HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The actual quote is "I see it. I see the way people talk about me sometimes, and it’s frustrating,"

He goes on to talk about teams needing both safe player and risk takers who both know when to make their moves.
LOL
Mike we need safe risk takers. :sarcasm:

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Verbeek apparently let it be known this week he’s looking to add 2 big + physical elements:

A young top-4 RDman + RW

As just posted:

Verbeek apparently let it be known to is week he wants to add a big + physical young top-4 RDman and RW
He didn't say if it will be via trade, draft or free agency. Quite possible the RD will be via the draft. Never said the adds will be NHL ready.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
It's a likely playoff team barring major injuries. I don't expect more until the following season and for a 5-6 year window or so.
Without even including the Met division having a WC spot, who do we pass as early as next year?
Boston
Toronto
Florida
Tampa
Detroit
Buffalo

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We’ll see, I think people play into that not his style idea

If that’s the case why arnt there talks about terry fowler luneau zellweger hell even carlsson?

Perhaps because there's more than smoke to the rumored friction btw PV & Zegras.

Everything I’ve seen from PV, seems like be just wants to push zegras to his full potential
& it's pretty consistent that when a player doesn't buy into the approach or share the vision of how to get the most out of their potential, a split ensues

I also don’t think PV watched the last few weeks of the season, and think ya we don’t need this guy.

Or, he thanked the heavens the season ended far better than it started so that he can extract the most value possible in offloading a player he doesn't see as a fit to be part of the leadership core he wants in place.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Without even including the Met division having a WC spot, who do we pass as early as next year?
Boston
Toronto
Florida
Tampa
Detroit
Buffalo
With that lineup IO posted of course, we can pass

Probable:
Tampa
Detroit
Buffalo
Ottawa

Maybe:
Boston, but probably a year later.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Strubble, Dvorak, WPG 1st... That's a better fit for both sides imo, though if Verbeek preferred Anderson/Mailloux, I'd pull that trigger.

I think some around here underestimate the value of KH/MSL knowing Zegras very well. The talent and competitiveness to be an elite top 6 player is evident... If they are confident that he's coachable and hungry to become the best player he can be, there's no reason to doubt it.
Yes. I'm not even the biggest Zegras fan, but the kid put up 60 plus points in 2 season on an ELC.

It's clear to anyone paying attention that KH and MSL want to play an exciting game and believe in themselves to develop players into more complete players. The steps Caufield, Newhook, Dach last year, Slaf and even Suzuki took under this staff is not to be ignored.

Zegras is a guy that hasn't hit the next level yet. If he does he could be a 80 point player.

People can not like Zegras but if Arpon is telling us that is exactly who they would go after, time to put our biases aside and accept it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
:laugh: Yeah, I realized how dumb it was after I paraphrased it. It's a me problem, not a Matheson problem.
The funny thing is I don't remember seeing too many complaints about the actual risk taking but some of what goes on during the risk. :laugh:
I've mentioned more than once during the GDT's that Kaiden Guhle is far more secure with the puck when he decides to go.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Likely they make the conference finals? No.
Ok. Your big LOL seemed to indicate that you thought otherwise.
Possible, yes; at least as possible as finishing with the 24th or 25th pick.
I don't know.
According to Moneypuck, the Jets have a 10.8% chance of making it to the 3rd round.
The Stars are at 12.3%
Florida at 48.1% and Vancouver at 44.4%

So, according to a quick calculation, i think the probability of the Habs having the 24th or 25th pick is over 60%.
You can correct me if i'm wrong.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Could see Zegras if the pick is Lindstrom or Iginla. More direct players.

Not so much if Catton or Demidov - smaller, puck handlers/distributors in transition. Just seems like more of the same unless spreading the wealth over 3 lines.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
With the 2nd knee injury to the same knee in the same season for Demi-God (two some), I think we can forget Montreal drafting the kid.

However, it could also play against Montreal getting their hands on Lindstrom if someone before us at the draft -- who had desired selecting Demidov -- decides to pick Lindstrom instead.

If Montreal selects Lindstrom, or Iginla, as you say, trading for Zegras becomes more plausible.

I'd prefer another young, 30+ goal scorer with decent size over Zegras, but is such a layer truly even available out there?

So, with Caufield with the potential to score 30+, Suzuki able to score 30+ and both Slafkovsky and Lindstrom (or Iginla) with the potential to score 30 goals, that would leave two scorers (Caufield & Lindstrom/Iginla), two scorer/playmakers (Suzuki and Slafkovsky) and two playmakers with the potential to score 20 goals on the top-6 (Dach & Zegras).

160 goals from the top-6 is pretty good.

I think that the D can get us to over 210 goals with production from Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Xhekaj.

To get over a 3 GPG average, we'd need 30+ goals from the bottom 6. I honestly believe that, over a full season, there's a 20-goal potential for both Newhook and Roy, who should be playing together on a 3rd line by the time all youngsters have developed.

That's 250 goals and slightly better than 3 goals per game. The remaining forwards should chime in ti get us closer to 265goals, if not 270 or 275.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Ok. Your big LOL seemed to indicate that you thought otherwise.

I don't know.
According to Moneypuck, the Jets have a 10.8% chance of making it to the 3rd round.
The Stars are at 12.3%
Florida at 48.1% and Vancouver at 44.4%

So, according to a quick calculation, i think the probability of the Habs having the 24th or 25th pick is over 60%.
You can correct me if i'm wrong.
Thanks for those single-team odds.

To finish 23rd, Winnipeg has to drop 4 spots which is almost impossible as the Islanders or Washington would have to make the Conference Final against Toronto or Tampa.

To finish 24th, three teams below them must make the conference finals. Assuming Islanders and Washington have no chance, it means:
  • Atlantic: not Florida 52%
  • Pacific: not Vancouver 56%
  • Central: not Dallas (or Winnipeg) 77%
So odds of 24th are 22%
and odds of 25th are 45%
and odds of 26th are 19%
and odds of 27th are 3%
and odds of 29-32 are 11%

So 25th was more likely than I thought. I should have realized the trouble Dallas was in and that the Jets' own chances to make the final four were so low.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
There. Theres only 6 teams locked in the playoffs, 7th and 8th spots are up for grabs.
Until the defense and goalies are able, with the forwards help of course, to actually keep the puck out of our net, I can't see an actual improvement in the cards, even if increased offense brings the horrific goal differential down .

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Until the defense and goalies are able, with the forwards help of course, to actually keep the puck out of our net, I can't see an actual improvement in the cards, even if increased offense brings the horrific goal differential down .

Increased offence i.e. having the puck in the opponents' end more, will cut back on defensive zone time and GA.

More experience for our young D will cut back GA as well.

Continuatiion of improved PK will also help.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Hugues can get a top 6 player through trade or UFA this summer, I think Habs will battle for a playoffs spot.
There's no reason he can't there are always a ton available.

It just depends on how good of one he wants to get, at what price.

For example, Duclair may be available for free and want to come home. Monahan and Marchessault too.... we'll see ....

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

For example, Duclair may be available for free and want to come home. Monahan and Marchessault too.... we'll see ....
I’d go for a player that wants to sign 3 years, 4 max. Following this principle, I would go for Toffoli in the 4-5 M$ range or Marchessault if he accepts 7-7,5M$. If we can trade Dvorak, I wouldn’t say no to Monahan but wouldn’t give him more than 2-3 years. That spot is Beck in 2 years imo.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

If they can't get a young player that fits the group age like Zegras, Necas, K.Johnson etc, I hope they sign a stop gap like the guys you mentionned and i would add Arvidsson to the possible player.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Here's a spicy meatball:

1st pick and Guhle to Calgary for their 1st, Vancouver's 1st, Coronato and Sharangovich.

I'm assuming here that Montreal's pick stays #5 and Calgary's #9.
Spicy indeed.Not sure…losing Guhle and possibly one of Lindstrom,Demidov,Catton or Iginla…

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So you think Zegras is a high compete player that lives in the dirty areas during games…. That’s interesting and I believe the first time I’ve heard that about him.

I think he is a highly competitive athlete, I don't think he "lives in the dirty areas". Those aren't mutually exclusive traits.

Reactions: Pat Riot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad