Speculation: Trade out of the #2 spot

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Gare Joyce at Sportsnet has an article up that says Florida and Buffalo have received multiple offers for their picks in the upcoming draft.

What would it take for the Sabres to move down in the draft? Would you consider it if they could get ANOTHER first round pick going into next year's draft as part of a package?

Or is the pick untouchable in your mind?

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
Not untouchable, but I really don't want to give it up. Buffalo has been starved of 'elite' talent for years and we're finally in a position to get it without losing assets.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I would move the pick for MacKinnon.

So yeah, it's functionally untouchable.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Gare Joyce at Sportsnet has an article up that says Florida and Buffalo have received multiple offers for their picks in the upcoming draft.

What would it take for the Sabres to move down in the draft? Would you consider it if they could get ANOTHER first round pick going into next year's draft as part of a package?

Or is the pick untouchable in your mind?

I wouldn't trade it for assets further down the road (2015 pick)

I would trade it if the return was a very young player that was equal or better than Reinhart.

Hypothetically... Florida takes Bennett #1.... if Holmgren (the king of crazy trades) desperately wants Ekblad... and is willing to give us Couturier+ for #2. I take it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I have never been one to view assets as untouchable except for a select few, everything has a price. I think you have to always explore all options, if a deal knocks your socks off you give it consideration.

If I could get say a 20 year old player for some reason who has just as high of potential and is maybe alittle further along I might consider something around that. But, I don't see many available players at 20 years old I would rather have then Bennett or a couple of the other top guys.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't see a team offering up a deal that makes me want to pull the trigger unless the Sabres love one Sam way more than the other, the Sam they love goes #1, and the phones blow up with teams like Calgary, NYI, and Vancouver wanting to get ahead of the Oilers to take Ekblad.

The variables that we don't know about are what the Sabres think of the top 3 or 4 prospects, how far a drop they feel there is between that top group and the next tier, and what the offers are.

I just expect that if Murray moves out of that pick, it will be for a heck of a package.

But, regardless of teams calling, I also expect Murray to use that 2nd pick. How many times has he talked about wanting higher picks vs a ton of picks?

That's the whole reason behind the talk about packaging up the 2nds to get another 1st.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I would hate to move the pick that drafted Sam Bennett/Reinhart and they become franchise centers for a second line 2-way center in return and a maybe with the 17th pick. I do like Couturier, but I think he fits the bill more as a secondary scorer scorer who excels defensively like a Jordan Staal.

Last edited:

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I think it is more likely we make moves to acquire another pick in the top 15. I just can't see any team blowing our minds with a huge offer for #2.
As for the proposal with the Flyers, is Couturier worth giving up a Sam? Two years ago I would have done it but not now.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I wouldn't trade it for assets further down the road (2015 pick)

I would trade it if the return was a very young player that was equal or better than Reinhart.

Hypothetically... Florida takes Bennett #1.... if Holmgren (the king of crazy trades) desperately wants Ekblad... and is willing to give us Couturier+ for #2. I take it.

I don't know about Couturier specifically but I agree with the general framework and he's the type of player they should look at in such a move. If they move down, I'd like it for now asset(s), not to further kick this thing down the road.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I think trading the first rounder would be a PR nightmare for the Sabres. Most of us endured the 13/14 team knowing that there would be a very high pick as payoff. Unless the return was blockbusteresque, it would be a tough pill to swallow.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Couturier, #17
for

?

No where close....

When has a team traded out of the top 5 sitting at #2????

It has never happened.

From PHL to do this they would need to include a few more pieces like 2015 1st + something else.

This team needs first line talent---Couturier is not 1st line talent and you arent going to get 1st line talent at #17.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think trading the first rounder would be a PR nightmare for the Sabres. Most of us endured the 13/14 team knowing that there would be a very high pick as payoff. Unless the return was blockbusteresque, it would be a tough pill to swallow.

Then flipping picks with #3, or #4 will not be an issue at all. The return needs to be big to justify a trade out of the top 5.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If you look at the history of trades that actually happened within the top 4, the return is very little. It's not worth it. Trading out of the top 4 is a non-starter from my perspective. I guess if Murray has a guy he grades as the best prospect and is certain he can get him at a spot then whatever, but that's not particularly likely. I don't see this happening. We don't need more 2nd round picks.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Buffalo trading to #3 or #4 is plausible in some limited scenarios.

If TM is really high on LD a swap with Calgary could happen. I'd trust him to get the player he wanted at a reasonable slot in relation to other teams evaluations. But I'd also expect CGY to be aware of what was going on and not give up too much in such a situation.

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to find a trade with NYI such as:

X + 2015 NYI 1st

for

2014 NYI 1st?

I don't know what the frame work for such a deal would be. Stewart and Stafford are big wingers but NYI really want a responsible defenseman who can play now.

BUF/NYI probably aren't good trading partners (although that didn't stop the TV deal) without things getting really wacky like something based around Erhoff for Reinhart.

If LD is available at 5 I'd do everything I could to get that pick.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Trading out of #2 is the worst idea I have ever heard. Our only need in our pipeline is elite high end potential superstar prospects and what do we do? Trade out of the spot for it. If Tampa offers Drouin for #2, sure. Not taking a pick in the mid teens and a 2nd liner at best for Reinhart.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
No where close....

When has a team traded out of the top 5 sitting at #2????

It has never happened.

From PHL to do this they would need to include a few more pieces like 2015 1st + something else.

This team needs first line talent---Couturier is not 1st line talent and you arent going to get 1st line talent at #17.

It's close for me.

I don't care about trading "out of the top 5"... I care about getting the right players. If Draft Year Couturier was in this years class, He'd be in the conversation for #1 overall.

We have different definitions of 1st line talent.

If you "knew" that at 25 yrs old (when the Sabres window begins to open) Sean Couturier's game would be somewhere between Ryan Oreilly and Anze Kopitar.... would you trade #2 for him?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad