Proposal: Trade Mason

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Why did Steve Mason take off for personal reasons at the beginning of the 2015-16 season.
I believe it may have been a game or two.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why did Steve Mason take off for personal reasons at the beginning of the 2015-16 season.
I believe it may have been a game or two.

Don't think that was ever revealed, and he said it was a distraction after he returned.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is not ringing any bells. I imagine it was probably family related (kids or marriage issues?) because if it was a death or crime we'd know.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He doesn't have kids and he's not married.

Most likely explanation was a family member was having serious health issues or something like that.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I would have sworn that it was due to a death in the family, but now that you bring it up I can't really recall why I ever thought that. I feel like I might have heard it in passing on a broadcast, but there don't seem to be any articles that specifically confirm that.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I remember reading somewhere his wife had miscarried their twins. Don't remember where I heard it from though

That was absolutely a rumor, but I don't believe it was published unless you count random social media postings. I HAVE ZERO IDEA IF IT WAS TRUE, TO BE CLEAR.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That was absolutely a rumor, but I don't believe it was published unless you count random social media postings. I HAVE ZERO IDEA IF IT WAS TRUE, TO BE CLEAR.

Doing some digging, I found a similar anonymous post with the add on that his wife almost died as well during the ordeal. Tragic if true.

"She was pregnant with twins and she lost both the babies and almost died back in october. That's why he took a leave of absence from the team at the beginning of the season. I know because I know someone from the team."

And fwiw, this person was defending Mason in the comment section of an article, not trying to rip on Mason at all or acting like a know-it-all.

:(

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Doing some digging, I found a similar anonymous post with the add on that his wife almost died as well during the ordeal. Tragic if true.

"She was pregnant with twins and she lost both the babies and almost died back in october. That's why he took a leave of absence from the team at the beginning of the season. I know because I know someone from the team."

And fwiw, this person was defending Mason in the comment section of an article, not trying to rip on Mason at all or acting like a know-it-all.

My goodness, that is truly horrible if so. That had to have stayed with him all season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A miscarriage is what I assumed. I can't believe he even started that Florida game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Some people are savages. They can't separate reality from their fandom. It was pretty obvious something bad was up.

I remember multiple posters on the main forum were really annoyed that the teams signaled for the refs to blow the play dead when Raffl passed out on the bench. :laugh:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Could the personal problems Steve Mason had at the beginning of the 2015-16 season have contributed to any kinda confidence issues Mason had during the beginning of the season and again in the playoffs or was it something else.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Could the personal problems Steve Mason had at the beginning of the 2015-16 season have contributed to any kinda confidence issues Mason had during the beginning of the season

I'm no psychologist, but yeah, I imagine so :facepalm:

and again in the playoffs or was it something else.

He seemed to be more than OK willing the team to the playoffs down the stretch with masterful performance game in and game out. He had a few bad playoff games, where the team managed to play even worse. **** happens.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Steve Mason is a great goaltender with an even greater attitude.

He came in as a reclamation project and worked his way up to be a reliable starter. His SV% for the last three seasons is a combined .921.

There were at least 10-15 games last year where he was by a mile our best player on the ice.

Neuvy made the best in his short stint here in Philly but I am not ready at all to give up on Mase. He is a class act through and through.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Neuvirth's play has to be considered in all of this. He may be on par, or close to it, with Mason. One of these two has to be moved for value since you don't want to lose either of them for nothing in an expansion draft.
Also they're both going to be UFAs after this season.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I didn't know he was married. Last I saw he was dating some really really really hot chick. Did he marry her?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Could the personal problems Steve Mason had at the beginning of the 2015-16 season have contributed to any kinda confidence issues Mason had during the beginning of the season and again in the playoffs or was it something else.

I mean, no offense, but shouldnt that be obvious?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Neuvirth's play has to be considered in all of this. He may be on par, or close to it, with Mason. One of these two has to be moved for value since you don't want to lose either of them for nothing in an expansion draft.
Also they're both going to be UFAs after this season.

Neuvirth historically cannot stay healthy enough to shoulder the load for long stretches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad