Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pionk might be traded if Carlo was added, depends if one of them can LHD. Then after expansion the team would reevaluate where Heinola & Samberg are at development wise. Nothing is a sure thing with either rookie.

Interesting thought on trading Pionk this season. Moving Laine and him would force Maurice to really alter our PP setup.

I wonder if we could get an equivilant LD for Pionk.

Morrissey Carlo
Xxxx DeMelo
Samberg poolman/Beau

I would be pretty ok with that defensive set up. Having a big physical dmen with JoMo on the top pairing might make Morrissey more comfortable playing that chippy game he is capable of playing. Also there are similarities in style of play between Morrissey and Macovoy so I can see the pairing having success.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Interesting thought on trading Pionk this season. Moving Laine and him would force Maurice to really alter our PP setup.

I wonder if we could get an equivilant LD for Pionk.

Morrissey Carlo
Xxxx DeMelo
Samberg poolman/Beau

I would be pretty ok with that defensive set up. Having a big physical dmen with JoMo on the top pairing might make Morrissey more comfortable playing that chippy game he is capable of playing. Also there are similarities in style of play between Morrissey and Macovoy so I can see the pairing having success.

Yes that's my thought also, move Pionk to get a LHD or increase the return in The Laine trade.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Interesting comment about the "to us" perspective. I always find it interesting to read what other fan bases believe is fair when they talk among themselves on their own boards. No doubt the truth of what Laine is worth is somewhere in the middle of what Jets fans believe and what other fan bases believe.

"To us" just meant more of the HF crowd in general than the Jets fan base in particular. I've found there is a definite slant towards the younger, newer players value over existing players. Prospects are most people's favourites.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Interesting comment about the "to us" perspective. I always find it interesting to read what other fan bases believe is fair when they talk among themselves on their own boards. No doubt the truth of what Laine is worth is somewhere in the middle of what Jets fans believe and what other fan bases believe.

Bolded is very true, some here have very unrealistic high expectations on what he would return and some fans from other teams have no clue what his value would be, meaning they think way too little.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
The Boston trade would be interesting (assuming Laine actually wants out) if we could include Studnicka. He was named to the AHL all rookie team and looks like he has top 6 C upside. Add in a top 6 wing replacement with some grit in DeBrusk and a big, young top 4 RHD that maybe has some untapped offensive potential, plus a pick.

Laine + Pionk for DeBrusk, Carlo, Studnicka, 1st.

2 late 1sts in the 2021 draft is never bad. Package them to trade up or take 2 picks.

Connor Scheif Wheels
DeBrusk Stats Ehlers
Harkins Studnicka Roslovic
Copp Lowry Appleton
Perreault

With high end depth still on the way in Vesalainen, Gus, Perfetti, etc.

JMo - Carlo
Samberg - DeMelo
Niku - Poolman
Forbert - Beaulieu

With Heinola still coming.

For the expansion draft Studnicka is exempt so protection wise it doesn't cause issues.

For the PP I'd go Wheeler down low in Connor's spot. Connor in Laine's spot. Ehlers on the other half wall in Wheelers' old spot. Scheif in the slot and then I'd have to see who ran the point best. JMO, Carlo or Niku. Without just trying to force feed Laine maybe it's less important having the RH shot on the point.

I'd actually be on board with this. Might actually make the team more well rounded by adding some grit to the top 6 and gives us a shot at a long term top pair RHD in Carlo. He's only 23 right now so there's likely still room to improve.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Bolded is very true, some here have very unrealistic high expectations on what he would return and some fans from other teams have no clue what his value would be, meaning they think way too little.
Of course this isn't just true for Laine, he is just the most obvious example at this point in time.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The Boston trade would be interesting (assuming Laine actually wants out) if we could include Studnicka. He was named to the AHL all rookie team and looks like he has top 6 C upside. Add in a top 6 wing replacement with some grit in DeBrusk and a big, young top 4 RHD that maybe has some untapped offensive potential, plus a pick.

Laine + Pionk for DeBrusk, Carlo, Studnicka, 1st.

2 late 1sts in the 2021 draft is never bad. Package them to trade up or take 2 picks.

Connor Scheif Wheels
DeBrusk Stats Ehlers
Harkins Studnicka Roslovic
Copp Lowry Appleton
Perreault

With high end depth still on the way in Vesalainen, Gus, Perfetti, etc.

JMo - Carlo
Samberg - DeMelo
Niku - Poolman
Forbert - Beaulieu

With Heinola still coming.

For the expansion draft Studnicka is exempt so protection wise it doesn't cause issues.

For the PP I'd go Wheeler down low in Connor's spot. Connor in Laine's spot. Ehlers on the other half wall in Wheelers' old spot. Scheif in the slot and then I'd have to see who ran the point best. JMO, Carlo or Niku. Without just trying to force feed Laine maybe it's less important having the RH shot on the point.

I'd actually be on board with this. Might actually make the team more well rounded by adding some grit to the top 6 and gives us a shot at a long term top pair RHD in Carlo. He's only 23 right now so there's likely still room to improve.

Agreed. I’ll say the Boston option/speculation is just one option, certainly not saying it’s not the only option and not even saying it would be the best option. Personally I’m just saying it’s a very solid/good type of offer and I would very happy with it.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
No real interest in that Bruins deal.... not really what we should be looking at for a Laine return... I think we could and should do much better.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No real interest in that Bruins deal.... not really what we should be looking at for a Laine return... I think we could and should do much better.
Actually I think the Bruins deal we have been discussing is on the optimistic side since we have also added their 2nd best prospect on top of what was previously suggested in the article.

Reactions: ps241 and LowLefty

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Actually I think the Bruins deal we have been discussing is on the optimistic side since we have also added their 2nd best prospect on top of what was previously suggested in the article.

Agreed.......I think we would be very lucky or fortunate to do that well for Laine trade. This is where some have very different opinions on what Laine is worth and would return during a flat cap period in time. Time will tell

Last edited:
Reactions: LowLefty

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

If Studnicka comes along then it's a great trade but I'm not convinced Boston would do give him up for Laine.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Studnicka comes along then it's a great trade but I'm not convinced Boston would do give him up for Laine.
Neither am I. Kind of doubt it actually, but I'm a homer like most around here though I do think I tend to the more realistic then some expectations I've read.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

That's partly why Pionk was added as an idea, to sweeten the deal a bit for Boston.....plus helps us expansion wise

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Who is their 2nd best prospect?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ignoring most of your post b/c it's all moot IMO b/c the premise your presenting is incredibly one sided, heavy bais in favour of Laine that it's pure homerism. You want to talk wild speculation, doubling Laine value is impossible in a few months training........I can't be so heavily one sided bais in our favour like your suggesting, I just can't do that, IMO it's a waste of time and borderline embarressing to talk like that. That's why I use real stats, real results to talk.......it helps remove any homer bais.

If you want to talk more realistic and say Laine incrementally improves this offseason......ok we can talk about it. But saying he wildly improves (doubling his value), is just a waste of time I'll pass on that conversation b/c we will just waste each other's time.

I would suggest many (meaning multi teams) teams would start by offering their current 1C+ for Eichel.......which in most cases beat out Laine+.........value in a bubble might be closer, but fit is much better then offering a winger as the main piece.

Example of what I mean, I'm ok speculating Laine will score 35+ goals and even get to 75+ points, improving his conditioning, incrementally improving his defensive play. IMO this a realistic & fair expectation regarding Laine improving this offseason. Let's ignore all our other comments and use this as the starting point for our conversation instead of vague comments. How does this compare to your speculation on Laines increase in value? Once we get to a base starting point on what Laine value is then we can talk from there.

OK, ignoring most of your post, I will just repeat my last paragraph from the post you are ignoring.

If you are not interested in that speculation, you are free to decline to do so. You are also free to say you reject that scenario and state that nothing less than Scheifele would do. But it doesn't work if you just ignore the criteria and plow ahead as though you were answering the question as asked. It just leads to this kind of exchange.

My original post proposed a certain scenario, with certain criteria and included these words "just for fun". If you didn't want to play the game, all you had to do was say so. Or simply say nothing.

I'm done here.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
OK, ignoring most of your post, I will just repeat my last paragraph from the post you are ignoring.

My original post proposed a certain scenario, with certain criteria and included these words "just for fun". If you didn't want to play the game, all you had to do was say so. Or simply say nothing.

I'm done here.

Sounds good :thumbu:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well he ain't getting that type of cash now given COVID.

It's likely Laine @ $8 million vs. Echel at 10 and don't think anyone was proposing one for one. Most other top centers have been quantity for quality.

I started this latest round and it was a slightly tongue in cheek, purely hypothetical scenario following a serious breakout season from Laine. Some people had trouble with the hypothetical part. And I still included a couple of pretty good adds. I was open to discussing other or even more adds. But apparently Laine requires the addition of Scheifele or it is a no go - no matter what else is added. :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
and most other top Cs when they were traded had C depth to stomach that trade.... Boston had Bergeron-Krejci, Colorado had Mackinnon (and eventually added kadri), Buffalo had Eichel and Reinhart (still in potential but obviously that didn't amount to actuality)

Buffalo currently has Eichel, 36 year old Staal and not much else for top 6 C talent. So removing Eichel and adding Laine (while they have strong talent currently on Wing) doesn't really help them.

if laine would sign for 8M, think we would have already had that locked up.

What Laine would sign for now and what he will sign for next off-season may not be the same thing. He and his agent will need to acknowledge some realities, like them or not. Covid and the flat cap are realities. Laine's performance in the last year of his 'show me' contract will be another. I think it will be the big one. Another incremental step up this year and 8-8.5 might be realistic. A big step forward and the top number will be dictated by just how big a step it is, plus the flat cap, etc.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I started this latest round and it was a slightly tongue in cheek, purely hypothetical scenario following a serious breakout season from Laine. Some people had trouble with the hypothetical part. And I still included a couple of pretty good adds. I was open to discussing other or even more adds. But apparently Laine requires the addition of Scheifele or it is a no go - no matter what else is added. :sarcasm:
Scheif and Laine for Eichel and Dahlin?

Reactions: Jetsetter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad