Proposal: Trade ideas

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This team needs a shake up - period.

Same group for the last three years. They need a wakeup call in a big way.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I say flip Killorn and Namestnikov or use them to move Callahan's fat contract.

However, unpopular opinion, coaching change. Gives the team a shakeup without losing player assets. You don't even have to fire Cooper, make him an assistant bring in a new HC.

Such a love/hate thing with Cooper, I like his relationship with the players but I've always despised his in game coaching decisions or lack there of although he seems to be a lot better at player usage this year he's always had troubles adapting in game. I don't want to lose him in the organization but I don't know if he's the best for the team as a head coach.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

However, unpopular opinion, coaching change. Gives the team a shakeup without losing player assets. You don't even have to fire Cooper, make him an assistant bring in a new HC.

Such a love/hate thing with Cooper, I like his relationship with the players but I've always despised his in game coaching decisions or lack there of although he seems to be a lot better at player usage this year he's always had troubles adapting in game. I don't want to lose him in the organization but I don't know if he's the best for the team as a head coach.
Todd Richards for hc ?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

That opinion is not unpopular with me.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I've been saying in for a year and a half now, I don't think Cooper is a good coach. Players gradually get worse under his tenure. outside of a couple of exceptions. And the team generally underperforms as a whole. This is a better team than the one that made the SCF 2 years ago, yet in back to back years we just don't look good.

I would be all for firing Cooper and bringing in Gerrard Gallant. Todd Richards would be ok I guess, he's just never coached a team that impressed me.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Give away Filppula and Callahan for late picks, trade Bishop for anything at this point, call up Conacher and Condra. Next year, let Boyle walk, Vegas takes JT Brown, trade Condra and Garrison. Get Gusev to come over. Lines for 2017-18:

Vladdy-Stammer-Kuch
Pally-TJ-Drouin
Killer-Point-Goose
Conacher-Paquette-Raddysh

Hedman-Stralman
Koekkoek-Sustr
Nesterov-Coburn

Vasi
Kristers

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I've been saying in for a year and a half now, I don't think Cooper is a good coach. Players gradually get worse under his tenure. outside of a couple of exceptions. And the team generally underperforms as a whole. This is a better team than the one that made the SCF 2 years ago, yet in back to back years we just don't look good.

I would be all for firing Cooper and bringing in Gerrard Gallant. Todd Richards would be ok I guess, he's just never coached a team that impressed me.

This. Easily a top-3 roster in the league, but need a new coach. Could even keep Coop on as an assistant, I don't care, but Johnson and Palat are stars, they have proven it, they just need a better coach.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

So if the players know the problem and what will happen if they don't turn it around, why haven't they looked improved AT ALL? In fact, I would make the argument that they are getting worse. I think we were a better team at the start of the season for sure. Not good, but better.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
There's two options to light a fire under this team's ass:

1) Get a new coach

2) Make a trade for a really good vet that wants to win NOW. Big splash / shakeup type deal.

Gotta have a shakeup.

And unfortunately it's probably gonna take someone like a Palat, TyJo or Drouin to make a really good trade happen.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
HOLLLLYYYYY CRAP!

What happened here? Guys calm the heck down. Time out! Time out!!

You guys are talking about breaking up a team that's won 25 playoff games in the last 2 years and firing the guy who coached that group of players to that many wins.

Be objective about what's happening to this team right now.

1. Stamkos has gotten hurt and the offense is stagnating
2. Clearly NO ONE has stepped up to be "the man" in the locker room yet
3. Stralman is hurt
4. Callahan was clearly not 100% when coming back
5. Brown has been hurt
6. Boyle has been hurt
7. Palat is likely dealing with some kind of an injury
8. The team is pressing

No bounces will go our way, no wins will come easy. Life is gonna be hell because that's the phase we are in. We're gonna get kicked in the face and we're gonna throw up our hands and ask the Gods why they have foresaken us and start worshipping the Devil. This is what happens to teams like us in these kinds of situations. Don't give me this, "Injuries aren't an excuse" bull. That's nothing more than a compensation device invented by athletes to protect their ego. They probably call Stamkos EVERY day and ask if he's doing any better. When you lose your captain on top of it, you lose your balance. It's like someone being blindfolded and with ear muffs going through the woods.

Please.... don't panic because he's walking into trees and tripping over his feet. He can't see or hear anything.

We're down our 2nd best defenseman and arguably our best forward. What the HELL did you people think was gonna happen? We were gonna play .500+ hockey until they got back? This team hasn't been right since October and we're expecting that something is going to change it. The only thing that's gonna change this is time folks.

There's a reason Yzerman didn't make any moves last year when things were far worse than this. He's been there, he's done that. He was a CAPTAIN for crying out loud. You wanna talk about bad? Ask Robert Guess whenever he comes back around about the #1 Red Wings losing to the #8 seeded Sharks. Getting SWEPT by the Devils in the Stanley Cup Finals or the year they had one of the most statistically dominant teams of ALL TIME and STILL lost to Joe Sakic and the Avalanche. Ask Robert specifically how people asked, "When the hell is this team gonna win?" and the questions of Yzerman's leadership. How people asked if he should be traded.

This is the kind of adversity that builds a champion. It's not worth firing Jon Cooper or blowing up the roster because it'll jump start us for 3 weeks when we need to go 3+ months for our captain to come back.

Frankie says relax folks. This year ain't NOTHING like last year. Last year we were distracted. The proof was in the pudding that once Stamkos went down we actually played BETTER! Remove the distraction and the team gets to Game 7 of the ECF!! Imagine that!!This year we are just unfortunate.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
LMAO Coop is not staying on as an assistant after having as much success as he's had.

You guys are a hoot, really.

Also I thought this thread was about trade proposals, not firing the coach (which is a terrible idea, BTW).

But as long as we're spitballing ideas, we could also call up hungry guys like Vermin and Bournival from Syracuse to inject some energy and shake off the going through the motions we're doing right now.

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
I think we need a few more games before really considering anything of the sort. But if we are still struggling by mid-December-ish, I would say maybe explore a trade. Talk to Dallas about some sort of Bishop deal? Maybe explore a big splash trade with someone like Colorado (dare I say Dr....?)? Maybe a coaching change later in the season if it persists (we have seen how those can work)? I do think we need wait just a tad longer though before truly considering anything.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think we need a few more games before really considering anything of the sort. But if we are still struggling by mid-December-ish, I would say maybe explore a trade. Talk to Dallas about some sort of Bishop deal? Maybe explore a big splash trade with someone like Colorado (dare I say Dr....?)? Maybe a coaching change later in the season if it persists (we have seen how those can work)? I do think we need wait just a tad longer though before truly considering anything.

That's still too rash man. You don't give up almost half a season of Ben Bishop because things are getting rough in December. If anything exercise your organizational depth with a guy like Conacher and see if he helps first. Play the cards closer to the chest up until the trade deadline.

We have to keep in mind that this is a Lightning team that would probably be tied with Montreal for the lead in the Atlantic right now were it not for what happened to Stamkos. And Stralman. And Boyle. And Brown. And.... you get the picture.

Let it ride

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
That's still too rash man. You don't give up almost half a season of Ben Bishop because things are getting rough in December. If anything exercise your organizational depth with a guy like Conacher and see if he helps first. Play the cards closer to the chest up until the trade deadline.

We have to keep in mind that this is a Lightning team that would probably be tied with Montreal for the lead in the Atlantic right now were it not for what happened to Stamkos. And Stralman. And Boyle. And Brown. And.... you get the picture.

Let it ride
Very true. A call up could do the trick.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
This year and last year aren't at all comparable. Last year the underlying numbers were there. We didn't LOOK good, but we weren't doing too bad.

This year we look bad and the underlying numbers suggest we are right where we should be. In fact, if it wasn't for Vasilevskiy having some gem games, we would be in even more of a hole. His .950+ save percentage is inevitably going to regress. He will come back down to .915-.920, and with that comes more losses.

And to be honest, it's not like the team was a juggernaut last year. We weren't good for most of the year and Bishop DID bail us out a lot. The year before that we had serious depth problems. We got carried by TKO and Bishop.

Maybe it's time we realize this team is good, not great. Time to lower expectations a bit. Everything is there on paper, but whether it's the coaching staff or the players, the team underachieves as a whole.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This year and last year aren't at all comparable. Last year the underlying numbers were there. We didn't LOOK good, but we weren't doing too bad.

This year we look bad and the underlying numbers suggest we are right where we should be. In fact, if it wasn't for Vasilevskiy having some gem games, we would be in even more of a hole. His .950+ save percentage is inevitably going to regress. He will come back down to .915-.920, and with that comes more losses.

And to be honest, it's not like the team was a juggernaut last year. We weren't good for most of the year and Bishop DID bail us out a lot. The year before that we had serious depth problems. We got carried by TKO and Bishop.

Maybe it's time we realize this team is good, not great. Time to lower expectations a bit. Everything is there on paper, but whether it's the coaching staff or the players, the team underachieves as a whole.

Agreed, I think there's been a big performance vs potential gap on this team for awhile. Coop was hugely bailed out by TKO in 2015, which was a complete fluke on his part. We got by Detroit by pure miracle performance by Tyler Johnson. His real challenge came in the finals when TKO went down, he could not ignite Stamkos, spent the entire year dogging Drouin and which left him bench warming in the finals, and tried to hide the most obvious injury in Lightning history in order to "psych-out" our opponents that Johnson wasn't injured.

Won't deny that Cooper had a big part in the development of some of our key players, but that's in the past now, how many coaches could actually do worse if given our roster? Outside the PP there looks to be very little structure or system in place with this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad