HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I’d go for a player that wants to sign 3 years, 4 max. Following this principle, I would go for Toffoli in the 4-5 M$ range or Marchessault if he accepts 7-7,5M$. If we can trade Dvorak, I wouldn’t say no to Monahan but wouldn’t give him more than 2-3 years. That spot is Beck in 2 years imo.

edit: lol nevermind

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Spicy indeed.Not sure…losing Guhle and possibly one of Lindstrom,Demidov,Catton or Iginla…
With such a trade, Montreal lands the 25-year old Sharangovich, who has shown he can be a scoring winger with 31 goals this season. He can also play any forward position and would provide security in case Dach proves to be injury cursed. Plus, he fits the demographics of the younger core.

Then, with the 9th OA pick, they are in the running for Eiserman, if nothing else. That would mean two scoring forwards added to the system.

I definitely like the potential to get 30+ goals, eventually, from Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Sharangovich and Eiserman, plus 20 from Dach, Roy and Newhook.

I believe that Montreal can remain rather strong on the backend going forward, even without Guhle:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Eiserman - Dach - Sharangovich
Newhook - Beck - Roy
Tuch - Xhekaj - Coronato

Hutson - Reinbacher
Matheson - Engstrom
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Strubble, Dvorak, WPG 1st... That's a better fit for both sides imo, though if Verbeek preferred Anderson/Mailloux, I'd pull that trigger.

I think some around here underestimate the value of KH/MSL knowing Zegras very well. The talent and competitiveness to be an elite top 6 player is evident... If they are confident that he's coachable and hungry to become the best player he can be, there's no reason to doubt it.
I don't want Zegras. He's another Dubois. Very over rated because of the Michigan.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Habs looking to make another Newhook type trade Cole Sillinger could be good player. I remember when he was with the Tigers as 16 year old he was among best player. Very mature, solid player. I'd rather acquire him than Johnson.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't want Zegras. He's another Dubois. Very over rated because of the Michigan.
Very little basis for this opinion.

Certainly the Michigan does nothing special for me. 1 Michigan goal = 1 deflection goal = 1 breakaway goal = 1 one-timer goal, etc. Same with assists. You get 'em year after year? You earned them.

Last edited:

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Until the defense and goalies are able, with the forwards help of course, to actually keep the puck out of our net, I can't see an actual improvement in the cards, even if increased offense brings the horrific goal differential down .
5v5 we were 160 - 164. Which is middle of the league. We were much better 5v5 then previous 2 years.

PP/PK are easier to improve then 5v5 play.

Reactions: Rozz

GlobalNews

Aug 7, 2006
What do you think it would take to get Gabe Villardi?

Jets 1st a 2nd and Harris enough?

They have 3 D on expiring contracts. Schmidts contract is up next year and Lambert is coming in as RHF.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I love the skill guys as much as anyone else but watching the leafs playoff performances over the years has to really make you ask yourself what you’re getting with Zegras. He’ll help you get to the playoffs but once there you won’t see him, in my opinion. So what do you value- playoff success or regular season success ? At the rumoured price he isn’t worth it if he can’t also contribute in the playoffs also.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Basu&Godin mentioned several names- Johnson, Lundell, Holloway, Zegras, Necas and additional to those Patrick Laine. Honestly, I like the idea of Laine. He would cost peanuts comparing to the others and there is no big risk for us. We have that cap space anyway, we would not lose any key prospect and even if it does not work out, his contract is over in 2026. Laine needs motivation, MSL, Cole, Slaf and others around the team can be infectious.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I love the skill guys as much as anyone else but watching the leafs playoff performances over the years has to really make you ask yourself what you’re getting with Zegras. He’ll help you get to the playoffs but once there you won’t see him, in my opinion. So what do you value- playoff success or regular season success ? At the rumoured price he isn’t worth it if he can’t also contribute in the playoffs also.
The Leafs issue isn’t the Big-4, it’s who they’re surrounded by. Caufield was an important player for the Habs Cup run, very similar player to Zegras - but he has Weber, Perry, Armia, Gallagher etc piss & vinegar players who took regular shifts

It’s always about Team Building in the end

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Basu&Godin mentioned several names- Johnson, Lundell, Holloway, Zegras, Necas and additional to those Patrick Laine. Honestly, I like the idea of Laine. He would cost peanuts comparing to the others and there is no big risk for us. We have that cap space anyway, we would not lose any key prospect and even if it does not work out, his contract is over in 2026. Laine needs motivation, MSL, Cole, Slaf and others around the team can be infectious.
Basu and Godin read Hfboards I can see.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It will be difficult to sign good UFAs for just one or two years, so Laine could be a good alternative, provided he can be had for peanuts like you said.
I'm not sure he fits in the team culture but he can fit contract wise.
I'd take that gamble.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
People can forget Huberdeau in Mtl. Not gonna happen.

Andersson though should be a priority next summer.
If Calgary are rebuilding we could trade them Anderson and they get back Florida’s first. That might work.

Anderson is negative value at this point, you have to pay someone to take him.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Eiserman - Dach - Sharangovich
Newhook - Beck - Roy
Tuch - Xhekaj - Coronato
I get what you are trying to do here, but that top 6 would get run-over come playoff time. From what I've seen from Sharangovich, while not small, he isn't physical.

Thankfully Hughes seems to value size and speed, along with skill. I do love the potential of that third line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
only 8 players over the last 10 years score more points then he did during his ELC. How is that overated?

There is arguments for not wanting Zegras but over rated its not a valid one
Those include names such as McDavid, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Aho, Draisaitl, Robertson, Rantaanen - not bad company

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
only 8 players over the last 10 years score more points then he did during his ELC. How is that overated?
The critics are basically saying that either:
  • Zegras' 0.5 ppg in 31 games of this year is more sustainable than his 0.8ppg the previous two seasons; or
  • points are over-rated - character matters more and they have decided they don't like his character

If Calgary are rebuilding we could trade them Anderson and they get back Florida’s first. That might work.

Anderson is negative value at this point, you have to pay someone to take him.
At this time, you are right.

I still won't pay any assets outright to lose him now.

Reactions: Rozz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad