Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Gaudreau is a good player, but he's not the true needle mover we're looking for. The cost would be too high for my liking.

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
The other player that interests me a fair amount is Galchenyuk. In the last year of his deal, fluent in Russian, and I think would compliment Kap very well as a center. Not that I think the Pens are gonna trade him, but would like to see the Wild pursue him in free agency.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The other player that interests me a fair amount is Galchenyuk. In the last year of his deal, fluent in Russian, and I think would compliment Kap very well as a center. Not that I think the Pens are gonna trade him, but would like to see the Wild pursue him in free agency.
Galchenyuk hasn't played center in like 3 years.

Reactions: TaLoN

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
Galchenyuk hasn't played center in like 3 years.
If I'm not mistaken he played a fair amount of 3C in Phoenix last year before his injury. And I'm pretty sure (minus his atrocious defense) the only reason he isn't in Pitt as of now is because he is still banged up and Pitt is quite deep at center.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If I'm not mistaken he played a fair amount of 3C in Phoenix last year before his injury. And I'm pretty sure (minus his atrocious defense) the only reason he isn't in Pitt as of now is because he is still banged up and Pitt is quite deep at center.
That you could be right about... I've only ever heard complaints about him when he's played center, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. If he can play center I'm not sure how much of a disqualifier atrocious defense should be for us.

I'd like to find something better, but with our center situation I'm not against contingency plans either.

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
That you could be right about... I've only ever heard complaints about him when he's played center, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. If he can play center I'm not sure how much of a disqualifier atrocious defense should be for us.

I'd like to find something better, but with our center situation I'm not against contingency plans either.
Are you thinking we offer sheet someone like a Tyson Jost or Pierre Luc Dubois? Or what is your ideal plan (excluding draft because I think we all know MOST high draft picks aren't ready to play in the NHL as of year 1)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Are you thinking we offer sheet someone like a Tyson Jost or Pierre Luc Dubois? Or what is your ideal plan (excluding draft because I think we all know MOST high draft picks aren't ready to play in the NHL as of year 1)
Probably going to have to find stop gaps in free agency. Centers that move the needle are rarely traded for... ones that don't move the needle are rarely worth the trade cost.

Offer sheets that have a chance of succeeding (over paying the player salary) cost far too much in draft assets. Ones that are reasonable offers just get matched. Offer sheets are not a reasonable path of player acquisition.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The more likely plan would be trying to make a move with a GM who’s willing to make some moves, like getting Johansen or Monahan from their current teams.

Jost isn’t the type of player you offer sheet, any reasonable offer Colorado will match, and he’s not good enough to overpay. I wouldn’t mind trying to make a trade for him though.

PLD is a better candidate for offer sheet, but you’re still going to be offering 8.5-9 at the least before Columbus doesn’t match. And then you’re hoping he goes from 60 point center to 80 point center.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He's a hard one to pin down a UFA contract for. He gets a lot of PPP to boost up his stats. The last 2 full seasons combined (154 games): 18g/27a on the PP, 20g/27a not on the PP. If it was something in the 3-5 years, $4m-$5m per then I'd take a shot on him. If it is over $6m then I wouldn't touch him. Worst case is he flops and we leave him exposed in the expansion draft.

Haula is a guy that could be worth looking at as a contingency plan. Had one good year in Vegas, then has been injured a lot since. He might not get a whole lot on the open market because of that? :dunno:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My hopes lay mostly in the trade market and the fact that every year we see one or two guys traded that "no one thought was available." There are already a few teams (like Toronto and Calgary) running into borderline-existential problems and may be open to doing something dramatic. I don't think Calgary's likely to move a center, but Nylander's had some previous experience there and might not be completely off-limits. Hard to say.

There have also been some rumors about Johansson being available. They're probably 100% grain-fed BS, but he is the sort of player that's "never available" and then suddenly is... so you never know.

I admit that's closer to wishing than planning, though. If nothing comes up we'll probably have to look at free agency or more wingers-at-center experiments.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's a hard one to pin down a UFA contract for. He gets a lot of PPP to boost up his stats. The last 2 full seasons combined (154 games): 18g/27a on the PP, 20g/27a not on the PP. If it was something in the 3-5 years, $4m-$5m per then I'd take a shot on him. If it is over $6m then I wouldn't touch him. Worst case is he flops and we leave him exposed in the expansion draft.

Haula is a guy that could be worth looking at as a contingency plan. Had one good year in Vegas, then has been injured a lot since. He might not get a whole lot on the open market because of that? :dunno:
I've gotten tired of the "I can't believe we let Haula go!" posts, but I wouldn't hate to have him back either.

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
The more likely plan would be trying to make a move with a GM who’s willing to make some moves, like getting Johansen or Monahan from their current teams.

Jost isn’t the type of player you offer sheet, any reasonable offer Colorado will match, and he’s not good enough to overpay. I wouldn’t mind trying to make a trade for him though.

PLD is a better candidate for offer sheet, but you’re still going to be offering 8.5-9 at the least before Columbus doesn’t match. And then you’re hoping he goes from 60 point center to 80 point center.
Only reason I threw Jost in there is because I'm thinking Colorado will be hard pressed for cap space and he'd be a relatively cheaper option than PLD. I'd love to see PLD in a Wild sweater, but I think it'd be the more unlikely of the two unlikely scenarios

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A guy who scored 99 points isn't a difference maker? I would trade Dumba+ something small for him(Donato?). We can afford to lose Dumba with the way Hunt has stepped up this year.

Zucker + Brodin+ Kunin...we'd have to take some salary back from CGY to make it work. Don't like losing Kunin or Brodin, but...

Gaudreau would give us a couple of skills that we sorely need. The ability to handle the puck, and the ability to score points. I get that a LW is not ideal, but the guy is a legit 1st line talent. Also has a very reasonable contract for two years after this one.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've gotten tired of the "I can't believe we let Haula go!" posts, but I wouldn't hate to have him back either.

I'm more looking at what could help the team, not living in the past. With Haula's injuries he might be open to a short cheap deal as a UFA.

Bjugstad might be available for cheap from Pit. I'm not a fan of his anymore, he's made of glass, but might work as a 1 year stop-gap for next season. If it doesn't work then let him walk or trade him at the TDL next year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A guy who scored 99 points isn't a difference maker?
I don't think anyone said that, he's just not the one we're looking for.

The cost would be massive, but imo we'd be sacrificing our chances at center, our biggest all time need. That and he's about to get a massive payday after his next two years are up... right when he's turning 29.

He's not the right one to take the gamble on IMO.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm more looking at what could help the team, not living in the past. With Haula's injuries he might be open to a short cheap deal as a UFA.

Bjugstad might be available for cheap from Pit. I'm not a fan of his anymore, he's made of glass, but might work as a 1 year stop-gap for next season. If it doesn't work then let him walk or trade him at the TDL next year.
If we're being ruthlessly realistic, Turris is another that I can't imagine would cost much. He's doing a little better this year and may have room to improve with better wingers... but I'm not sure we can actually handle that contract.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
A guy who scored 99 points isn't a difference maker?
He's definitely a difference maker, but Minnesota and Calgary share a lot of the same problems. Good defense and wingers, squishy at center and in goal, some bad contracts and a lack of right-shot forwards. If he isn't getting the Flames over the hump I'm skeptical that he would here, either.

I mean if they were actually up for Gaudreau for Zuccarello and Donato then hell yes, but that's obviously not how it'd work out.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If we're being ruthlessly realistic, Turris is another that I can't imagine would cost much. He's doing a little better this year and may have room to improve with better wingers... but I'm not sure we can actually handle that contract.
Stay far away! FAR AWAY from Turris!

Reactions: DonatoisDaddy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
CGY's D isn't as good as ours, but their forwards are better. Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, and Lucic are better than anything we have.

Brodie and Hamonic have declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad