Proposal: Trade for the 1st overall pick.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Only two teams have the gas to make the Rangers an offer, using non-salary cap assets: LA and Ottawa.
Ottawa is not in a position, hockey trade-wise to make an offer. They have many core player-role holes that they can address using the 3 and 5. Their organization, while deep in prospects, lacks a 1C and a 1RHD. So a trade for 1OA makes no sense for them.
LA could easily do it, hockey trade-wise and asset-wise. But we simply don't care. Nearly all of us feel that our 2OA is almost as good and could even be better than Lafreniere for us to offer much. LA would offer something like 2OA and next year's first or this year's 2nd, and that's it. And I'm not even sure we would want to offer even that much.

i would argue Buff also has the goods to make NYR at least consider,
a la 8OA, Cozens, Samuellson or Johnson, Pekar, + 1st & 2d(s) were on the table

but they likely won't offer that, and NYR just as likely decline anyway

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

I don’t think that’s enough to be honest.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
While I think Lafranier is all but guaranteed to be a star In the Mold of a LW Claude Giroux I think Byfield can mold into a better version of Draistle because he skates like a player that’s 5.7. So in short I agree. Although I’d never take anyone over Laf because he is such low risk.

A better version of draistl? Boy are you high

Reactions: TFHockey

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Correct. The absolute last thing we need is another LW (or RD). Those positions aren't really worth anything to us at this point. It's not like Lafreniere is some generational talent, so position be damned. Cozens is a really good C prospect, the 8th pick could get us another really good C/RW prospect (or it could be traded for something we actually need).

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
A better version of draistl? Boy are you high
He is 10x the skater of drais and has all the tools + more then what he had. Byfield Is far better for his age. Let’s not forget Drais wasn’t exactly as highly touted as a prospect

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
No thanks, wouldn’t even do 3rd and 5th. Especially wouldn’t do 3rd and a fan favourite who is looking great so far

Reactions: BigCanadian

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Ottawa's 3th pick and Isle's Pick and a 2nd rounder for the 1st overall. Rangers can get a center and Ottawa gets a winger. Both teams draft for positions they need. IMO I think this is an over pay since the gulf between 1st and 3rd is not as great as some perceive it to be.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Ottawa's 3th pick and Isle's Pick and a 2nd rounder for the 1st overall. Rangers can get a center and Ottawa gets a winger. Both teams draft for positions they need. IMO I think this is an over pay since the gulf between 1st and 3rd is not as great as some perceive it to be.
We don't need more picks. We have a good enough farm system. Rangers would easily decline.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
He is 10x the skater of drais and has all the tools + more then what he had. Byfield Is far better for his age. Let’s not forget Drais wasn’t exactly as highly touted as a prospect
Yes, but draisatl is an mvp level talent, byfield is not and if he was he’d be going 1st overall

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
After reading this thread I’m convinced NYR would need to add to the 1st pick to move down. Thank you, HF

Reactions: LionsHeart

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
NOPE

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
lol Tkachuk and Byfield ( who both could easily be better then Lafranier )>>>>>1st overall.

as a neutral fan

Neither one of them will ever be as good as Lafreniere. Lafreniere is a special player and it's about time people stopped trying to make it seem like he's less. Tkachuk is a wonderful powerforward. He's not Lafreniere. He won't make everybody around him better. I doubt Byfield will either. There are very few players in the game that can do that and have that kind of talent.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
His edge-work and balance is not nearly as good as Draisaitl. He can't protect the puck like Draisaitl while being bumped, pushed, and hit. Maybe that changes and he takes off to a Draisaitl level, but the only thing he currently has on him is speed.

When you look at Byfield you see pieces that make you think if it all comes together, this prospect is going to be real special, but if it doesn't, you may regret that pick. So, yes, he could end up a Draisaitl level player over time.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
1OA simply don’t get traded

I’d love to see it though. If a team valued other draftees a certain way and could get an overpayment ...oof that’d be a ballsy move.

Lafreniere is a safe pick to be one of the best players in the draft, but in time that may not necessarily be the case.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Yes, but draisatl is an mvp level talent, byfield is not and if he was he’d be going 1st overall
If drais was an MVP talent he’d be going 1st overall....what are you even talking about Byfield has higher potential then Lafranier but Lafranier is ready to step into the NHL as a star and Byfield like Drais is not. Some prospects take time to develop and Lafranier being a year older is more developed but not even imo it’s facts that Byfield has a better tool set hes just not as developed physically he also has his faults he needs to work on but the faults he has usually go away from development thats why he’s so exciting.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Neither one of them will ever be as good as Lafreniere. Lafreniere is a special player and it's about time people stopped trying to make it seem like he's less. Tkachuk is a wonderful powerforward. He's not Lafreniere. He won't make everybody around him better. I doubt Byfield will either. There are very few players in the game that can do that and have that kind of talent.
Byfield is a 6 foot 4 centre who has the potential to develop into a Drais esq type player but the difference between him and Drais for his age is he skates like he’s 5 foot 7 he is an truly elite skater up with the likes of Larkin, Mackinnon, etc which is abnormal for his frame. Lafranier is going to step in right away to be a star and Byfield won’t but down the road there is a chance he develops into an MVP level talent he has the tool box of Eric Lindros why he isn’t going 1st is because he has faults ( that can be fixed ) and a far less developed game then Lafranier.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
His edge-work and balance is not nearly as good as Draisaitl. He can't protect the puck like Draisaitl while being bumped, pushed, and hit. Maybe that changes and he takes off to a Draisaitl level, but the only thing he currently has on him is speed.

When you look at Byfield you see pieces that make you think if it all comes together, this prospect is going to be real special, but if it doesn't, you may regret that pick. So, yes, he could end up a Draisaitl level player over time.
Edge work I disagree but I 100% agree that his balance is not the greatest but luckily that comes with growth. I also agree with the rest that is why he isn’t going 1st and potentially not even 2nd.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
That's because LA has the #2 pick... I'm confident they pick Lafreniere if they had the #1. I do like Stutzle though. It's a skating league and this guy can flat out skate and handle the puck at top speed. A little bit of that Barzel shiftiness to his skating. My knock on him is that NHL is a different league and I feel like he'll get knocked off the puck much more trying to do a lot of that - unlike Barzel who is tough to knock off the puck. Get him a coach who makes sure he improves away from the puck and he should turn into something real special.

Sorry let me correct myself I actually was referring to a contingent of Kings fans who want Byfield over Stutzle. I didn't mean to refer to Byfield over Laf that was an error on my part.
It would be insane to not take Laf if the Rangers opted to go with a center with their #1 pick. An elite LW next to Turcotte or Villarde would kill for the ne. Then ad Kaliyev to the top 6 then Fagemo.. Ah well. I guess we. Can't have it all can we???

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
in another lafreniere trade thread i said the Sens would laugh at 3 + 5 and Tkachuk as the offer and some NYR posters said that was STILL not enough value :laugh:

Sens won't offer that but if they did, the Rangers would take that and run! Imagine... Lafreniere for Tkachuk, Drysdale, & one of Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Edge work I disagree but I 100% agree that his balance is not the greatest but luckily that comes with growth. I also agree with the rest that is why he isn’t going 1st and potentially not even 2nd.

Byfield could be Drai or he could be Dach who we don't know how good is yet. Byfield is a big boy that skates well and those types can destroy CHL talent. How he adjust to less time and space as a big boy is yet to be determined. I find Byfield is hard to pin down. Definitely a top 5 pick value though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad