Trade Proposal - Simmonds

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Berube was an awful coach, but he was not the main reason the Flyers did not make the playoffs.

Their defense is horrible: their "top 6" defenseman are Streit, Del-Zotto, McDonald, Grossman, Schenn and Schulz. Their better defensman, Del-Zotto and Schultz, could barely get a job in the NHL last season. This year, their #1 defenseman, Streit, will be turning 38.

That is not a winning team. You cannot win in the NHL without good defenseman who can quickly move the puck up the ice. Even if Ghost or Sanheim make the team, which is especially unlikely given how many defenseman they have signed, it is unrealistic to think they will contribute meaningfully as rookies or even have the opportunity to contribute meaningifully when a coach has the rookies on a short leash.

They will suck in 2016. That is the reality.

Gross and/or Schenn will be gone and you're forgetting Medvedev.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I guess we could get a pick in the 10-15 range for Simmer. He's a good power play front of the net guy but that's about it. I think he had like 5 goals in 5 on 5.

Or, you know, 14? But 5, 14, what's the difference? He only scores 50 percent of his goals in even strength! Trade him now

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Gross and/or Schenn will be gone and you're forgetting Medvedev.

everybody that talks flyer defense is forgetting medvedev...hes hardly gets mentioned. watching taped fin/rus last night must say he looks impressive. looks great on the point quarterbacking pp. big dude. moves skates/great. looks like big smart talented dman to me.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The defense is mostly the same as it has been since we lost Pronger.

We were a better team then because we had more than 1 line that could do anything dangerous on offense.

We can easily make the playoffs next year, but a contender we are not.

I'm not in favor of trading Simmonds for a bunch of NHL unknowns, unless it's an absurd amount, 4 #1s or something.

If probably move him straight up (plus a small add) for Hamilton or Jones, because that moves our compete window forward.

WhatIsTwoWayHockey

Jun 25, 2015
Flyers need defense, but getting rid of Simmonds for defense creates another problem in my opinion (goal scoring). Outside of Giroux and Vorachek, Simmonds has been our next best goal scorer last two seasons (he led the team).

I hear they're looking towards goaltending for later in the draft & we have a lot of defensive prospects that are getting praise, just have to give them time to develop.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Simmonds for Hamilton then draft Rantanen 7th to replace Simmonds.

It would be painful, but I would do it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers need defense, but getting rid of Simmonds for defense creates another problem in my opinion (goal scoring). Outside of Giroux and Vorachek, Simmonds has been our next best goal scorer last two seasons (he led the team).

I hear they're looking towards goaltending for later in the draft & we have a lot of defensive prospects that are getting praise, just have to give them time to develop.

There's also the small matter of fitting his $7+m extension in under the cap this year and next.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Even if ou go along with this scenario, Rantanen isn't a replacement for Simmonds at all. One of Rantanens biggest question marks is his goal scoring.... He's a playmaker. You don't replace a goalscoring winger with a playmaking one.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Even if ou go along with this scenario, Rantanen isn't a replacement for Simmonds at all. One of Rantanens biggest question marks is his goal scoring.... He's a playmaker. You don't replace a goalscoring winger with a playmaking one.

Playmaker Voracek scored 22 goals last year. Giroux, who is also primarily a playmaker, scored 25 goals. Rantanen will likely score fewer goals than Simmonds, 20+ range, but his playmaking skills will allow his teamates to score more. Rantanen also has an excellent shot and good size.

WhatIsTwoWayHockey

Jun 25, 2015
There's also the small matter of fitting his $7+m extension in under the cap this year and next.

Simmonds is a proven product on the ice and his numbers have been improving/consistent. He's a strong forward that protects our guys as well.

It's a shame we have so many piss poor contracts.

But, Luke Schenn is probably gone along with Grossmann, Umberger, and Lecavalier in the next two years (if not sooner)

flyers-salary-cap-pie-chart.0.png

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Playmaker Voracek scored 22 goals last year. Giroux, who is also primarily a playmaker, scored 25 goals. Rantanen will likely score fewer goals than Simmonds, 20+ range, but his playmaking skills will allow his teamates to score more. Rantanen also has an excellent shot and good size.

The problem we've had for a while is too many playmakers and not enough goal scorers. Replacing our top goal scorer with another playmaker doesn't fill the hole. Also, if you expect Rantanen to score 20 goals next year then you're in for a surprise.

WhatIsTwoWayHockey

Jun 25, 2015
The problem we've had for a while is too many playmakers and not enough goal scorers. Replacing our top goal scorer with another playmaker doesn't fill the hole. Also, if you expect Rantanen to score 20 goals next year then you're in for a surprise.

I agree.

God fordbid we actually got a legit sniper to play with Giroux and Vorachek. Hell might freeze over, but again the problem with that is we don't have the money.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

really as simple as that. we need someone who can put the puck in the ****ing net and do it consistently.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
really as simple as that. we need someone who can put the puck in the ****ing net and do it consistently.

Leading goal scorers last 5 Stanley Cup champions

2015-Chicago-Toews-28
2014-Los Angeles-Kopitar-29
2013-Chicago-Kane/Toews-23 in 47 (best pace but likely would taper off)
2012-Los Angeles-Kopitar-25
2011-Boston-Lucic-30

You don't need a 40-50 goal sniper to win a Cup.

You need a well-balanced offense with a great defense and goaltending.

Rantanen would not only chip in 20-25 goals on his own, but he would MAKE HIS LINEMATES BETTER and thus make our offense more well-balanced.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Simmonds is a proven product on the ice and his numbers have been improving/consistent. He's a strong forward that protects our guys as well.

It's a shame we have so many piss poor contracts.

But, Luke Schenn is probably gone along with Grossmann, Umberger, and Lecavalier in the next two years (if not sooner)

flyers-salary-cap-pie-chart.0.png

I think this us a great way to look at cap space of a team. Puts things into perspective.

Sad who our 3, 4, and 5 highest paid are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad