Speculation: Trade out of the #2 spot

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If Couturier is the same talent level as either Sam why does Buffalo even make this trade? We could have the Sam's under RFA longer.

because it accelerates the rebuild.
Hypothetically... in 3-4 years....you'd end up with a 25 yr old Couturier, a 23 yr old Girgensons, and a 21 year old McDavid....

Free agency isnt an issue... these types of players will be franchise contract type players...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I heard that there was discussion about a trade proposal from the trade board.

A lot of Flyers fans think very highly of Sean Couturier. He wasn't expected to make it out of camp his rookie year, but he obviously did and hasn't looked back.

In his first NHL game, against the defending champ Bruins on their banner night in Boston, he took a defensive zone draw protecting a one goal lead with less than 1 minute on the board. He won the draw, and they won the game. That sticks out to me now because he does little things like that all the time that most people wouldn't think twice of, but it's routine for him even at the age of 21.

I read earlier in this thread that "he had 0 points in 7 playoff games" this year. That's true, but he was also noticeably struggling most of the series. He had a sports hernia surgery right after the season, so one can say that his game was obviously effected by the injury.

He's 21, and does the majority of the heavy lifting among Flyers forwards. Him and Matt Read were the two mainstays on the 3rd line this year, with a revolving door on the other wing spot. He played some of the tougher minutes in all of hockey this year among forwards.

He is incredible defensively. I can't wait to see the Selke voting for this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he snuck in the top 10. Quite a few voters had him on their ballot. And he's so good defensively because he has such a high hockey IQ. He doesn't have the greatest athletic ability (average skater), but he is always a step ahead of the play, seemingly aware of where the puck is going to go at all times.

And he's easily one of the top PK'ers in the NHL already.

His offensive game is still a work in progress. I think the fact that he was with plugs for 2 seasons has stunted his offensive growth a little bit (or at least slowed it down), but he is improving. He's more of a playmaker than goal scorer, but he has a good wrist shot when he's able to get it off.

Ultimately, I think he'll be a Patrice Bergeron type player throughout his prime. 50-60 point, 2nd PP, 1st unit PK, and top 5-10 defensively. Those players do not grow on trees, and are incredibly valuable to a team that wants to contend in the playoffs.

Just thought I'd share my input on Couturier from a Flyers fan.

This. Great post. Thanks.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Vancouver fan coming in peace.

Just curious as to your thoughts on Van sending some/all of the assets from a Kesler trade to Buffalo for the 2nd.

So far we've seen stuff like 10th, 24th plus a variety of prospects and one or two roster players.

What would Van need to add to the 10th and 24th to get the 2nd? Or Sutter, Pouliot and the 2014 1st? Kesler would've been moved, but everyone else is fair game with the exception of the twins and Horvat.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Just curious as to your thoughts on Van sending some/all of the assets from a Kesler trade to Buffalo for the 2nd.

So far we've seen stuff like 10th, 24th plus a variety of prospects and one or two roster players.

What would Van need to add to the 10th and 24th to get the 2nd? Or Sutter, Pouliot and the 2014 1st? Kesler would've been moved, but everyone else is fair game with the exception of the twins and Horvat.

What Buffalo needs above and beyond anything is high-end talent, specifically high-end forward talent.

I don't see anything there that resembles high-end forward talent.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
We need first line scoring or to a lessor extent a great two-way player that can add 50 or so points. At this point the team needs high end talent and not more picks and/or average players that fill the middle of a roster. Some people here like Horvat and would consider it with him but given your scenario most would say no.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
What Buffalo needs above and beyond anything is high-end talent, specifically high-end forward talent.

I don't see anything there that resembles high-end forward talent.

What about a player like Hunter Shinkaruk? He's high-risk/high-reward but possibly the closest thing we have in the system to high-end talent. Niklas Jensen as well.

Something along the lines of Sutter, 22nd overall and Shinkaruk?

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
What about a player like Hunter Shinkaruk? He's high-risk/high-reward but possibly the closest thing we have in the system to high-end talent. Niklas Jensen as well.

Something along the lines of Sutter, 22nd overall and Shinkaruk?

No thanks. Rather take our pick out of the top 4 guys in the draft.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

10, 24 , Sutter, Pouliot, these pieces are nice, but they don't do much for the sabres. Sutter looks to be a good 3rd line center, maybe put in the right situation he's a respectable 2nd line center. Pouliot is a great prospect, but with Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, and McCabe already in the system it's already looking pretty crowded on the blueline. 10 + 24 gives us two good pieces to add into the pipeline as opposed to one great one. I'll take the one great one, sabres need more high-end franchise type talent, not more depth.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Only way I consider moving this pick (outside of a biblical overpayment) is if a Sam goes first overall. I get on the horn with Edmonton, move back one spot, pick up another asset and take the other Sam at 3.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Fair enough. Appreciate the honesty. I do believe Van has the pieces to move up to 1st overall, however unrealistic that scenario is. And then of course it's extremely unrealistic to then get another top 3 pick

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Fair enough. Appreciate the honesty. I do believe Van has the pieces to move up to 1st overall, however unrealistic that scenario is. And then of course it's extremely unrealistic to then get another top 3 pick

Any even possible trade would have to include your 6th. Something like 6th+10th+Horvat, something like that. Obviously you wouldn't want to do that, which I understand, but if we're moving back from the top end guys, we would need those kind of pieces.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com

from my perspective, Vancouver doesn't have the ammunition to get the #2 pick from us. If Horvat is off the table then so is your dream of moving up. However, I am not sure the Sabres have interest in Horvat.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Only way I consider moving this pick (outside of a biblical overpayment) is if a Sam goes first overall. I get on the horn with Edmonton, move back one spot, pick up another asset and take the other Sam at 3.

I agree completely.

Personally if Reinhart gets nabbed first, I take Ekblad with joy and move on.

Myers, Ekblad, Zhardov, Ristolainen, McCabe, Pysyk and company, I have plenty of talent that could down the road yield me a high end forward.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Trading #2 for Couturier would make more sense to me if we were guaranteed McDavid or Eichel next year.

I would love to land Couturier, wanted us to make a move to get him in his draft year. I am just not willing to give up our 1st this year or next to get him. I think there are a lot of strong arguements on here for what his ceiling could be. I would even be willing to explore trade options that included Myers or Hoff.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Seriously why would the sabres want to give up this asset?

They earned the high pick and will get either Ekblad or Reinhart, both of whom look like sure fire top line/top pair guys. Why would we want to give that up. Now if Winnipeg offered Evander Kane, #9 pick plus, that might make me think twice.

Nevertheless, I love Reinhart's play-making ability. I'd rather have him wearing the blue and gold than Ekblad but if we have to take the monster mobile defence, fine.

I'm sure Tim Murray is receiving plenty of phone calls about the #2, perhaps he has had offers, but I doubt he moves this pick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The added piece won't be both the risk that the Oilers go Sam _ instead of Ekblad.

The Oilers need a center to go with RNH just as badly as they need a stud D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad