Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Dubnyk and Rask might be on the way out. Stastny is also a 2nd generation NHL player. He would only be here for a year, but I have this feeling he would add a lot to the locker room.

Can't.
Im just curious what he would add that we need to add yet another vet. even if 4 are leaving our team I don't see a need for him.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I don't hate the idea of Stastny on this roster for a year, but I wouldn't want to give up anything to make that deal happen. We don't have any reason to give up assets to improve the team for solely next year and I don't think Stastny would be in the long-term plans in terms of a contract extension.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Presumably that’s Dumba+1st+Kunin/Donato/Greenway

That’s a very hefty price to pay for a guy who may not even solve the problem. Especially if Dumba returns to form from the past two years. If I’m paying that much, I better be getting a guy I KNOW can be the answer.

I didn't see the Kunin/Donato/Greenway part of it. Yeah, a little hefty, but I wouldn't throw it away completely as a framework.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
It makes sense to go after Nylander if you believe he is an actual center, and I think Dumba for Nylander is a solid gambit either way, but I just don’t believe you should be or have to add that much on top.
Nylander would be a center already if he wasn't on the Leafs. He is a natural fit at the position offensively, and I am not really worried about him having to step up defensively.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nylander would be a center already if he wasn't on the Leafs. He is a natural fit at the position offensively, and I am not really worried about him having to step up defensively.

Based on what

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Same reason why we grabbed Heatley or Hartman. Stastny would be a great asset for this team.
We "grabbed" Heatley to dump Havlat, no?

Even if Koivu retires and Parise is traded we'll have Suter, Staal, Zuccarello and Spurgeon on the team. That seems like enough veteran presence for a team that's trying to get younger.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The position he played all the way up until he ran into a situation with Matthews & Kadri, and then Matthews & Tavares as top 6 centers.

I could write books about guys who played center in juniors or other leagues and couldn’t translate it to the NHL.

What about his game is best suited towards center over wing in the NHL?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I could write books about guys who played center in juniors or other leagues and couldn’t translate it to the NHL.

What about his game is best suited towards center over wing in the NHL?

I'm not a William Nylander scout. But I think succeeding at center in the SHL, the AHL, international tournaments, and in a short stint in the NHL is a little different than just succeeding at center in the Q or something.

Is it a sure thing? Probably not, but for a team that's fairly starved at the position, it's a bet that I'm comfortable taking. The downside is that you're left with a really good 23 year old right-shot winger. Could be worse.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not a William Nylander scout. But I think succeeding at center in the SHL, the AHL, international tournaments, and in a short stint in the NHL is a little different than just succeeding at center in the Q or something.

Is it a sure thing? Probably not, but for a team that's fairly starved at the position, it's a bet that I'm comfortable taking. The downside is that you're left with a really good 23 year old right-shot winger. Could be worse.

Again, I’m fine with the gamble, but he’s not a tried and true NHL center, and if someone says he’s a natural fit at center in the NHL, I’d like to know what specifically about his game makes him a natural fit for center in the NHL. Playing center in the AHL and the SHL doesn’t satisfy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Again, I’m fine with the gamble, but he’s not a tried and true NHL center, and if someone says he’s a natural fit at center in the NHL, I’d like to know what specifically about his game makes him a natural fit for center in the NHL. Playing center in the AHL and the SHL doesn’t satisfy.

Well, he did say "offensively", so I'd venture a guess that it has to do a lot with his skating, puck-handling and vision. Also the >50% faceoff % could be a thing.

People talk about it like Toronto gave him year and half and had to pull the plug because he wasn't cutting it. He had 22 games at 19 years old (scoring 13 points). Then Toronto drafted Matthews to a team that also had Kadri and Bozak. Then they signed Tavares. He was boxed out of the position most likely through no fault of his own.

And to say the AHL doesn't matter, if we had a 19 year old scoring 45 points in 38 games down there, we'd be pretty over the f***ing moon about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln