Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like this signing... came in about 100k below what Evolving Hockey projected.

It seems like many of them have been coming under their projections. Not super surprising given the flat cap and COVID. I think DeMelo came under their projections as well.

LaScheifers

Feb 20, 2019
One thing I will note for everyone on here advocating for a laine trade based on the cap....especially saying he didnt sign long term.. we did NOT have the cap space to do a long term contract with laine...even for 9M...Buff and little were both still on the books negating any sort of a long term contract with laine. Now dont get me wrong, if a trade occurs that makes the jets better both short and long term I'm all for it...I doubt it happens as laine is quite special...but I want you to think on why Chevy's price is so high...he values him greatly...if that hasnt occurred to any of you...as it seems it hasnt

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is a trade that I have been turning over in my mind for a couple of weeks. It gets complicated by relative values and cap needs etc. I did it in steps so I will go through it here the same way.

NYI get
Laine

Jets get
Pulock

There are 2 major flaws there. 1) NYI still haven't got enough cap space to sign Barzal. 2) That is not enough for Laine.

Isles also send us Beauvillier. I think that gets the value up to about right for Laine, or close enough. It also gets the Isles some, but still not enough, cap space.

So we also take Ladd's contract. Hold on. Don't burn me at the stake yet. :laugh: We don't do that for free.
They add Wohlstrom for that. It is 3 years at 5.5. That is worth that price. And, importantly, they now have enough cap space to sign Barzal. Call Laine and Pulock a wash on cap hit. They have 8.9 minus Laine's 6.75 = 2.15 + Beauvilliers 2.1 = 4.25 + Ladd's 5.5 = 9.75.

We do not have enough cap space though. With the addition of Pulock we can afford to move Pionk, no problem. We can't take any cap back though. Sens have lots of cap space and could use an upgrade at RD. They have 3 2nds next draft. I think the earliest one would be sufficient. If not Sens there are a couple of other teams who would probably be interested. We also have to buy out Perreault. Pulock filed for arb so we are eligible for the second buyout period. That gives us enough space for everyone.

NYI give up Pulock, but they have Dobson plus some good D prospects. They can afford that loss. They get to keep Barzal happy and add a big scoring threat to their scoring deprived team.

Jets give up Laine. Definitely a big loss. But we gain Pulock, the 1RD we need. He fills Pionks roster spot. Beauvillier takes Perreault's roster spot plays 2 LW, with Ehlers moving into Laine's spot. Wohlstrom is a coming top 6 RW. When he is ready he can move Ehlers back to LW or replace Wheeler when Wheeler declines.

A big part of what we pay is the dead cap space we take on. We can afford it though because we don't have any big raises on the horizon until it has expired.

I assume this needs to get done before Pulock's arb hearing on Nov 6.

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Stastny - Wohlstrom
Beauvillier - Copp - Roslovic
Harkins - Lowry - Appleton

Morrissey - Pulock
Samberg - DeMelo
Forbort - Poolman

:stanley:

OK, done. Rip me apart. :laugh:

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There is a trade that I have been turning over in my mind for a couple of weeks. It gets complicated by relative values and cap needs etc. I did it in steps so I will go through it here the same way.

NYI get
Laine

Jets get
Pulock

There are 2 major flaws there. 1) NYI still haven't got enough cap space to sign Barzal. 2) That is not enough for Laine.

Isles also send us Beauvillier. I think that gets the value up to about right for Laine, or close enough. It also gets the Isles some, but still not enough cap space.

So we also take Ladd's contract. Hold on. Don't burn me at the stake yet. :laugh: We don't do that for free.
They add Wohlstrom for that. It is 3 years at 5.5. That is worth that price. And, importantly, they now have enough cap space to sign Barzal. Call Laine and Pulock a wash on cap hit. They have 9.9 minus Laine's 6.75 = 2.15 + Beauvilliers 2.1 = 4.25 + Ladd's 5.5 = 9.75.

We do not have enough cap space though. With the addition of Pulock we can afford to move Pionk, no problem. We can't take any cap back though. Sens have lots of cap space and could use an upgrade at RD. They have 3 2nds next draft. I think the earliest one would be sufficient. If not Sens there are a couple of other teams who would probably be interested. We also have to buy out Perreault. Pulock filed for arb so we are eligible for the second buyout period. That gives us enough space for everyone.

NYI give up Pulock, but they have Dobson plus some good D prospects. They can afford that loss. They get to keep Barzal happy and add a big scoring threat to their scoring deprived team.

Jets give up Laine. Definitely a big loss. But we gain Pulock, the 1RD we need. He fills Pionks roster spot. Beauvillier takes Perreault's roster spot plays 2 LW, with Ehlers moving into Laine's spot. Wohlstrom is a coming top 6 RW. When he is ready he can move Ehlers back to LW or replace Wheeler when Wheeler declines.

A big part of what we pay is the dead cap space we take on. We can afford it though because we don't have any big raises on the horizon until it has expired.

Morrissey - Pulock
Samberg - DeMelo
Forbort - Poolman

Impressed with the work you put into this Mort and you have improved the bottom 6 along the way ;)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

NYI get
Laine

Jets get
Pulock

Isles also send us Beauvillier. I think that gets the value up to about right for Laine, or close enough. It also gets the Isles some, but still not enough cap space.

They add Wohlstrom for that. It is 3 years at 5.5. That is worth that price. And, importantly, they now have enough cap space to sign Barzal. Call Laine and Pulock a wash on cap hit. They have 9.9 minus Laine's 6.75 = 2.15 + Beauvilliers 2.1 = 4.25 + Ladd's 5.5 = 9.75.

Morrissey - Pulock
Samberg - DeMelo
Forbort - Poolman

Your proposal is well thought out but unfortunately stops at the start with Laine for Pulock. In that same article that caused the recent Laine stir, the Athletic's Islanders beat writer Arthur Staple says that's a non-starter for them. It leaves them with only Noah Dobson on the right side after Toews has been traded, and he's likely not ready to take that on.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your proposal is well thought out but unfortunately stops at the start with Laine for Pulock. In that same article that caused the recent Laine stir, the Athletic's Islanders beat writer Arthur Staple says that's a non-starter for them. It leaves them with only Noah Dobson on the right side after Toews has been traded, and he's likely not ready to take that on.

:laugh: Right. I've been thinking of this since before they traded Toews. What were they thinking? :laugh:

They have Boychuck on the right. Well past his prime but has that steadying veteran presence. They also have Mayfield. He's a big RD with a fair bit of NHL experience and some talent. Then they have Wilde in the minors. So I take your point, but I don't think it is a fatal error. I would happily send them Pionk but then they are back at cap trouble.

They may have to live with some loss on their D corps for a year or so in order to keep Barzal and strengthen their offense.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
:laugh: Right. I've been thinking of this since before they traded Toews. What were they thinking? :laugh:

They have Boychuck on the right. Well past his prime but has that steadying veteran presence. They also have Mayfield. He's a big RD with a fair bit of NHL experience and some talent. Then they have Wilde in the minors. So I take your point, but I don't think it is a fatal error. I would happily send them Pionk but then they are back at cap trouble.

They may have to live with some loss on their D corps for a year or so in order to keep Barzal and strengthen their offense.

Mayfield isn't much more than a 4 right now, and Boychuk may not even play after his injury history. I don't think they'd risk putting too much on Dobson and a prospect with no NHL experience in order to add Laine.

You're right they might have to live with some loss but I think they want to move cap to sign Pulock, so trading him is counter to what they want to do. They could only keep 2 of Barzal, Pulock and Toews and they've made the choice. They have about $9m in cap space right now.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013

NYI get
Laine

Jets get
Pulock

Isles also send us Beauvillier. I think that gets the value up to about right for Laine, or close enough. It also gets the Isles some, but still not enough, cap space.

They add Wohlstrom for that. It is 3 years at 5.5. That is worth that price. And, importantly, they now have enough cap space to sign Barzal. Call Laine and Pulock a wash on cap hit. They have 8.9 minus Laine's 6.75 = 2.15 + Beauvilliers 2.1 = 4.25 + Ladd's 5.5 = 9.75.

Morrissey - Pulock
Samberg - DeMelo
Forbort - Poolman

Well you don't deserve to be ripped apart by any means, its pretty reasonable. I would much rather keep Pionk though, that would make our d so much stronger. I like Pulock but it is unlikely he becomes an elite D. Without Pionk it feels like too much of a lateral move.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mayfield isn't much more than a 4 right now, and Boychuk may not even play after his injury history. I don't think they'd risk putting too much on Dobson and a prospect with no NHL experience in order to add Laine.

You're right they might have to live with some loss but I think they want to move cap to sign Pulock, so trading him is counter to what they want to do. They could only keep 2 of Barzal, Pulock and Toews and they've made the choice. They have about $9m in cap space right now.

Yeah, except they could only keep 1 of Pulock and Barzal as it stands now. They have enough cap to sign one. But you are probably right. They will still be trying to move cap. Not going to be easy and they need quite a bit. Maybe they plan on LTIR'ing Boychuck. That would just about do it for them. Then give Barzal a 1 year deal for a little less money and they can do it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well you don't deserve to be ripped apart by any means, its pretty reasonable. I would much rather keep Pionk though, that would make our d so much stronger. I like Pulock but it is unlikely he becomes an elite D. Without Pionk it feels like too much of a lateral move.

I think Pulock is a lot better than Pionk. I agree he is not elite, but he is a legit 1st pairing Dman. I don't see Pionk being a need on the 3rd pair and he costs too much for a 3rd pair D. I think Poolman is being under appreciated here. He was not up to playing on the 1st pair with Morrissey last year. But he is perfectly good on the 3rd pair.

But I forgot about NYI having traded Toews. That makes this look pretty weak for them. I would be fine giving them Pionk but then they still need to find ~3 mil in cap. We get them closer, but I don't see them losing Pulock for a deal that doesn't make it all the way on the cap issue.

Maybe if we give them Pionk and they LTIR Boychuk ........ Not as tidy a fit, but who knows?

Reactions: Total Cure

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Agreed......I actually quite fine with some of them. Obviously some I like more then others......but they are reasonable IMO.
I actually don't know how to rank them. Would have to do a lot more research probably...find them all to be fair. Would prefer Necas to Trochek though...sure of that.

Really good proposals though...probably stole them from this thread.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

My takes, IMO...
I like the Florida and NYI trades.
I’m ok with the Carolina deal
Not a fan of the Flyers trade
No interest in the CBJ deal

I agree with BatVader's assessment, more or less.

But, they're all pretty ok deals - much better than a lot of the proposals I've read elsewhere.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Our GM should've known that when he decided to extend Blake for 5 years. Somehow he thought could sign Bryan Little for 6 too and make it all work somehow. How can anyone here still defend that decision?

I agree that both those contracts were too long - but wheeler hasn't failed to produce yet and you can hardly blame Chevy for not having the foresight to anticipate Little's injury.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

NYI get
Laine

Jets get
Pulock

Morrissey - Pulock
Samberg - DeMelo
Forbort - Poolman

Missing a pretty significant add from the Islanders.

Reactions: jokesondee

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Missing a pretty significant add from the Islanders.

Really?
We get Pulock, Beauvillier and Wahlstrom.
They get Laine + cap space.

I do that all day long.

Unfortunately, I don't think NYI would be willing to give up Pulock considering their right side D situation with him gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad