Proposal: Trade ideas

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
He also has a 1.9m caphit, I'd rather resign Boyle who's expected to be a cap loss this off-season and does is much more efficient at his job than Vlad is.

I wouldn't be opposed to this, assuming Boyle will sign at the same price or less and for no more than two years. Nor would I be opposed to moving Vlad to clear space for a prospect who's proven himself ready for a full-time spot at the NHL level. I'd still rather wait until the offseason though to move him, unless we either fall out of contention or can get somebody for him who will help us with this playoff run.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Don't see how a hypothetical TyJo for Shattenkirk trade wouldn't work.

Shattenkirk is expecting to want somewhere around 6.5 which is only about 1-1.5 more than what Johnson is expected to ask for.

With the potential of Killorn and Bishop off the books next year that is a lot of cap relief.

Plus, with the addition of Shattenkirk someone like Garrison can walk.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The only way we can go after Shattenkirk or another defender is if two are going out. We have Hedman, Stralman, Garrison and Coburn under contract next year with Sustr, Koekkoek and Nesterov RFA's. Ideally we bring back two of those and that gives us our top 6, bringing in another defender puts Koekkoek back in the press box as he'll be waiver eligible next year. We need to dump Garrison or Coburn in a deal for a defender otherwise we have a logjam and an extremely expensive defense.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006

Shattenkirk is expecting to want somewhere around 6.5 which is only about 1-1.5 more than what Johnson is expected to ask for.

With the potential of Killorn and Bishop off the books next year that is a lot of cap relief.

Regarding the bolded, Bishop's cap space is already spent. The extensions for Hedman and Vasilevski combined are $50,000 less than Bishop's outgoing cap hit.

I don't think anybody is buying what we should be selling. If Yzerman really wants to change the cap dynamic beyond this season he needs to move Cally, Flip, Stralman, Garrison, and/or Coburn. Period.

It isn't worth it to move any of Drouin, Johnson, or Palat. Including any of the above big cap #s just detracts from their value, but, we can't afford a worthy return without moving money out.

I guess I think Yzerman more likely to be a buyer than a seller but most likely stands pat.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016

Filppula is already expected to be on his way out to clear cap space. Just who do you expect will play center for us?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
A Johnson+ for Monahan would be sexy. A Stamkos-Monahan 1-2 punch

He produces less than Johnson, has less upside and an unknown playoff performer (his first outing wasn't anything special), has a $6.35m caphit and is known for large cold streaks. Jeez I'd rather keep Johnson who's likely to resign for much cheaper than that cap hit let alone add to get Monahan.

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
Yeah, I'm with you guys on Monahan - Gaudreau is what makes that offense go. Hypothetically, I wouldn't deal Johnson unless we were able to get another high-end center that could be a true core piece. Which would mean two big trades would have to go down, which just doesn't seem likely. I know that I am just crazy :amazed:, but I'm talking like Drouin+ for Duchene, and then Johnson for that top-4 defenseman. That would be a really scary core (Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Duchene) to build around. Imagine that 1-2 punch at center. :cry:

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Value wise I think Nuge would be cheaper than Monahan, but with more upside, and had pretty sick chemistry with Drouin at the WHC.

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
Value wise I think Nuge would be cheaper than Monahan, but with more upside, and had pretty sick chemistry with Drouin at the WHC.
Yeah, I like that idea even more from a long-term cap perspective as I think RNH has 4 more years at 6.0M? I proposed something like Johnson+Giraffe for RNH on another forum and got mixed responses (guess I was playing off Chiarelli's crusade for more RHD). But then again you would need to make some sort of forward for defenseman trade. Stamkos/Hedman/Kucherov/Drouin/RNH would be a pretty slick core too. Oh to dream about such moves. :cry:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, I like that idea even more from a long-term cap perspective as I think RNH has 4 more years at 6.0M? I proposed something like Johnson+Giraffe for RNH on another forum and got mixed responses (guess I was playing off Chiarelli's crusade for more RHD). But then again you would need to make some sort of forward for defenseman trade. Stamkos/Hedman/Kucherov/Drouin/RNH would be a pretty slick core too. Oh to dream about such moves. :cry:

Why would we do that? There is no upgrade in RNH from Johnson and you want to add a top 4 RD too. Just terrible asset management. Johnson might even come cheaper than RNH so there's no cap savings in the deal either.

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
Why would we do that? There is no upgrade in RNH from Johnson and you want to add a top 4 RD too. Just terrible asset management. Johnson might even come cheaper than RNH so there's no cap savings in the deal either.
I was hoping you would see this. ;)

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Trades rarely play out as expected and there's no need to pay the expensive price to get a top 4 RD, weakening even more an already underwhelming forward group. This defense has already shown to be capable for championship contention, their main task being to firstly remain healthy. On the other hand, scoring depth is and has always been Tampa's downfall. After a hot start, the offense has gotten putrid and when we offensively struggle that's always when the problems start. Over the past month, Tampa has hit 30 times the back of the net, good for the 24th offense in goals scored.

I don't recall who said that but Stamkos, Drouin and Kucherov aside, the rest of the forward group is a collection of "two-way" players with either a laughable or an extremely inconsistent scoring touch. Those 3 Stamkos/Drouin/Kucherov are pretty skilled guys and when they're rolling the team looks like an offensive juggernaut from the outside but it's a team sport and there are 9 other forwards to play, and they just don't get the job done offense-wise. Palat and Johnson are decent players and they'll get hot once in a while but the TKO days of dominance are gone I reckon. To depend on them to carry the load is a recipe for a big disappointment.

Tampa desperately needs to inject game breaking abilities and we're heading to the point where the first thing Yzerman needs to do for next year is to convince Gusev that he has a future with this team. Gusev may say no to the request or whatever but Yzerman has at least to try his best because Nikita is the prototypical forward that Tampa needs on paper*. The fact that we still possess his rights makes it a no-brainer from an asset management perspective. Trying to solve the scoring issues mostly via free-agency would be a terrible idea.

*He'd have to adapt and the transition is far from being an automatic home run

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Agreed, stay away from FA. Those almost never live up to their contracts, especially since our need would be bigger guys, who usually decline out of nowhere and are expensive. Sadly, if you want a big skilled guy, you usually have to develop them internally.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Wouldn't hate having Deuchene but if its gonna cost Drouin I'm undecided

Def would like Shattenkirk on the team. TB desperately needs another strong RD.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Wouldn't hate having Deuchene but if its gonna cost Drouin I'm undecided

Def would like Shattenkirk on the team. TB desperately needs another strong RD.

I've thought about Duchene as well. I'd happily send Stamkos to Denver for him. We could really use a skilled, relentless puckhound who never shifts out of sixth gear... but I wouldn't trade Drouin for anybody after the show he put on against the Pens.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I've thought about Duchene as well. I'd happily send Stamkos to Denver for him. We could really use a skilled, relentless puckhound who never shifts out of sixth gear... but I wouldn't trade Drouin for anybody after the show he put on against the Pens.

You'll fit in nicely here with that Hose-sesh

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
You'll fit in nicely here with that Hose-sesh
Not sure I follow. I'm guessing it's taboo to propose a Stamkos trade? I honestly believe that it would make us a stronger team (although I doubt Denver would be interested). Duchene arguably fits the style we're trying to play better than Stammer, and, to top it off, he seems like a more natural leader. What can I say? Stammergeddon left a sour taste in my mouth.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
As a Blues fan a Shattenkirk for Johnson deal sounds great. Adding conditional picks isn't a big deal either. It sounded like Lebrun was playing matchmaker and wanted Yzerman and Armstrong to just kiss already on TSN.

I'd say: Shattenkirk plus conditional 1st round pick (if he doesn't resign) for Tyler Johnson.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure I follow. I'm guessing it's taboo to propose a Stamkos trade? I honestly believe that it would make us a stronger team (although I doubt Denver would be interested). Duchene arguably fits the style we're trying to play better than Stammer, and, to top it off, he seems like a more natural leader. What can I say? Stammergeddon left a sour taste in my mouth.

Duchene has nowhere near respect Stamkos has around the league, although he plays hard and with a lot of heart he's far too inconsistent. Stamkos at his best or at the level he was playing at before his injury is higher Duchene by a margin.

Not to mention we're lacking finishers and you want to send out a top 3 goalscorer, few teams need an elite scorer to do well, we happen to be one of them.

You're new but no Stamkos is far from being "taboo" (if only you knew..) but it's stupid to considering even trading him at this moment.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Duchene has nowhere near respect Stamkos has around the league, although he plays hard and with a lot of heart he's far too inconsistent. Stamkos at his best or at the level he was playing at before his injury is higher Duchene by a margin.

Not to mention we're lacking finishers and you want to send out a top 3 goalscorer, few teams need an elite scorer to do well, we happen to be one of them.

You're new but no Stamkos is far from being "taboo" (if only you knew..) but it's stupid to considering even trading him at this moment.
I still feel like Duchene is a better fit for what we're trying to do. He's a more complete player than Stamkos. Yes, we'd probably lose about 15-20 goals a year, but I'd wager that Duchene would be setting Kuch, Palat or Killer up for at least that many or more. Furthermore, Stamkos is the only guy in our top six who isn't really interchangeable. Kuch or Drouin or Palat can play with anyone else and there's no substantial drop-off in performance. Stamkos needs either Drouin or Kuch to be truly effective, and those two still have to be willing to use their skill to deliver the puck through rain, sleet or snow straight to his office. It's kind of silly, to be honest.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I still feel like Duchene is a better fit for what we're trying to do. He's a more complete player than Stamkos. Yes, we'd probably lose about 15-20 goals a year, but I'd wager that Duchene would be setting Kuch, Palat or Killer up for at least that many or more. Furthermore, Stamkos is the only guy in our top six who isn't really interchangeable. Kuch or Drouin or Palat can play with anyone else and there's no substantial drop-off in performance. Stamkos needs either Drouin or Kuch to be truly effective, and those two still have to be willing to use their skill to deliver the puck through rain, sleet or snow straight to his office. It's kind of silly, to be honest.

Where does that notion come from? He's actually not, he's far from a two way center and isn't as good as Stamkos offensively, Duchene would be a good 2nd line center but all he does is offer more of what we already have, Stamkos brings something different.

Yeah he isn't interchangeable because he's clearly the #1 center....

Palat can play with anyone without a drop in performance? hmm.... 13 points in 29 games, Drouin 13 points in 21 games, Duchene 18 points in 23 games, it's hilarious that Stamkos is still outscoring all of them while missing 45% of the season so far. Palat and Drouin have combined for 6 more points and 1 more goal in 33 more games played than Stamkos, let that sink in for sec.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad