Proposal: Trade for the 1st overall pick.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
His edge work is ridiculous his agility is on par with anyone’s imo the only thing Drais has on him skating wise is Balance because he isn’t fully grown
I disagree. His skating looks great when you say "for a big man". But his edge-work and agility is actually what he should focus to improve a little. I wasn't comparing him to Draisaitl.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I disagree. His skating looks great when you say "for a big man". But his edge-work and agility is actually what he should focus to improve a little. I wasn't comparing him to Draisaitl.
Ohh okay yes Agree to disagree I guess.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I've said it before, say it again.

Trading for LAF is attempting to change the trajectory of two franchises.

If you are intent on doing that, its gonna cost more than 3rd OA and Brady.

The masses here can say what they want.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Most people believe Sturtzel will be heading to LA 2nd overall. I also apologize I underestimated certain people’s lack of intelligence. Just because a player could be better doesn’t mean they will. Lafranier is looking like a sure thing Claude Giroux type player ( LW ) Byfield has the tools to be an absolute beast he is a better skater then Lafranier at 6.5 he can develop into an elite skating 2 way power forward something like Drais but Byfield is a much better skater. Byfield is also an 02 and Lafranier is an 01.

Hold on there... Over here on the LA Kings board we have a strong Contingent for picking Byfield with the 2OA. He seems to have more upside than Laf.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Hold on there... Over here on the LA Kings board we have a strong Contingent for picking Byfield with the 2OA. He seems to have more upside than Laf.
That's because LA has the #2 pick... I'm confident they pick Lafreniere if they had the #1. I do like Stutzle though. It's a skating league and this guy can flat out skate and handle the puck at top speed. A little bit of that Barzel shiftiness to his skating. My knock on him is that NHL is a different league and I feel like he'll get knocked off the puck much more trying to do a lot of that - unlike Barzel who is tough to knock off the puck. Get him a coach who makes sure he improves away from the puck and he should turn into something real special.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Let's clear the air - Nobody is getting that pick without a SEVERE, MASSIVE overpayment
Do we expect that to happen? No.
Are we asking for a ridiculous amount? Yes.
Are we out of our minds? Absolutely.

However...

Oh I remember those days, when having the 1st overall pick meant the future was bright. This is so 2012, so a word of advise, look closer at the offers as it’s still a magic bean, no matter what Draft experts say.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Oh I remember those days, when having the 1st overall pick meant the future was bright. This is so 2012, so a word of advise, look closer at the offers as it’s still a magic bean, no matter what Draft experts say.
Certainly then you'd wished you'd traded the first overall pick in 2015?

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Sorry, but that is the reality of the situation, even reported by the post. 3,5,Brady get's the conversation started, and it's not enough. Don't like it? Well...

Why don't you guys just keep those picks and make them. We'll keep and make ours.

3 + 5 + Brady gets the conversation started... you are mad! And not the angry type mad, but the crazy kind. Well...judging by your handle maybe its both.

Those three assets get the conversion started finished and out the door before Dorion can come to his senses.

The top three are tight this year. As many have said, Lafreniere's main separation is his VERY high floor. The players available at 5 also have star potential. I would not be surprised if Raymond or Drysdale become the best player out of this draft. And Brady is a stud. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT CROSBY OR MCDAVID. You are confusing the time Lafreniere has been considered the top of this draft with his degree of separation from 2 + 3.

He should go #1 but not by two great assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: xVolchenkov

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
3 + 5 + Brady gets the conversation started... you are mad! And not the angry type mad, but the crazy kind. Well...judging by your handle maybe its both.

Those three assets get the conversion started finished and out the door before Dorion can come to his senses.

The top three are tight this year. As many have said, Lafreniere's main separation is his VERY low ceiling. The players available at 5 also have star potential. I would not be surprised if Raymond or Drysdale become the best player out of this draft. And Brady is a stud. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT CROSBY OR MCDAVID. You are confusing the time Lafreniere has been considered the top of this draft with his degree of separation from 2 + 3.

He should go #1 but not by two great assets.
Yes, we are mad. And we. don't. care.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If I’m Ottawa, I’m very happily holding on to Tkachuk, 3 and 5, and letting the Rangers draft as many Lafrenieres as they want.

I’m not sure the difference between the two is going to be all that big.
I don't know.. I mean, if we can get 3 Lafrenieres it might be a difference.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I made that clear earlier in this thread. We have an asset we have no need or want to trade. So any offer to get it will have to be an incredible overpayment.

Sure. But just curious. Why just INCREDIBLE overpayment as opposed to regular overpayment? Not that you could actually get the trade in question but isn't any type of overpayment by definition good for your team? ...oh I forgot, we agreed you are mad.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Sure. But just curious. Why just INCREDIBLE overpayment as opposed to regular overpayment? Not that you could actually get the trade in question but isn't any type of overpayment by definition good for your team? ...oh I forgot, we agreed you are mad.
Because that's what it would take. We aren't expecting to get it either. The Rangers will be making that pick and taking Laf #1.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
The rangers would be far smarter using the pick to trade down and grab one of the top two centers in the draft another another good young prospect rather than drafting Laf. As a devils fan though please by all means draft another winger. Like if you could get Tkachuk and stutzle/byfield instead of laf you take that deal every day from an objective point of view. It’s why Ottawa are the ones people say shouldn’t do that trade. It’s crazy lopsided against them.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
no team is going to offer what it would take to get NYR to even think about it,
something like 3 firsts (or equal) (2 very high), a few 2ds or equivalent, near-ready prospect, best a F
(NO reason NYR should settle for less)
probably only
Ott (3d, 5th, +1st,+2d's,+~Gruden)) or
Buffalo(Cozens, 8thOA, Samuelsson or Johnson, Pekar, +2ds)
have the pieces
and they are just as likely not to offer those excess packages

and NYR would likely still take the high-probability game-changer...

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Rangers would want Sens next 8 1st round picks. Dont like it? Don't trade for 1st overall. Anything short of a MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE over payment is already a no. THERE IS NO FAIR TRADE VALUE FOR THE 1ST OVERALL PICK. Not happening. Stop asking. 8 first round picks or go away.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Only two teams have the gas to make the Rangers an offer, using non-salary cap assets: LA and Ottawa.

Ottawa is not in a position, hockey trade-wise to make an offer. They have many core player-role holes that they can address using the 3 and 5. Their organization, while deep in prospects, lacks a 1C and a 1RHD. So a trade for 1OA makes no sense for them.

LA could easily do it, hockey trade-wise and asset-wise. But we simply don't care. Nearly all of us feel that our 2OA is almost as good and could even be better than Lafreniere for us to offer much. LA would offer something like 2OA and next year's first or this year's 2nd, and that's it. And I'm not even sure we would want to offer even that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad