Trade Proposal - Simmonds

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I know he is a good player, young and locked up on a cap friendly contract for a number of years. But, given that the Flyers are not likely making the playoffs next year (that is, they did not underperform this year so much as suck due to their bad defense), would you consider the following trade:

Flyers
8th overall (e.g. Connor)
34th overall (e.g. Bracco)
38th overall (e.g. Juulsen)

Columbus
Simmonds

Obviously Simmonds is a good player, but if you could get an A- prospect in Connor and two B+ prospects in Bracco and Juuslen I personally would do it. I think at least two of the players they would draft would become NHL players and one of them has a better than 50-50 chance of being better than Simmonds.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Columbus is desperate for defense and loaded with young forwards. Why would they do this? This is not realistic imo.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
blow it up.

trade voracek, grioux and simmer. COme out of this draft with Eichel, conner, provorov, and crouse.

Only semi kidding.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
blow it up.

trade voracek, grioux and simmer. COme out of this draft with Eichel, conner, provorov, and crouse.

Only semi kidding.
And I semi agree. I have thought about how long a rebuild is going to take and if those three will be as good then as they are now. Not sold an moving all 3 but I'm not opposed to moving one or two. Again. Semi serious. Haha.

This trade the OP offers I may do however I'd rather use Simmonds to move up instead of stockpiling picks

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Simmonds has a ton of value. I'm still not sure Flyers make out that well, they essentially get 3 unknowns.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
if yr moving simmonds, it's for a guy like dougie hamilton/young studly proven dman

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I don't get the whole blow it up and rebuild mentality. We have good pieces in place, 3 **** forwards and a bad crop d. The off season just begun. What happens if Schenn grossman and Vinny are moved this summer? What happens when we don't have the moron BERUBE behind the bench? I'm not being the prototypical fan assuming we are a cup contender but we also are a few pieces away from a playoff team and having a real coach changes a lot. But yes let's trade one of our 3 best forwards. Let's not make the playoffs for 3 years for assets that could be and hope we become a contender in 4 years. This isn't buffalo edm or Arizona. We have the pieces

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I don't get the whole blow it up and rebuild mentality. We have good pieces in place, 3 **** forwards and a bad crop d. The off season just begun. What happens if Schenn grossman and Vinny are moved this summer? What happens when we don't have the moron BERUBE behind the bench? I'm not being the prototypical fan assuming we are a cup contender but we also are a few pieces away from a playoff team and having a real coach changes a lot. But yes let's trade one of our 3 best forwards. Let's not make the playoffs for 3 years for assets that could be and hope we become a contender in 4 years. This isn't buffalo edm or Arizona. We have the pieces

Idk there's so many unknowns and the real question was GM would be how long realistically will this take. I hope not long but if Phoenix came calling dangling a guy like boedker and #3 for simmer and #7 I'd absolutely consider it.

Our real hope right now is the defensmen develop the way we hope and do so quickly otherwise those 3 players may waste their best years. The benefit is Giroux voracek Simmonds and couturier are all on the young side so there's no immediate pressure to move them at all.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Idk there's so many unknowns and the real question was GM would be how long realistically will this take. I hope not long but if Phoenix came calling dangling a guy like boedker and #3 for simmer and #7 I'd absolutely consider it.

Our real hope right now is the defensmen develop the way we hope and do so quickly otherwise those 3 players may waste their best years. The benefit is Giroux voracek Simmonds and couturier are all on the young side so there's no immediate pressure to move them at all.

That's all you can do, build from the draft and hope you are getting it right.

Nobody can trade for 6 #1 d-men and 12 Top 3 forwards.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The Flyers are essentially in a re-build mode already. They have a youngish forward group, they have LOTs of young d-men talent coming up. They have a 27 year old goalie entering his prime.

We are blowing up a 26 year olds for the hope that a bunch of 21 year olds work?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And I semi agree. I have thought about how long a rebuild is going to take and if those three will be as good then as they are now. Not sold an moving all 3 but I'm not opposed to moving one or two. Again. Semi serious. Haha.

This trade the OP offers I may do however I'd rather use Simmonds to move up instead of stockpiling picks

Voracek is 25 years old.
Wayne Simmonds is 26 years old.
Claude Giroux is 27 years old.

Something tells me, they still have something left in the tank lol.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would trade Simmonds for the right deal or one that blew me away.

I keep thinking, that without those 2 generational players, that #8 pick would be like a usual top 6. And those 2 early 2nd rounders gives us 2 more chances to find a diamond in the rough and REALLY build thru the draft.

If that #8 team was in the West and not Columbus, I might be more inclined to do it.

So torn on loving Simmonds for what he is today vs building even more thru the draft to add to our future D core.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
IMHO it just seems like people are getting pick happy. We have tons and could probably land 2-3 more baring some deals. Out of our 4 d prospects not all will pan out probably. Out of all our picks this year 2 may work 3 if we are lucky. All we are doing it trading someone that will net us 25 goals for the next 3 years for a maybe and a wish. I don't see the value. If we were in nyrs positions with not picks in the 1st 2 rounds the next 2 years I consider it. I wouldn't throw in the towel now and hope for 3 years down the road

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
why on earth do you trade a legit NHL player for draft picks that you HOPE work out ??

holy **** no sale...

Yeah, if he were approaching 30 I'd say sure, but Simmer is still a young player, and a big part of the leadership group. People seem to just gloss over that anytime they throw his name around.

I also don't think it's going to take as long for this team to become a contender as most do.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
and in every middle school & high school in the universe

Tell me about it.

I took my 13 year old brother to a cricket match he was playing in the other day... was asked 4 times by kids if I was his Dad! :laugh: I mean, I am rocking a pretty impressive beard atm but still... my 13 year old brother is like 5'9 as well and looks a lot older than he is!

When I said no and that I had just turned 24 and was his big brother one little **** asked if I was married... and when I replied no he said I should be as I was getting pretty old! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad