Trade Proposal - Simmonds

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
Tell me about it.

I took my 13 year old brother to a cricket match he was playing in the other day... was asked 4 times by kids if I was his Dad! :laugh: I mean, I am rocking a pretty impressive beard atm but still... my 13 year old brother is like 5'9 as well and looks a lot older than he is!

When I said no and that I had just turned 24 and was his big brother one little **** asked if I was married... and when I replied no he said I should be as I was getting pretty old! :laugh:

You should have asked the kid if his mother was available.

:thumbu::thumbu:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Tell me about it.

I took my 13 year old brother to a cricket match he was playing in the other day... was asked 4 times by kids if I was his Dad! :laugh: I mean, I am rocking a pretty impressive beard atm but still... my 13 year old brother is like 5'9 as well and looks a lot older than he is!

When I said no and that I had just turned 24 and was his big brother one little **** asked if I was married... and when I replied no he said I should be as I was getting pretty old! :laugh:

You should have asked the kid if his mother was available.

:thumbu::thumbu:

Or just say to the kid.....no, I'm your real dad. :nod:

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Yeah he totally lucked into his two Stanley cups, Calder cup, Olympic gold medal, world Junior gold and memorial cup. :naughty:

Well you have to admit it took a considerable amount of luck seeing as how there have been much better players to play the game who have never won any championship, let alone that many. Richards was a good player in his prime no doubt but he was also in the right place at the right time on many occasions.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
The value isn't that bad, but why would we do this? And why would columbus do this? We already have a lot of good picks this year, and some really nice prospects. There's no urge to get more. We're a lot closer from the playoffs than some think on here. I think we'll make them next year. Our offense is very good. Our D will be revamped. We have a number one goaltender (finally!!!!!!)

Fk this rebuild crap. We are not the Oilers. We have an elite center in his prime with an elite winger in his prime, good complementary pieces, and a soon to be elite goaltender. We just need to get "a litte over average" on D and we're a good team.

People on here before the draft are like kids before Christmas who would do anything for new toys.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The value isn't that bad, but why would we do this? And why would columbus do this? We already have a lot of good picks this year, and some really nice prospects. There's no urge to get more. We're a lot closer from the playoffs than some think on here. I think we'll make them next year. Our offense is very good. Our D will be revamped. We have a number one goaltender (finally!!!!!!)

Fk this rebuild crap. We are not the Oilers. We have an elite center in his prime with an elite winger in his prime, good complementary pieces, and a soon to be elite goaltender. We just need to get "a litte over average" on D and we're a good team.

People on here before the draft are like kids before Christmas who would do anything for new toys.

Our D will be revamped, but it won't be good for a few years. We still need to add 1 more very good dman to our future core.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

This is the type of comment that drives me crazy. We were not close to making the playoffs and the team has not improved from last season. Why would we make the playoffs this year? Just wishing something does not make it so. In 2015, Giroux and Voracek were great as was Mason and the team still sucked. People need to take off the blinders and be realistic. We are a horrible team because our defense is beyond awful.

The team has major issues. Realistically, this team is not making the playoffs in 2016 and may make the playoffs in 2017 but will not truly be a Stanley Cup competitor until 2018 at the earliest.

That is why it may make sense to trade Simmonds. If you trade Simmonds, the 8th pick, e.g. Connor, should already be contributing on the NHL level by 2018, and possibly one of the second round picks. They should also have at least another 4 or 5 seasons of solid contribution to the team from those draft picks. Also, the salary cap space gained by trading Simmonds may make it easier to sign a very good defenseman, which this team must do even if Sanheim, Gostisbehere and possibly Provorov are on the team.

Finally, and this argument will undoubtedly piss people off even though it is sound, to the extent the Flyers are not making the playoffs next season, which I think is the overwhelming likely outcome, the Flyers should try to get the best draft pick possible while retaining their core of Giroux, Voracek, Mason, and Couturier. By trading Simmonds, the Flyers will have a lower seed in 2016 which should enhance their ability to get an elite prospect who may be able to join the team straight out of juniors. Simmonds is arguably part of their core and thus should not be traded.

In my opinion, Simmonds should not be regarded as an essential part of the core. An offensive core of Giroux, Voracek and Couturier is sufficient so long as the defense is reasonably strong. If you can trade Simmonds for the 8th (e.g. Connor), 34th (e.g. Bracco) and 38th (e.g. Juuslen) and get a better pick in 2016 and enhance your ability to sign an very good free agent defensman in 2016 or 2017 that is the route I would go. It is very unlikely you can trade Simmonds for Hamilton or another elite young defenseman. Very good free agent defenseman can be signed, such as Niskanen and Stralman.

I understand people don't want to trade Simmonds. Maybe your right. But to think this team is somehow going to make the playoffs next season is absolutely delusional.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't completely rule out the Flyers making the playoffs off the fact that the Eastern Conference is god awful.

I don't deem Simmonds untouchable nor am I against parting with him but this deal isn't the deal the Flyers should be looking for. If I'm moving Simmonds I want something more known that can help the team now & down the road. I don't want to gamble solely on 18 year old draft picks who haven't played an NHL game yet.

Another thing is you don't want to willingly mail in the next couple of seasons when one of your star players is up for a new contract. It could very well hurt your chances of retaining him.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I wouldn't completely rule out the Flyers making the playoffs off the fact that the Eastern Conference is god awful.

I don't deem Simmonds untouchable nor am I against parting with him but this deal isn't the deal the Flyers should be looking for. If I'm moving Simmonds I want something more known that can help the team now & down the road. I don't want to gamble solely on 18 year old draft picks who haven't played an NHL game yet.

Another thing is you don't want to willingly mail in the next couple of seasons when one of your star players is up for a new contract. It could very well hurt your chances of retaining him.

I agree. We don't trade Simmonds (+) without getting back a young top pairing D.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I agree. We don't trade Simmonds (+) without getting back a young top pairing D.

This site often overvalue's draft picks & doesn't understand the percentages of how draft picks will turn out so it's not shocking that some people feel this is a good idea.

It also completely ignores Columbus' perspective too. Their organzational strength whether it be on their NHL roster or in their prospect pool is on the wings. If they were looking to move that of package they'd likely be looking for a defensemen or center.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

All these are fair comments.

I would also add, that at the draft, draft picks are at their highest value. At the deadline, someone like Simmonds will be at his. If we so choose, we could move him at this coming deadline, and STILL add players from this draft, but they would be more developed and should have less question marks.

I just don't want to wait 3 years, have Simmonds value go down, trade him for futures, which will still be 3 years from helping. I would rather bite the bullet this year and add the return to our future core so they are ready in 3 years.

But again, that's only if the deal is overwhelming.

I would really love to add a RHD to our future core D.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
All these are fair comments.

I would also add, that at the draft, draft picks are at their highest value. At the deadline, someone like Simmonds will be at his. If we so choose, we could move him at this coming deadline, and STILL add players from this draft, but they would be more developed and should have less question marks.

I just don't want to wait 3 years, have Simmonds value go down, trade him for futures, which will still be 3 years from helping. I would rather bite the bullet this year and add the return to our future core so they are ready in 3 years.

But again, that's only if the deal is overwhelming.

I would really love to add a RHD to our future core D.

I don't see how you can move Simmonds for prospects &/or picks as the main pieces unless you know they can help you sooner than later. It's just not good asset management otherwise.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't see how you can move Simmonds for prospects &/or picks as the main pieces unless you know they can help you sooner than later. It's just not good asset management otherwise.

Because anything worth winning, will be more than 3 years away.

So in 3 years, we have a 21 year old ready to grow into their prime....or Simmonds who will be turning 30.

Us winning a cup will be on the backs of our future D, not a 30+ year old Simmonds. I love him for what he does today, but in the bigger picture of winning for the cup in 5 years, that 23 year old should be making by far the bigger impact....say if it was Connor at #8. Plus you have the other 2 picks where you are looking for diamonds in the rough.

If we made him available quietly, we would have one hell of a bidding war on our hands. I think you would get an overpayment from a team like Anaheim who is trying like hell to knock off LA and Chicago.

Also, you could always move him for more NHL Ready prospects so that they are closer to helping our team sooner.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Because anything worth winning, will be more than 3 years away.

So in 3 years, we have a 21 year old ready to grow into their prime....or Simmonds who will be turning 30.

Us winning a cup will be on the backs of our future D, not a 30+ year old Simmonds. I love him for what he does today, but in the bigger picture of winning for the cup in 5 years, that 23 year old should be making by far the bigger impact....say if it was Connor at #8. Plus you have the other 2 picks where you are looking for diamonds in the rough.

If we made him available quietly, we would have one hell of a bidding war on our hands. I think you would get an overpayment from a team like Anaheim who is trying like hell to knock off LA and Chicago.

Also, you could always move him for more NHL Ready prospects so that they are closer to helping our team sooner.

The closer the prospect is to the NHL the less room for error in their development that's what I meant by saying the need to help you sooner than later. I know this team isn't truly going to compete for a cup anytime soon but that doesn't mean you shouldn't stride to be a solid team in the mean time. It's easy to say from a fan perspective that we should put off multiple years as we don't have jobs riding on it & we're not the ones losing potential profit because there's a poor product on the ice.

You can't put all your eggs into one basket when it comes to prospects & draft picks that's why teams are always looking for a young roster player as the main piece of trades when dealing with futures. It's just too much risk to inherit. If the prospects don't hit you just gave up a 30 goal scorer for nothing real noteworthy which would be terrible asset management & could set your team back. You're just doing a terrible job of trying to minimize the risk on your end as much as you possibly can.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

agreed. While I do not think Simmer is totally untouchable I cannot see a scenario where the Flyers don't ask for an established NHL player in return.
Only way I think about a draft pick package is if he was headed for UFA and he said he will not re-sign with the Flyers, I would consider a draft pick package at the deadline. other than that, pass.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
but the metro is really tough
I don't think they're better than: nyr, nyi, wash, pitts & columbus

a simmonds trade could pull in a haul better than the carter trade...which might really set us up for serious contention in 3+ years

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
but the metro is really tough
I don't think they're better than: nyr, nyi, wash, pitts & columbus

a simmonds trade could pull in a haul better than the carter trade...which might really set us up for serious contention in 3+ years

I feel like Columbus see-saw's yearly.

NYR & NYI - Yup, better
Washington is ok, not elite
Pitts, we have their number and I honestly think they are on a slow downturn

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
In my mind, there are 7 teams clearly better than the Flyers next season:

1. Rangers
2. Tampa
3. NYI
4. Montreal
4. Washington
5. Columbus (they were missing their best defensman all season- Murray and suffered alot of injuries - they are going to be really good next season. They were also awesome down the stretch)
6. Detroit
7. Boston - missing Krejci killed them. As good as Bergeron is, Krejci is their best forward.

I think there are 3 teams that are probably better than the Flyers next season:
1. Ottawa - good defensive core with good offensive depth.
2. Pitt -
3. Florida - young core that is improving and have a good defensive core. They will probably also add during free agency or via trade.

In my mind, there are only 3 teams that the Flyers are clearly superior to next year:
1. Buffalo
2. Carolina
3. NJ

Toronto is a wild card - will be interesting to see if they improve dramatically under Babcock.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site

1. Rangers
2. Tampa
3. NYI
4. Montreal
4. Washington
5. Columbus (they were missing their best defensman all season- Murray and suffered alot of injuries - they are going to be really good next season. They were also awesome down the stretch)
6. Detroit
7. Boston - missing Krejci killed them. As good as Bergeron is, Krejci is their best forward.

2. Pitt -
3. Florida - young core that is improving and have a good defensive core. They will probably also add during free agency or via trade.

In my mind, there are only 3 teams that the Flyers are clearly superior to next year:
1. Buffalo
2. Carolina
3. NJ

Toronto is a wild card - will be interesting to see if they improve dramatically under Babcock.

I guess we could get a pick in the 10-15 range for Simmer. He's a good power play front of the net guy but that's about it. I think he had like 5 goals in 5 on 5.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Homer ****ed this team so bad. Simmonds is my fav flyer and he would be gone for a top draft pick in this draft in a heartbeat. Sign Belesky to take his spot if Hexy feels he can.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is the type of comment that drives me crazy. We were not close to making the playoffs and the team has not improved from last season. Why would we make the playoffs this year? Just wishing something does not make it so. In 2015, Giroux and Voracek were great as was Mason and the team still sucked. People need to take off the blinders and be realistic. We are a horrible team because our defense is beyond awful.

The team has major issues. Realistically, this team is not making the playoffs in 2016 and may make the playoffs in 2017 but will not truly be a Stanley Cup competitor until 2018 at the earliest.

That is why it may make sense to trade Simmonds. If you trade Simmonds, the 8th pick, e.g. Connor, should already be contributing on the NHL level by 2018, and possibly one of the second round picks. They should also have at least another 4 or 5 seasons of solid contribution to the team from those draft picks. Also, the salary cap space gained by trading Simmonds may make it easier to sign a very good defenseman, which this team must do even if Sanheim, Gostisbehere and possibly Provorov are on the team.

Finally, and this argument will undoubtedly piss people off even though it is sound, to the extent the Flyers are not making the playoffs next season, which I think is the overwhelming likely outcome, the Flyers should try to get the best draft pick possible while retaining their core of Giroux, Voracek, Mason, and Couturier. By trading Simmonds, the Flyers will have a lower seed in 2016 which should enhance their ability to get an elite prospect who may be able to join the team straight out of juniors. Simmonds is arguably part of their core and thus should not be traded.

In my opinion, Simmonds should not be regarded as an essential part of the core. An offensive core of Giroux, Voracek and Couturier is sufficient so long as the defense is reasonably strong. If you can trade Simmonds for the 8th (e.g. Connor), 34th (e.g. Bracco) and 38th (e.g. Juuslen) and get a better pick in 2016 and enhance your ability to sign an very good free agent defensman in 2016 or 2017 that is the route I would go. It is very unlikely you can trade Simmonds for Hamilton or another elite young defenseman. Very good free agent defenseman can be signed, such as Niskanen and Stralman.

I understand people don't want to trade Simmonds. Maybe your right. But to think this team is somehow going to make the playoffs next season is absolutely delusional.

There is no reason to think that at this time. The could very well make the playoffs next season. A few reasons why:

-Intelligent head coach rather than blockhead Berube
-Lecavalier distraction likely gone
-Medvedev upgrades our defense
-Morin/Gostisbehere could be a factor
-Laughton could be a factor
-Penalty kill can only improve
-Less shootouts due to 3 on 3 OT, where our record was a league worst 3-11

It's not far-fetched to think we could squeak in this season.

Turn-arounds happen every single season in the NHL.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Berube was an awful coach, but he was not the main reason the Flyers did not make the playoffs.

Their defense is horrible: their "top 6" defenseman are Streit, Del-Zotto, McDonald, Grossman, Schenn and Schulz. Their better defensman, Del-Zotto and Schultz, could barely get a job in the NHL last season. This year, their #1 defenseman, Streit, will be turning 38.

That is not a winning team. You cannot win in the NHL without good defenseman who can quickly move the puck up the ice. Even if Ghost or Sanheim make the team, which is especially unlikely given how many defenseman they have signed, it is unrealistic to think they will contribute meaningfully as rookies or even have the opportunity to contribute meaningifully when a coach has the rookies on a short leash.

They will suck in 2016. That is the reality.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

1. Rangers
2. Tampa
3. NYI
4. Montreal
4. Washington
6. Detroit

2. Pitt -

1. Buffalo
2. Carolina
3. NJ

Boston is on the decline and with Julien still at the helm, I don't the trend of decline continues this upcoming season. I think Boston and Philly will finish very close in the standings.

Detroit has question marks as well. Babcock is gone. We don't know how much that will effect them. They have questions marks in goal with the Howard/Mrazek controversy. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are 36 and 34 respectively. Their numbers are already on the decline. Sure, Nyquist, Tatar, and Jurco have done a nice job supporting but can any of those guys carry a team like Datsyuk or Z?

On paper, Columbus should not be a much better team than the Flyers. They have played great as a team and with arguably the best work ethic in the league. Whose to say Hakstol won't transform the Flyers into a team like that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad