Speculation: Trade Proposal - Central Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's no way the Kings trade Carter AND their 1st for Galchenyuk and a late 2nd...

If anything it'd take Galchenyuk + 25 for Carter and LA's 2nd

That would be a terrible trade! Your trading a 3rd overall pick who was the best player in his draft year. He's 23 and heading into his prime years for a 32 year old guy signed till 37 and entering decline years.

Count the age gap... 8+ years FFS! You think the Subban for Weber trade was bad? If you trade Galchenyuk (age 23) and a 1st for Carter (age 32) and a 2nd, your going to be hung in Montreal!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
not really, we remove 6 million with only 1 year left, and we add 11+ million with several years left. Doing that means not being able to resign Price/Pacioretty

I'm not sure how you've figured that

I mean seriously, do you really envision a scenario where the Habs are like

"Gee, we really wanna bring you back Carey...there's just no money available"

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
we're deeper than Boston methinks. As well as Ott, Tor (Marner, Matthews, Nylander dont count no more) and TBL (who I am not aware of one good prospect)

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
The Habs need to find a top pairing mobile damn to play with Weber.

Markov if he re-signs give him a pairing with Petry or bottom pairing minutes with top PP minutes and replace him on the PK.

Emelin / Beaulieu / Nesterov gone.

???? Weber
Markov Petry
Jerabek Benn
Davidson

Upfront King / Martinsen / Flynn / Plekanec all gone.

They need to address the top 6 center via trade because the market is really bad this year. Doubt Thornton signs with the Habs. Figure out what you do with Galchenyuk fast. It's either he plays center or you trade him for one. Can't have him keep playing musical chairs up front and get him off the 4th line as that just hurts his value if you plan to deal him for a natural center.

Re-sign Radulov.
Sign Justin Williams

Pacioretty Galchenyuk? Radulov
Lehkonen Danault Williams
Byron Shaw Gallagher
Hudon McCarron Mitchell
Scherbak

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Carter would be awful. He's not a 1st line centre. Don't let his numbers fool you. Yes he's a great player, but he's not a guy that could lead an offence, he works perfectly well playing behind Kopitar. He'd get eaten alive in Montreal. He doesn't have the personality type to endure being "the" guy.

get25

Oct 17, 2015

Markov if he re-signs give him a pairing with Petry or bottom pairing minutes with top PP minutes and replace him on the PK.

???? Weber
Markov Petry
Jerabek Benn
Davidson

They need to address the top 6 center via trade because the market is really bad this year. Doubt Thornton signs with the Habs. Figure out what you do with Galchenyuk fast. It's either he plays center or you trade him for one. Can't have him keep playing musical chairs up front and get him off the 4th line as that just hurts his value if you plan to deal him for a natural center.

Re-sign Radulov.
Sign Justin Williams

Byron Shaw Gallagher
Hudon McCarron Mitchell
Scherbak
Kind of like this.
Galchenyuk had a pace to be 11th in points.

Needs to improve FO (31st among 32 centers with 40+ points).
He needs to improve FO but Hanzal was bad in FO till he reached 25.

Scherback can go back to AHL until he is ready.
For now, DLR would be claimed on waivers if he is sent back to AHL.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yes sign Justin Williams so he can score in the series clinching games the Habs won't ever be a part of.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I'm not sure how you've figured that

I mean seriously, do you really envision a scenario where the Habs are like

"Gee, we really wanna bring you back Carey...there's just no money available"

Well they could resign him, but that just means some other players have to be traded to make room. Guys like Gallagher, Danault, Shaw, Lehkonen, or Markov might have to leave.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Price gets what? An extra $2-3M from what he is making today? Patch gets what? An extra $3-4M from what he is making today? That is a total of $5-7M of cap space we need to re sign both these guys (Price after 1 year and Patch after 2 years). Subtract yearly Salary Cap increases of $1M-2M and this alone almost covers what you need to re sign both players.

Salary Cap is not a major concern. This also doesn't factor that Emelin's contract is done after this year and guys like McCarron, DLR, Hudon, Sergachev, Juulsen, Scherbak will give you cap relieve for the next 5 years!

Also: Galchenyuk = Carter and Duchene = Pleky in salary. It's really a lateral move salary wise in that 3 way trade.

Assuming the increase of the salary cap covers most of what Price and Patch will get, and that Carters money is made up by Galchenyuk + Emelin salary, and Duchene's salary is made up by Plekanec's.

That still leaves us with Lehkonen, Danault, and Radulov who will each want an increase in salary. Radulov got 5.7 million last year, he's likely to get 7+ million on his next contract. Lehkonen is only getting 800 K right now, he will get a huge increase in 2 years. Danault is only getting 900 K right now, he will also want a huge increase of salary in a year.

Thay could possibly be a total increase of 5 million for these 3 players.

You also have Jerabek, whos getting 9 k next year. Who knows how good he is, but if hes top 4 good and we want to resign him, he will get a lot more on his next contract.

MB has done a great job on signing players on a great contract (patch, gally, byron,), but we cant assume that it will be the case for the other players.

Also you dont want to be too tight to the cap. Having around 1 Million less to have flexibility is important too.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Carter would be awful. He's not a 1st line centre. Don't let his numbers fool you. Yes he's a great player, but he's not a guy that could lead an offence, he works perfectly well playing behind Kopitar. He'd get eaten alive in Montreal. He doesn't have the personality type to endure being "the" guy.

I'd take him as a #2 if his contract wasn't ****.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

???? Weber
Markov Petry
Jerabek Benn
Davidson

Re-sign Radulov.
Sign Justin Williams

Byron Shaw Gallagher
Hudon McCarron Mitchell
Scherbak

That line up will end us up in the lottery and good things happen in the lottery. Just ask the devils

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
That would be a terrible trade! Your trading a 3rd overall pick who was the best player in his draft year. He's 23 and heading into his prime years for a 32 year old guy signed till 37 and entering decline years.

Count the age gap... 8+ years FFS! You think the Subban for Weber trade was bad? If you trade Galchenyuk (age 23) and a 1st for Carter (age 32) and a 2nd, your going to be hung in Montreal!

I'm not saying that I'd do that trade, I wouldn't, but that's the kind of return the Kings will ask for.

Galchenyuk isn't the best player from his draft class, that's Forsberg. However, he is still very young and has potential. I wouldn't trade him but if we were to move him for someone like Carter, that's what it would take.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Assuming the increase of the salary cap covers most of what Price and Patch will get, and that Carters money is made up by Galchenyuk + Emelin salary, and Duchene's salary is made up by Plekanec's.

That still leaves us with Lehkonen, Danault, and Radulov who will each want an increase in salary. Radulov got 5.7 million last year, he's likely to get 7+ million on his next contract. Lehkonen is only getting 800 K right now, he will get a huge increase in 2 years. Danault is only getting 900 K right now, he will also want a huge increase of salary in a year.

Thay could possibly be a total increase of 5 million for these 3 players.

You also have Jerabek, whos getting 9 k next year. Who knows how good he is, but if hes top 4 good and we want to resign him, he will get a lot more on his next contract.

MB has done a great job on signing players on a great contract (patch, gally, byron,), but we cant assume that it will be the case for the other players.

Also you dont want to be too tight to the cap. Having around 1 Million less to have flexibility is important too.

The cap problems you are presenting are all minor and can be worked around. They are not reasons why we should not add offensive players like Carter and Duchene

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not saying that I'd do that trade, I wouldn't, but that's the kind of return the Kings will ask for.

Galchenyuk isn't the best player from his draft class, that's Forsberg. However, he is still very young and has potential. I wouldn't trade him but if we were to move him for someone like Carter, that's what it would take.

Kings would seriously think about the deal I proposed. They get younger and acquire Galchenyuk in his prime years. If no deal, it's simple for the Habs... we move on

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The cap problems you are presenting are all minor and can be worked around. They are not reasons why we should not add offensive players like Carter and Duchene

What? How is finding 5+ million in capspace minor?
We can add offensive players like Duchene and Carter, but your trade proposal didn't send enough salary to the other team.. You traded contract that were done or had 1 year left for long term contracts. Your plan works only for like the next 2 years, after that the habs will have cap problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce