Proposal: Trade for the 1st overall pick.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Brady Tkachuk and the third overall seems like a pretty considerable haul for the Rangers. But what’s the point if a top line center isn’t coming back? If I’m the Rangers, I’m trying to get Eichel and I’m dangling Lafreniere or Kaapo and other futures.
Enough with the Eichel stuff. The guy can't unscrew the Sabres, why is he the answer for us? I hope we are not dangling anything here.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
No Thanks from this Sens fan. Lets continue building our core with Brady and with whomever we get with the #3 pick. Though there are still dark clouds over our organization, for the first time in a few years, we finally..FINALLY have some reasons for hope and happiness, and both Brady as well as the #3 pick are major reasons for this.

As Ranger fans like to say - it would take a huge over-payment to get the #1 overall pick. Well I'm going to flip the script a little bit by saying that it would take an astronomical overpayment to get Brady out of Ottawa and this deal simply isn't that.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Sorry, but that is the reality of the situation, even reported by the post. 3,5,Brady get's the conversation started, and it's not enough. Don't like it? Well...

Why don't you guys just keep those picks and make them. We'll keep and make ours.

"we"? you're in the minority among rags fans

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Brady Tkachuk and the third overall seems like a pretty considerable haul for the Rangers. But what’s the point if a top line center isn’t coming back? If I’m the Rangers, I’m trying to get Eichel and I’m dangling Lafreniere or Kaapo and other futures.
Can the NYR fit a $10M per year C in this offseason with a flat cap? Hell, I thought it would be tough before the pause hit and the cap staying flat. They'd need to get rid of Strome and DeAngelo and then hope Hank hangs em up.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Most people believe Sturtzel will be heading to LA 2nd overall. I also apologize I underestimated certain people’s lack of intelligence. Just because a player could be better doesn’t mean they will. Lafranier is looking like a sure thing Claude Giroux type player ( LW ) Byfield has the tools to be an absolute beast he is a better skater then Lafranier at 6.5 he can develop into an elite skating 2 way power forward something like Drais but Byfield is a much better skater. Byfield is also an 02 and Lafranier is an 01.
Just because McKenzie prognosticated Stuztle as the #2 prospect in the draft and continues to push his assumption, does not mean the Kings are going to follow suit. In fact, most believe Byfield will be the pick at #2.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think Byfield would benefit not being in the NHL next year. NYR need to inject a roster player next season. It's going to be Laf. Byfield is going to enter a league where players don't give you all that transition room for odd man rushes/rushes from the blueline.

I really like Tkachuk, but he's another left winger who's not going to get anywhere near the 1st line on our team with Panarin around. (Not sure if he can play the right side) He'll also see his time on ice for the powerplay significantly drop. Our organization loves using Kreider in front of the net for the power play. I can't see that changing considering he's established himself as a great net-front player when it come sot screening and deflections.

It's great to say player B + Player C = More than Player A, but it's all about where do you fit them and what changes do you make? I just can't see NYR trading that #1 pick regardless of Tkachuk and #2 coming back. As for the Sens, you already have an LW you like, there's no need or reason to swap him for a different LW and lose another high pick.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Lol @ anyone who thinks 3+5+Brady isn’t enough for #1.

I think that Laf is going to be an amazing player and I understand why if you’re a Rangers fan you wouldn’t want to move the pick baring a massive overpayment. That being said, 3+5+BK is just that. This isn’t some 4 quarters for a dollar type offer.

As a Sens fan, I wouldn’t even trade 3+5 for 1 (but I’d understand why a lot of NYR fans wouldn’t either). I’m happy picking at 3 (Stutzle/Byfield) and 5 (hoping for Drysdale or Raymond but lots of good options available). Ottawa isn’t 1 LW away from being a contender. Stay the course and continue to build on the solid foundation we have.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Terrible trade for Sens, and lol at NYP even said it.
Then don't make it. Nobody forcing Sens to, just like nobody forcing the Rangers to.
See, here's the thing, the Rangers don't WANT or NEED to trade that pick. So if you want it, you have to offer something that would change their minds. That's the reality of the situation.

Reactions: RangerSeth and bbny

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Then don't make it. Nobody forcing Sens to, just like nobody forcing the Rangers to.
See, here's the thing, the Rangers don't WANT or NEED to trade that pick. So if you want it, you have to offer something that would change their minds. That's the reality of the situation.

Yup. And it's been stated multiple times that it's not about finding fair value on paper. It's just how it is, and it's why the #1 pick is rarely traded.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Oh for sure it would require a massive overpayment, ottawa just isnt in the position to do so, especially if you are asking us to add brady. Ottawa trading brady or chabot right now after the shit show the fans put up with recently would lead to a full boycott. It would have to be a deal that so massively favors ottawa to even be considered remotely ok. That wont happen here.

side note using the post to justify anything is bad since from my understanding they spew nonsense most of the time, just like if a sens fan was to use garrioch

ottawa isnt in a position to trade for laf unless the rangers are willing to do a picks for picks based deal (Which the rangers shouldnt do)

I honestly dont know which team would be in a position to trade for laf considering an overpayment is needed and rightfully so. Maybe the kings since they have the pieces to turn it around quicker? I would have said the Habs if they didnt do decently in this format but they actually did so I dont see them making a crazy move like this

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Oh for sure it would require a massive overpayment, ottawa just isnt in the position to do so, especially if you are asking us to add brady. Ottawa trading brady or chabot right now after the shit show the fans put up with recently would lead to a full boycott. It would have to be a deal that so massively favors ottawa to even be considered remotely ok. That wont happen here.

side note using the post to justify anything is bad since from my understanding they spew nonsense most of the time, just like if a sens fan was to use garrioch

ottawa isnt in a position to trade for laf unless the rangers are willing to do a picks for picks based deal (Which the rangers shouldnt do)

I honestly dont know which team would be in a position to trade for laf considering an overpayment is needed and rightfully so. Maybe the kings since they have the pieces to turn it around quicker? I would have said the Habs if they didnt do decently in this format but they actually did so I dont see them making a crazy move like this
montreal is not making an eric lindros offer for an elite winger. Rags can find their young C's elsewhere. Maybe they package wingers or maybe Z and strome are enough. they missed on the Andersson selection. Could've had Suzuki

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Lots of fake news in your post first its Lafreniere-Byfield is the #2 by most and he's 6.4 not 6.5.
There’s an interview out there where a LA scout talks on end about Stutzle after being asked about Byfield and Stutzle.
From an outsiders POV, the Kings can use a player like Stutzle who projects more as a winger at the next level than Byfield.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Lots of fake news in your post first its Lafreniere-Byfield is the #2 by most and he's 6.4 not 6.5.
On a couple mock drafts Sturtzel is 2nd overall. We’ll see I don’t know if you can dm on this but if you can I’ll give you my email and we can bet on it.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
He's actually not a better skater. He has faster acceleration and maybe top speed, but he's not a better skater.
His edge work is ridiculous his agility is on par with anyone’s imo the only thing Drais has on him skating wise is Balance because he isn’t fully grown

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
As a Unbiased Neutral fan, you’ve done nothing but shit on the Rangers and their players the last few weeks. :huh:
Lafranier is not a ranger yet. I think there is a chance they opt to upgrade Zibby then take Lafranier. I really like the Rangers I like every player but I think DeAngelo is the most overrated player in NHL history but that’s off topic.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Ottawa shouldn't offer this and the Rangers aren't going to trade the pick minus an over-payment of historic proportions. That's really the start and end of this thread, and the latter specifically, for any future 1st overall trade offers.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

That’s okay I don’t want it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad