Proposal: Trade Ottawa/Pittsburgh

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Why does ottawa do this exacly?

Anderson has been better then fleury lately and fleury seems to be going on a downward spiral and pretty sure he wont bounce back

Easy no from ottawa, adding pumps to that trade seems like a huge overpayment also

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
MAF is a fine goalie, but Anderson is fine as well. The difference is in contracts. Though MAF is younger... that is something to consider. Still Ottawa likely says no thanks.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL

Anderson has been better then fleury lately and fleury seems to be going on a downward spiral and pretty sure he wont bounce back

Easy no from ottawa, adding pumps to that trade seems like a huge overpayment also

guess huge downward spiral means coming off the two best seasons of his career

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You're literally just making up nonsense with this.

I don't really see why Ottawa does this. They get a marginal upgrade (Fleury is a slightly above average starter and Anderson is an average starter) that is more expensive and then swap Puempel for a 2nd. Seems kinda needless overall.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

What makes you think that Anderson has been better?

I mean Fleury had a .921 save Pct. and a 2.29 GAA last season. Anderson on the hand had a .916 save Pct. and a 2.78 GAA. Also, Fleury is 4 years younger than Anderson and would be a better fit on the Sens.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
You're literally just making up nonsense with this.

I don't really see why Ottawa does this. They get a marginal upgrade (Fleury is a slightly above average starter and Anderson is an average starter) that is more expensive and then swap Puempel for a 2nd. Seems kinda needless overall.

Not pointless at all. Fleury would be their starter for the next 5-6 years and would make a fine #2 when he gets older. Anderson is already 35, he might last 2-3 seasons and then retire. Also Pumpel hasn't been able to establish himself for the last 2 years, he might in Pittsburgh. Getting a 2nd back is great for Ottawa.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
guess huge downward spiral means coming off the two best seasons of his career

He looked pretty bad in the playoffs.

Howcome a 21 year old murray won his job then?

Why do you guys wanna trade him so bad if hes so great?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Ottawa is a team I could see MAF going to if he wants to get closer to home. Pens would need Anderson coming back plus something else. How's Hoffman feeling these days? MAF, pick, prospect for Anderson/Hoffman.

Last edited:

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL

he went out with a concussion and didn't play for two months because the penguins were playing the hot hand.. We'd love to keep both but the expansion draft throws a wrench into things

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago

MAF hadn't played in almost two months due to a concussion when they put him in during the playoffs. Murray was the hot hand at the end of the year and they stuck with him.

The reason why Pens fans want / expect to see MAF traded is the expansion draft. They can only keep one goalie and they'd like it to be Murray since he's younger and cheaper. But unless MAF is traded, his NMC requires him to be protected, thus leaving Murray exposed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ottawa is a team I could see MAF going to if he wants to get closer to home. Pens would need Anderson coming back plus something else. How's Hoffman feeling these days? MAF, pick, prospect for Anderson/Hoffman.

How bout no to that. Man... way too much. Fleury is not a significant enough upgrade to Anderson. We lose our top scorer in the deal for a pick?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sens say yes.

I'd switch out Anderson for Floury rather easily. Also Puempel is worth a 3rd at most.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

Because their system produced a second great goalie who is younger and cheaper, thus making it possible for them to trade him?

Not sure why Pittsburgh does this deal unless they're high on Puempel actually. They get an older goalie to backup their new kid but don't save money and they give up a second. Sure, they could lose Fleury in the expansion draft, but trading a 2nd for Puempel is overpaying and the net result is basically the same.

Ottawa gets a younger, better goalie who maybe has some playoff struggles, but is still superior and is going to be around a lot longer.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Because their system produced a second great goalie who is younger and cheaper, thus making it possible for them to trade him?

Not sure why Pittsburgh does this deal unless they're high on Puempel actually. They get an older goalie to backup their new kid but don't save money and they give up a second. Sure, they could lose Fleury in the expansion draft, but trading a 2nd for Puempel is overpaying and the net result is basically the same.

Ottawa gets a younger, better goalie who maybe has some playoff struggles, but is still superior and is going to be around a lot longer.

Fleury has a NMC so he would have to be protected in the expansion draft which is kinda why pens fans are wanting to deal him

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I left the pick and prospect parts open ended. Pretty likely Hoffman is going to the highest bidder next year.

:laugh: 'pretty likely'? Is that an N4?

As for the trade, I'm not a fan at all of Fleury, but it's a pretty solid proposal for ottawa. Get a comparable, maybe slightly better goalie who's younger and a 2nd? Sure.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I left the pick and prospect parts open ended. Pretty likely Hoffman is going to the highest bidder next year.

I guess it depends on the ready to step into the top 2 lines prospect (Sprong?) and how high that 1st round pick is :)

I hope Hoffman stays.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Can Ottawa afford 5.75 million per year in salary on their goalie though? That's what we've generally spent on our goaltending as a pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad