Proposal: Trade Ottawa/Pittsburgh

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
This is a bad trade for Pittsburgh, expansion draft looming or not.

Fleury for Anderson + Puempel is probably fair value, but if I'm Ottawa I'm taking advantage of the situation the Pens are in. They absolutely have to get rid of Fleury if they want to keep Murray, I dont see Las Vegas passing an opportunity to claim him. Sure Pittsburgh could try and compensate Las Vegas to keep Murrray, but they'll most likely end up giving up more than a 2nd. That's why I'm fine with giving up a 2nd, it's a fine price to keep Murray in Pittsburgh.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This is a bad trade for Pittsburgh, expansion draft looming or not.

The market for goalies with NMCs with an expansion draft looming is at an all time low. Extenuating circumstances affect trade value. Situation sucks, but sometimes you have to play the hand you're dealt.

You are welcome to keep Fleury, though. No one is forcing you to move him, you have him under contract until 2019. If you decide not to trade MAF though, I hope you get something of value for Murray before the expansion draft. I'm sure you can get a nice little package of 2nd rounders and prospects in return, or maybe a 1st rounder in the 22nd-30th overall range from a contender.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
He looked pretty bad in the playoffs.

Howcome a 21 year old murray won his job then?

Why do you guys wanna trade him so bad if hes so great?

He played 1 game... if 1 game is enough to write someone off, then Roman Josi is a terrible defenseman, because the Sharks made him and Weber look like beer leaguers in game 7

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The market for goalies with NMCs with an expansion draft looming is at an all time low. Extenuating circumstances affect trade value. Situation sucks, but sometimes you have to play the hand you're dealt.

You are welcome to keep Fleury, though. No one is forcing you to move him, you have him under contract until 2019. If you decide not to trade MAF though, I hope you get something of value for Murray before the expansion draft. I'm sure you can get a nice little package of 2nd rounders and prospects in return, or maybe a 1st rounder in the 22nd-30th overall range from a contender.

It's a lot more likely that Murray can return what Schneider did than Murray only returning that in a trade.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
It's a lot more likely that Murray can return what Schneider did than Murray only returning that in a trade.

I don't think Murray would get a top 10 pick, but he's definitely worth more than a late 1st. Maybe a 15th-20th. Then again, by next year he could absolutely establish that value. But right now, I'd put his value closer to Lehner's than Schneiders. Lehner + 3.65mil cap dump returned us 21st overall, btw.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Schneider had a much bigger sample size with better roughly the same numbers. The 3 elite seasons Schneider had in Vancouver offered GMs far more security than questioning whether a kid like Murray is legit or if he just caught lightning in a bottle. After all, Cam Ward looked like the next goalie superstar in 2006.

But by all means, if you think you can get a top-10 pick for Murray, then you should dillignetly pursue that opportunity to it's fullest extent.

Last edited:

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
He played 1 game... if 1 game is enough to write someone off, then Roman Josi is a terrible defenseman, because the Sharks made him and Weber look like beer leaguers in game 7

Ya but they played more than one game in the playoffs.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ya but they played more than one game in the playoffs.

Neither had concussions in consecutive months and have to try to get back into game form during a crucial Game 5 of the playoffs; where two goals were literally not his fault at all, either.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

PIT would have no issues getting value for Murray if they decided to go that route.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Schneider had a much bigger sample size with better roughly the same numbers. The 3 elite seasons Schneider had in Vancouver offered GMs far more security than questioning whether a kid like Murray is legit or if he just caught lightning in a bottle. After all, Cam Ward looked like the next goalie superstar in 2006.

But by all means, if you think you can get a top-10 pick for Murray, then you should dillignetly pursue that opportunity to it's fullest extent.

Ward also had above league average numbers for 4 years after that. He's gone downhill since, but for a span of 4-5 years, Ward was a very good NHL goalie.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

But Murray also won a cup, you can't dismiss that. Schneider had more of a track record in the regular season, but Murray already proved he's a stanley cup caliber goalie.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Fleury for Anderson + Puempel is probably fair value, but if I'm Ottawa I'm taking advantage of the situation the Pens are in. They absolutely have to get rid of Fleury if they want to keep Murray, I dont see Las Vegas passing an opportunity to claim him. Sure Pittsburgh could try and compensate Las Vegas to keep Murrray, but they'll most likely end up giving up more than a 2nd. That's why I'm fine with giving up a 2nd, it's a fine price to keep Murray in Pittsburgh.

This, the expansion draft really throws a wrench into many teams plans....I imagine teams will take advantage of the teams in bad spots. Should be interesting at least.

Would have no issues with taking Fleury at the prices discussed...outside of course of the lol worthy inclusion of Hoffman by one poster.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The market for a top 15 goalie on a good contract in a 30 team league is always going to be fine. Moving Fleury isn't going to be a problem. The only issue is which team is willing to give the best offer, and we have ample time to let that scenario play out.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Depending on how long the Senators feel Anderson has left in him as a starter and depending on what other teams have been willing to offer Pittsburgh for Fleury, something around Anderson for Fleury is pretty logical.

Matt O'Connor isn't done yet, but he also struggled in his first year in Ottawa's system. Acquiring Fleury gives Ottawa a long term replacement for Anderson. Obviously as already said, if they think Anderson can be an NHL starter past his current contract, then they don't make this trade.

Pittsburgh gets a veteran goalie with a shorter contract and a cap hit 1.5M lower than Fleury's cap hit. Similar to Fleury, Anderson could shelter Murray if there are growing pains or stumbling blocks along the way to Murray becoming the Penguins long term solution in goal. Anderson also has been a beast in the playoffs with Ottawa during their limited time there.

It is impossible to say if this is a good trade until we know what kind of offers Pittsburgh has had for Fleury and how Ottawa projects Anderson to hold up long term. But, it sort of makes sense.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The market for a top 15 goalie on a good contract in a 30 team league is always going to be fine. Moving Fleury isn't going to be a problem. The only issue is which team is willing to give the best offer, and we have ample time to let that scenario play out.

Don't be so sure about that. Most teams really don't need a netminder right now, so it's not like you're going to be overrun with offers. Plus, goalies traditionally don't fetch much in trades.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don't be so sure about that. Most teams really don't need a netminder right now, so it's not like you're going to be overrun with offers. Plus, goalies traditionally don't fetch much in trades.

I'm positive about that. If the Pens needed to deal Fleury, they could do so tomorrow without issue. But if they can't get the price they want for him now, then there's no point in leaving a bunch of '16-'17 wins on the table just to pick up a worse, older goalie without an NMC.

Only Chicken Littles and those who look to benefit from their impatience will perpetuate the idea that a top 15 goalie on a good contract in a 30 team league has no leverage. As the season progresses and some of the teams who took gambles on non-established starters flounder, you'll see teams willing to pay a higher price for a proven quality #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad