HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I agree that Zegras is better than Demidov. From a pure point perspective I thought he was no worse than the 3rd best player in his draft. In my keeper league if I hadn't lost the lottery i would have all the best players in that draft. I took Kakko 2nd, Caufield 5th, Zegras 12th (didn't think Cole would last until 12th). Also got Newhook. Tomasino, McMichael, Nick Robertson and filled with Boldy. I had Terry for years and he I was about to drop him when he started to produce.

I'd personally take Demidov over Zegras every time without any hesitation.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I watched him recently and his hand and vision are elite even if it is obvious that he is struggling offensively. I even liked his backchecking, he was little lost when opposing team had possession in their own end, but that could be OK if you just play him as a winger. But he was so soft and weak, totally shy of any physical contact. This is really not a player who could bring us playoff success.
I think that’s a fair write up…. His offense isn’t even really struggling(could be a lot better with some puck luck/better line mates)…. But since coming back from injury he has 8 points In 10 games…. And has been our top forward, constantly dangerous. If you ignore the small sample size to start the season, that’s pretty explainable with common sense he’s basically on par with his normal production despite low shooting percentage + bad puck luck. You see his hands and vision and how easily he gets the offensive zone and think he’d be feasting on the power play…. But he has 0 assist on powerplay. and 1 goal. Once we fix the coaching staff and give him a shooter on his line, I think he’s gunna be a 90+ point player comfortably

Defensively he’s good on back check / neutral zone, but where he can def make improvements is in the d zone…. But to his defense, most of the players on the roster look lost in our own end, I think it’s def partially a systematic issue.

As for physicality…. I don’t think you get zegras or guys like caufield/Suzuki for their physical play….. and I do think zegras isn’t afraid of board battles or even hitting when the games or more intense…. I just think he’s in a spot where all we’re playing for is to lose by less than 4 goals most nights.

Reactions: RandomTask26

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
If it was rigged, McDavid wouldn’t be in Edmonton, Vegas would’ve won the lottery when they expanded in, and we would’ve never won a lottery. I’m not worried about that.

Yeah, it's not rigged, it's silly to think so. I just have a feeling Utah is going to win it. I don't want any team who may be behind us in the draft order to win the lottery, I don't want to move down any further. That said they'd probably be the only team I'd feel ok about doing so. It'd be nice to finally get this franchise (Arizona) off of food stamps.

I just prefer if we can't win the lottery, that someone above us does.

God forbid a team like Ottawa or Jersey wins it, which would be bad enough, while knocking us down a peg as well. It would be a double whammy. This is the kind of thing I worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd personally take Demidov over Zegras every time without any hesitation.

No one who has watched Zegras, except like one dude for some reason, would legitimately want to pay the price for Zegras.

HockeyDB page is nice prior to this year, the actual style of play all over the ice is not championship hockey.

Demidov is a way better option and hopefully we are lucky enough to select him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No one who has watched Zegras, except like one dude for some reason, would legitimately want to pay the price for Zegras.

HockeyDB page is nice prior to this year, the actual style of play all over the ice is not championship hockey.

It depends on what "the price" is. Based on comparables like PLD, I wouldn't, but he may not be worth that.

Zegras has significant upside, but I wouldn't want to pay the premium for a player transitioning the to the NHL quicker. Personally, its the same situation as the Drouin trade vs trades like the Newhook trade for me - I'd rather take more risk for lesser cost than pay more for more certainty/previous performance in case it limits the organization's upside.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Please preach this more. We don’t need Zegras.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If it was rigged, McDavid wouldn’t be in Edmonton, Vegas would’ve won the lottery when they expanded in, and we would’ve never won a lottery.
Vegas didn't need any more help. They were already given the keys to the bank with the expansion rules. And as I already posted there were no favored teams in the top 10 or 12 in the McDavid, Slaf drafts. If what I posted about the Hawks moving up so many time s is true the question is what are the odds of that happening?

Have you watched Zegras play?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If it was rigged, McDavid wouldn’t be in Edmonton, Vegas would’ve won the lottery when they expanded in, and we would’ve never won a lottery.
Well, it’s like the Enigma, you couldn’t rig it every time because it would be obvious and the cat would be out of the bag and you’re busted!

You methodically rig it so it works in the long run, not in the moment.

Having said that, I don’t think it’s rigged but f*** it looks suspicious!

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I would add Iginla to that list, depending on where they draft

Catton as well. No matter what happens we're going to end up with a great forward prospect. I'm just praying we get to have the pick of the litter.

C'mon lottery balls!!

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Catton/Iginla I can't decide who I prefer... (I flip flop between the two)
Eiserman

Would be my order of preference. I wouldn't trade any of them for Zegras sans Eiserman, even then I'd probably just prefer to draft a D as they probably have more value than Zegras IMO.

Especially if all the fowards go quick at top of draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Catton as well. No matter what happens we're going to end up with a great forward prospect. I'm just praying we get to have the pick of the litter.

C'mon lottery balls!!

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Catton/Iginla I can't decide who I prefer... (I flip flop between the two)
Eiserman

Would be my order of preference. I wouldn't trade any of them for Zegras sans Eiserman, even then I'd probably just prefer to draft a D as they probably have more value than Zegras IMO.

Especially if all the fowards go quick at top of draft.
I would just go with Bobby Mac's list on draft day.....

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
It's not rigged and this is really silly, the NHL draft is audited by EY. They're not going to risk their reputation making sure certain cities get to pick the 17 year old hockey players they want.

Reactions: bcv and Eegs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Vegas didn't need any more help. They were already given the keys to the bank with the expansion rules. And as I already posted there were no favored teams in the top 10 or 12 in the McDavid, Slaf drafts. If what I posted about the Hawks moving up so many time s is true the question is what are the odds of that happening?

Have you watched Zegras play?

Yes.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Unless he is by far the best choice when Habs pick I wouldn't draft a Russian.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
At least 1 trade incoming this summer. We have too many LD. Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Struble, Hutson...

Still have Savard and Barron on the right with Reinbacher and Mailloux waiting in Laval.

Reactions: sampollock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad