade with LA and you're still paying to get rid of him in a way, this time by taking on a higher cap hit for the last 4 years of Dubois' contract.
Like i said before, it doesn't make sense for LA either, unless they go in full rebuild mode. They want to create cap space in the short term to add a good goalie, not 3 years for now.
Getting crippled with Gallagher's contract is making them worse on the short term and they save only 1M of cap space.

Maybe sending them Price's contract instead makes more sense. LA is probably spending to the cap anyway so Price on LTIR would't impact them nearly as much as Gallagher's contract. Of course, LA would still have to retain 2.5-3M instead of 1M.

Dubois was at a 0.5 PPG pace in his first year in WIN, same as this year, and followed that with 60 and 63 points seasons, so he proved he can turn it around.
But he's still a big risk, even at 5.5-6M.
The. Again I don’t like him anymore but at 5.6 with the new cap coming he can be valuable .(keep in mind just Utah will raise the cap by itself )

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Speaking of another old expression when two players gets in a fight, they often say "ils ont maille à partir", I was thinking of knitting starting, something difficult but I was all wrong. "Maille" was the smallest money in ancient french regime and "partir" was the old word for "partager" (split or part off). So often there was conflicts when two persons wanted to split the smallest money dime. So it could be they have a dime to split to translate in english.
And the story said there has been an half "maille" later in money exchange but the expression stayed.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's playoffs or bust for 90% of Habs fans.

HF breeds a rare form of super fan that wants to tank for 3-5 straight years to get good players, to hopefully get wins later on.

Most fans just want to cheer for wins, and they want them to happen sooner.
Habs team will have to show improvements next year even if we put in books another year with high picks. There must be improvements in some departments even if the pts at the ends sucks. We are a team that suffers a lot of injuries in stats.

There is a step the young generation could take and if we stay away from injuries we could push to a PO spot. Maybe, maybe.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Exactly , some had said slaf has low hockey iq after half a rookie year :) ….
While hindsight is showing all that his iq is one of his strenght

The argument was also made incorrectly with other players too.

The term "hockey iq" is nebulous. It definitely matters (arguably more than anything else), but is really hard to describe, let alone measure. I know of no one who hasn't made the wrong call on a player's hockey IQ before. I personally think Barron has a good hockey IQ and just needs to develop better defensive habits. But I could also be totally wrong.

I just generally really don't like the idea of trading a 22 year old RD because he isn't a top-4 guy yet, especially when its because he's considered lower in the pecking order than players who haven't even played as well as he has generally. Unless the trade improves the team in the long run (or has the realistic prospect of doing so).

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
That's just not true. It was said very smugly during his interview with Lane Hutson, not sure you or I are tapped in enough to interview Lane.

It was funny though cause Lane looked like he didn't care or really know what to do with the useless information. McCagg was grinning the whole time and Lane was like "huh why is this guy asking me about Ostlund"
Interviewing a player is so far from being plugged into the inner workings of the GM and President of Operations that I’m at a loss for the appropriate simile to use to describe the gap.

I suspect most people kind of look at Grant in a similar manner anytime he starts asking questions or making points. He’s as sharp as a marble.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Think I would do this.

* Dubois for 7 years @ $7.5M
vs
* Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M
* Dvorak for 1 (Habs can retain 50% to make the cap work better for LA next season).
* Harris
* Maybe we add a B prospect

Very good chance both Dubois and Gallagher waive their NMC. Gallagher gets to play with Danault again.

Risky to take on Dubois for 7 years at $7.5M but he can't be that done. I think MSL gets the best out of him and we can use his size up front.
Nope. Way too much added on our side.

PLD at 7.5 for Gally is a starting point that the Kings would need to add to, not vice versa.

His play this year, in a great situation, further reinforced the impression that he isn't serious or competitive enough to bring the kind of consistency to his game that his contract requires... And the risk of physical decline making even less impactful than he is now (perhaps leading to a Rene Bourque esque early exit from the league) is considerable.

Reactions: bsl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad